Author Topic: General Offense Discussion  (Read 25905 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: General Offense Discussion
« Reply #75: April 20, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »
I don't see Jackson being traded.

If we're still 7 games over .500 at the trade deadline, I do not see Jackson being traded. They'll hold onto him in the hope that he can start a couple playoff games behind JZ and Gio, and ahead of (I'd guess) Detwiler.

Offline blue911

« Reply #76: April 20, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »
If we're still 7 games over .500 at the trade deadline, I do not see Jackson being traded. They'll hold onto him in the hope that he can start a couple playoff games behind JZ and Gio, and ahead of (I'd guess) Detwiler.

He is the perfect player to offer arbitration to under the new CBA. Plus he's a Boras guy.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #77: April 21, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
Lorb

This is just a prediction: I think we'll see Tyler Moore in the big leagues before Bryce Harper. I predict Moore will be starting in left field for the #Nats by mid-May. #MLB

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #78: April 21, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »
If only this.club moved that fast ....

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #79: April 21, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/04/20/pitching-rules/index.html?sct=mlb_t12_a0

Verducci talks about the lack of offense in the national league and the lack of good hitting left fielders across both leagues (left fielders are collectively slugging .380!).

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #80: April 21, 2012, 02:08:58 PM »
The pendulum definitely has been swinging back towards pitching the last few years.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #81: April 21, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
I wouldn't trade jackson unless we were getting a reliable Pitcher in return or had one (not Lannan) in waiting to take his spot.

Our pitching staff has the potential to be something really special, I wouldn't break that up.

find offense some other way.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #82: April 21, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »

WNFF seems to break all his so called "news" and think of all his ideas before he does

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #83: April 21, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
Is it sad that in two innings for the Yankees they scored more runs (14) then the Nationals have in their past 5 games?

The offense is very weak right now I will say that but at least its not weak pitching + weak batting. Its Godly pitching. At least we got decent defense.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #84: April 21, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
Is it sad?  No.  Nats are 4-1 in that stretch.  The offense has to get better, of course, but all that matters in the end are W's and L's.  And they've got as many W's as anyone else in baseball.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #85: April 21, 2012, 09:38:10 PM »
What is sad is the Nats could not come up with a better trade offer for Marlon Byrd than a DFA'd, out of options guy who has had no success in the majors and a PTBNL.  What that says to me is that Rizzo is not interested in an offensive upgrade at this point in the season.  I don't think it is hard to imagine the Nats being able to beat that offer, and a righty CF / LF bat to match with Bernie and Ankiel would seem like a need.   

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #86: April 21, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »
Is it sad?  No.  Nats are 4-1 in that stretch.  The offense has to get better, of course, but all that matters in the end are W's and L's.  And they've got as many W's as anyone else in baseball.
I am not disputing that one bit. I am for one glad that they are winning. Boring games or not...its very fun (at least for me) to watch defensive pitching get wins. Pitching is the biggest thing in baseball and if you don't got quality pitchers you aren't going to beat anyone. Its just nice to see the Nats finally got some guys that are good enough to carry the team when the bats are weak so far.

The OBS isn't bad its just stranding them on second and first that is frustrating. I would like to see the Nats just find some sort of groove offensively and take off.

But hey...what we got right now is working. I just am saying I wouldn't be against maybe switching up the line up. Throw Lombardozzi in somewhere and see what he does.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #87: April 21, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
I am not disputing that one bit. I am for one glad that they are winning. Boring games or not...its very fun (at least for me) to watch defensive pitching get wins. Pitching is the biggest thing in baseball and if you don't got quality pitchers you aren't going to beat anyone. Its just nice to see the Nats finally got some guys that are good enough to carry the team when the bats are weak so far.

The OBS isn't bad its just stranding them on second and first that is frustrating. I would like to see the Nats just find some sort of groove offensively and take off.

But hey...what we got right now is working. I just am saying I wouldn't be against maybe switching up the line up. Throw Lombardozzi in somewhere and see what he does.

Wouldn't be against that at all.  Still think they'll have to make some adjustments eventually if they want to win at the levels they claim they want.  You'd think Morse will help, but I'm not sure that will be enough.  If they do find an offense, look out...

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #88: April 21, 2012, 10:36:32 PM »
Wouldn't be against that at all.  Still think they'll have to make some adjustments eventually if they want to win at the levels they claim they want.  You'd think Morse will help, but I'm not sure that will be enough.  If they do find an offense, look out...

