Author Topic: General Offense Discussion  (Read 25445 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: General Offense Discussion
« Reply #250: April 30, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
I can't see the Sox trading Dustin. Didn't Ellsbury just sign an extension too? 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #251: April 30, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »
if the nats called up bryce even though some thought it was a bad move and called up tyler moore the next day it shows that they want to compete and think that they can.  if you factor in the two cross-country flights in two nights then they are going to try damn hard to make it happen.  I honestly think we will be very active at the deadline.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #252: April 30, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
Pedroia is under a team-friendly contract, with team control until 2015, and arguably one of the 3 best 2d basemen in the game.  The Red Sox are also 3.5 games out after a 6 - 1 road trip.   The chance of Pedroia is negligible.

However, if you are going to speculate about an MI on the Red Sox who they might move, think about Mike Aviles.  If Jose Iglesias can hit a bit in the first half of the year in AAA and Ellsbury comes back as an effective leadoff hitter, Aviles would possibly be available.  So far, Iglesias is awful offensively, so this is not likely to happen. 

On another offense topic, Danny has minor league options.  You wonder if sending him down when RZ comes back might be on the table.  Suppose Lombo is hot at that time.  Why not?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #253: April 30, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Pedroia is under a team-friendly contract, with team control until 2015, and arguably one of the 3 best 2d basemen in the game.  The Red Sox are also 3.5 games out after a 6 - 1 road trip.   The chance of Pedroia is negligible.

However, if you are going to speculate about an MI on the Red Sox who they might move, think about Mike Aviles.  If Jose Iglesias can hit a bit in the first half of the year in AAA and Ellsbury comes back as an effective leadoff hitter, Aviles would possibly be available.  So far, Iglesias is awful offensively, so this is not likely to happen. 

On another offense topic, Danny has minor league options.  You wonder if sending him down when RZ comes back might be on the table.  Suppose Lombo is hot at that time.  Why not?

lombo getting hot is a big if

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #254: April 30, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »

Aviles is not worth trading for. He's 30 and can only hit well when he's in Boston's hitter friendly lineup.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #255: May 01, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »
from mlbtr
"We're not making a push to look outside for offense or bullpen," said Rizzo according to ESPN's Jayson Stark (Twitter links). "We like the club we have. We just need to get healthy."

:hang:  nattitude.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #256: May 01, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »
from mlbtr

Honestly, outside of the leadoff spot, when Zim and Morse return, I don't disagree.  If we had a leadoff hitter, when those two get back, it would be a pretty solid offense, probably not a league best, but better than average and with this pitching staff, that should be enough to win the division, perhaps going away.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #257: May 01, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »
Honestly, outside of the leadoff spot, when Zim and Morse return, I don't disagree.  If we had a leadoff hitter, when those two get back, it would be a pretty solid offense, probably not a league best, but better than average and with this pitching staff, that should be enough to win the division, perhaps going away.

i actually agree but we NEED a middle infielder who can hit

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #258: May 01, 2012, 11:46:45 PM »

Yep, and I think we have one in Lombo, but he needs a more time to get acclimated to this level.  I think we know what we have with Desmond, and given what Rizzo's done with every other guy (with a couple of notable [elite] exceptions) that got here before he took over, it's a mystery to me why he's still here.  I do still really like Espinosa, but something's not working for him right now and having both of them in the lineup just isn't good.  One could probably make work reasonably well in that bottom third of the lineup, but not both. That lead off guy doesn't have to come from the middle infield, could be a CF, which I think is where Capt. Ahab goes fishing next year.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #259: May 01, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »
We're injury depleted. Our bullpen is down its closer and the guy who would have been our best middle inning guy other than Clippard. Our offense is down it's #3 and #4 hitters. Our window of success is long reaching, so this isn't the time to hit the "PANIC" button and start trading away prospects. Many of our top prospects have graduated/been traded. We still have lots of depth, but it doesn't have enough right now to be used in short term trades.

Now, come trade deadline there are always teams willing to move guys for salary relief. If we're still in the range of .500 or above at the trade deadline, I want us to be the team adding a couple pieces instead of the one moving them. Previous years I would have said trade LaRoche and others for prospects, but this is the time we need to be in the "add" not "subtract" mindset. Let's pick up some role players for low A prospects.

