Author Topic: Incredible interview with Elijah Dukes  (Read 7261 times)

Offline NatsNut

• pink caps suck
Re: Incredible interview with Elijah Dukes
« Reply #50: January 10, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
That is the question of questions. He certainly doesn't have the personality to lay off the first pitch most of the time so chances look slim, but let's see if the hard knocks he has had recently have awakened him into a man of men.

That's what I thought until that walk-off walk back in the summer of 08.  Wow, talk about *patience*

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #51: January 10, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
I thought it was just the curve he was having trouble with and was supposed to try and master at Winter Ball.

Anyway, that article from Bill Latkins was so great.  I'm pulling for him to do well now more than ever, and not just for the team's sake either. 

Go Dukes!

NatsNut is catching on pretty fast to some of the insider stuff here.

Offline NatsNut

• pink caps suck
« Reply #52: January 10, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
Yea, I assumed it was from that "Adam Zimmerman" article or somesuch, which I have a story about.

When I saw the article about Adam Zimmerman, what, back in winter 07?, I wanted to rant to somebody but couldn't figure out how to email Ladson so I ended up emailing Kasten because I actually had his email address.  I subsequently found Ladson's email and proceeded to rip into him too.  When he emailed me back he said that Kasten had gotten my email and called him out on the mistake in front of everyone, which really mortified me.  I didn't intend that kind of humiliation.  But then he got really ugly with me and told me that he in fact did NOT make the mistake I had accused him of, nor would he EVER make that mistake.  I mean, wow.  So I googled it, found the cached article he probably tried to delete, then sent it to him saying he should figure out how to delete from the web before he made such claims of perfection.

I've never said a word about it since because I was a little embarrassed myself, but I've never liked Ladson since.  Well.  Except for the Dukes article.  That was good.     

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #53: January 10, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
Yea, I assumed it was from that "Adam Zimmerman" article or somesuch, which I have a story about.

When I saw the article about Adam Zimmerman, what, back in winter 07?, I wanted to rant to somebody but couldn't figure out how to email Ladson so I ended up emailing Kasten because I actually had his email address.  I subsequently found Ladson's email and proceeded to rip into him too.  When he emailed me back he said that Kasten had gotten my email and called him out on the mistake in front of everyone, which really mortified me.  I didn't intend that kind of humiliation.  But then he got really ugly with me and told me that he in fact did NOT make the mistake I had accused him of, nor would he EVER make that mistake.  I mean, wow.  So I googled it, found the cached article he probably tried to delete, then sent it to him saying he should figure out how to delete from the web before he made such claims of perfection.

I've never said a word about it since because I was a little embarrassed myself, but I've never liked Ladson since.  Well.  Except for the Dukes article.  That was good.     

He makes a fair number of mistakes in his articles.  That being said, there is no editing going on these days, so reporters are pretty much on their own and under time constraints.  I know that at least one poster here was reviewing some of his articles for him back in the early days to try to avert some of the grevious errors, but the issues still pop up now and then.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #54: January 10, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
He makes a fair number of mistakes in his articles.  That being said, there is no editing going on these days, so reporters are pretty much on their own and under time constraints.  I know that at least one poster here was reviewing some of his articles for him back in the early days to try to avert some of the grevious errors, but the issues still pop up now and then.

That's interesting. I just tried googling for an old article with Adam Zimmerman and came up with this one on about.com credited to some guy named Scott Kendrick, and this is from the 2009 season preview (and included Adam Zimmerman at 3B):

http://baseball.about.com/od/washingtonnationals/a/09nationals.htm

A couple of things about sports sites. One is that there are often dynamically generated lists and stats that are probably incorporated into articles by site editors, and their for not actually written by writer. Also, while Ladson does make a fair share of typos, the mlb.com editors are awful. It is the editor, as is the case with most newspapers and similar outlets, who creates the headlines for articles, and those headlines are often the source of many of the more glaring errors.

Offline NatsNut

• pink caps suck
« Reply #55: January 10, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
Interesting Adam Zimmerman shows up again.  This wasn't just a headline, it was in the body of the piece and it had Bill's byline, back in September 07.  But I'm not here to beat THAT dead horse.  Plenty other fun stuff to talk about.