First, I think Morse will return too late, but, second, I think the pitching and defense are almost good enough that he won't be missed until he hits a few home-runs, in August, and we say, "Oh, hey now, that's what it's like to have a power hitter".

Just keep winning...

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

« Reply #89: April 21, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
Hopefully by the time Morse comes back the Nats still have a winning record. I think that if he comes back and provides a spark, it could help the rest of the team going. However, its hard to say if he can produce the #s from last year to this year. One can only hope though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #90: April 21, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »
First, I think Morse will return too late, but, second, I think the pitching and defense are almost good enough that he won't be missed until he hits a few home-runs, in August, and we say, "Oh, hey now, that's what it's like to have a power hitter".

Just keep winning...

Too late?  he'll be out til sometime in June probably.  I fully expect us to be right in the middle of things then, assuming we are, it won't be too late.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #91: April 22, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »
What is sad is the Nats could not come up with a better trade offer for Marlon Byrd than a DFA'd, out of options guy who has had no success in the majors and a PTBNL.  What that says to me is that Rizzo is not interested in an offensive upgrade at this point in the season.  I don't think it is hard to imagine the Nats being able to beat that offer, and a righty CF / LF bat to match with Bernie and Ankiel would seem like a need.   

JCA - this shouldn't shock you. See the Michael Bourn trade for reference.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #92: April 22, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »
Chief - are you one of those "Glass Is Half Empty" types of people ?

I used to tell my boss, "It's not important whether the glass is half full or half empty.   It's what's in the glass?"

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #93: April 22, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »

H/AB   R  HR  RBI BB  SB   AVG   OBP   
Marlon Byrd, Bos OF 3/43   1   0   2     3   0   .070   .149

Byrd is 34, right handed, and doesn't look like an upgrade.  He looks like he's on the typical downward slope of that age range.  Maybe The Matt Stairs Experience taught Rizzo something.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #94: April 22, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
Too late?  he'll be out til sometime in June probably.  I fully expect us to be right in the middle of things then, assuming we are, it won't be too late.

My guess is August, based on partially torn anything and the Nats history with injuries. I also think the Nats will be in or near first place, because nobody hits these pitchers. By "too late", I mean "too late" if anybody is waiting for Morse to save the day.

And I hope to see Lombo in LF, hitting about .280, singles and doubles. That's good enough. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #95: April 22, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
Byrd has not been quite right since being beaned by Aceves last June.  Had a .230 AVG after that.  He also dropped 40 lbs this off-season, for what he says is health reasons, but might be because . . . well, his personal trainer was tied to BALCO.  Maybe Rizzo has a right to be skeptical.

Bourn would have been the White Whale, while a Byrd move would have been short term patching.  It is different, I think.  Maybe Rizzo has a reason to be skeptical, but Byrd has had a very good track record up to this point.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #96: April 22, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
Byrd has not been quite right since being beaned by Aceves last June.  Had a .230 AVG after that.  He also dropped 40 lbs this off-season, for what he says is health reasons, but might be because . . . well, his personal trainer was tied to BALCO.  Maybe Rizzo has a right to be skeptical.

Bourn would have been the White Whale, while a Byrd move would have been short term patching.  It is different, I think.  Maybe Rizzo has a reason to be skeptical, but Byrd has had a very good track record up to this point.

The Cubs paid the Red Sox to take Byrd, so it's probably not only Rizzo that is skeptical.

I also believe that the rumor (not sure if ever confirmed?) was that Rizzo balked at trading Detwiler for Bourn.  Who knows how that will look a year from now, but right now, Detwiler is pitching pretty well.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #97: April 22, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »
I also believe that the rumor (not sure if ever confirmed?) was that Rizzo balked at trading Detwiler for Bourn.  Who knows how that will look a year from now, but right now, Detwiler is pitching pretty well.

I thought that was a dumb lack-of-move, but a lot of statheads thought Bourn was riding an absurdly high BABIP last year, and Detwiler's been making us look good so far. Bourn's as good as ever, too, though.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #98: April 22, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »
I was just driving and on ESPN radio they talked about for the Nats for a couple mins. They had Borbson Lollerskittles on as a guest and they brought up with him how Zimmerman hasn't been hitting and asked who has been carrying the Nats. I automatically thought of Adam LaRoche or Jayson Werth. His answer was immediately Ian Desmond. I almost crashed my car.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #99: April 22, 2012, 08:00:39 PM »
Did he say anything about Desmond shutting up his haterz?