Offline GOON

« Reply #260: May 02, 2012, 07:11:03 AM »
To be honest, the offense was awful WITH Zimmerman in the lineup.  Is Morse going to make THAT big of a difference, especially coming off of his injury?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #261: May 02, 2012, 07:22:48 AM »

Like who?

To be honest, the offense was awful WITH Zimmerman in the lineup.  Is Morse going to make THAT big of a difference, especially coming off of his injury?

Zimm was hurt, or at least, that's what the Nationals were reporting as the reason behind is terrible hitting.

And yes, Zimmerman and Morse, in the lineup, healthy, will make a big difference

Offline Slateman

« Reply #262: May 02, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
When do we get Zim back?

I was just thinking that Lombo should hit leadoff and Desmond/Espinosa could hit second. With Zimm and Laroche behind them, they'd get pitches to hit.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #263: May 02, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
CapitolNatsJoe The #Nats have 14 batters with 0.0 WAR or worse. That's the worst in the National League.

I just don't see how you can justify keeping Eckstein as hitting coach any longer.  Maybe it's not his fault, but this is a team that hasn't hit for 2 years now. 

Offline imref

« Reply #264: May 02, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »
When do we get Zim back?

I was just thinking that Lombo should hit leadoff and Desmond/Espinosa could hit second. With Zimm and Laroche behind them, they'd get pitches to hit.

Lombo should be leading off, maybe:

Lombo
Desmond
Zimm
LaRoche
Werth
Harper
Ramos
Ankiel/Bernie/Nady/Moore

Offline imref

« Reply #265: May 02, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
i feel better about our offense after looking at Miami.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #266: May 02, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »
i feel better about our offense after looking at Miami.

How so?  We're tied with them for second-to-last in baseball.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #267: May 02, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
How so?  We're tied with them for second-to-last in baseball.

They're two best hitters aren't on the DL??

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #268: May 02, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »
arrrggghhhh!  I must weigh in on batting orders....

Lombo
Werth
Roche
Zimm
Ramos / Flores
harper
Desmond
CF/LF not named Harper

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #269: May 02, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
I'd bat Harper 2nd.  I'd also put Moore in LF because everyone else has already been given a shot and pretty much failed.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #270: May 02, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »
Their two best hitters aren't on the DL??

Okay.  I guess if you think that Reyes and Stanton are going to continue underperforming severely all year long that might be of some comfort.  Even so I still don't see why looking at a 9-14 team that's neck-and-neck with us offensively would make anyone feel better, but to each their own I suppose.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #271: May 02, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
They're two best hitters aren't on the DL??

Not yet but BGS and LoMo will be on the DL15 at some point this season.  Stanton only has two HRs so far this season due to injuries.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #272: May 02, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
Okay.  I guess if you think that Reyes and Stanton are going to continue underperforming severely all year long that might be of some comfort.

Stanton looks to be getting over whatever was ailing him in April.  Thank god because I'd have a breakdown if we wound up not fulfilling his potential like Travis Hafner.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #273: May 02, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
Two SSS spins on our offense:
1) With the exception of Espi, the worst guys have been utility guys/ guys who won't even be on the team when everyone is healthy.  Xavier Nady has somehow amassed a -.8 WAR already, and while that really sucks, it isn't really that worrisome for the future, since nobody said "The Nats are gonna be great this year b/c of Nady in left"

2) We have hit very few HRs this year, even taking into account Morse, Zim missing time. This still seems to me to be more fluke than long term concern.  We get lucky and hit 8+HR the rest of this homestand and very quickly a bunch of those slugging numbers really come up. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #274: May 02, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »
Two SSS spins on our offense:
1) With the exception of Espi, the worst guys have been utility guys/ guys who won't even be on the team when everyone is healthy.  Xavier Nady has somehow amassed a -.8 WAR already, and while that really sucks, it isn't really that worrisome for the future, since nobody said "The Nats are gonna be great this year b/c of Nady in left"

2) We have hit very few HRs this year, even taking into account Morse, Zim missing time. This still seems to me to be more fluke than long term concern.  We get lucky and hit 8+HR the rest of this homestand and very quickly a bunch of those slugging numbers really come up. 

yes missing zimmerman/morse is a huge dagger and injuries happen in baseball.  still guys like espinosa - who we are depending on - have done way more bad than good.