Author Topic: Bad Nationals Nostalgia / "Lean Years" Memories thread (merged)  (Read 27377 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Post Your "Lean Years" Nats Memories Thread
« Reply #300: September 21, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »
Tomo Ohka turning his back on Frank Robinson and getting traded as a result.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #301: September 21, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
Wasn't there an incident in 2005 or 2006 where two players on the Nationals had an argument over whether Jews go to hell, and they asked the team chaplain, who told them that they did, and got fired as a result?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #302: September 21, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »
Wasn't there an incident in 2005 or 2006 where two players on the Nationals had an argument over whether Jews go to hell, and they asked the team chaplain, who told them that they did, and got fired as a result?

Apparently it was Ryan Church (how funny is that) who asked the chaplain about whether his ex-girlfriend would go to hell:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050921&content_id=1218222&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #303: September 21, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »
The awful carousel of horrendous "prospect" pitchers. J.D. Martin, Luis Atilano, Garrett Mock, Shairon Martis, Matt Chico, and likely a couple others I can't recall.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #304: September 21, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
Elijah Dukes' "softball girls" glee club (wasn't that at Shea?)

Oh, and THAT.  The bottom of the 9th game tying slam by The Antichrist off of Chief in San Diego

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #305: September 21, 2012, 04:20:02 PM »
In 2010 we went into the season pretty pumped to have a starting rotation of Lannan-Marquis-Livo-Stammen-Mock. Just a reminder of how awful 2009 was that that rotation was a huge step forward.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #306: September 21, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
I remember when DC balked at the ballpark and the team shut down the team store and started packing their crap a month after they established a presence in the city.

attending the rallies that ensued to try and convince the City Council to build the stadium.

attending the City Council town forum, on the ballpark situation. being able to talk to Adrian Fenty about it in person. i hated the fact that Fenty was always at the park on opening day saying "Play ball", even though he was so ridiculously against baseball being here in the first place. he didn't deserve to set foot in the stadium.

I still hate David Catania. he better not so much as look at a Curly W hat, ever. he doesn't deserve to have anything at all to do with this team. don't even say the word Nationals, jackass.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #307: September 21, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
buying "hot cocoa" at RFK in early April.  I was presented with a large cup of hot water and a packet of Swiss Miss that I mixed myself.  It was still the best hot cocoa I ever had.  Damn that was a cold night...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #308: September 21, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
Like imref said, this could probably go into 'Bad Nationals Nostalgia' but:

I remember in '07, after a game at RFK in April or May, when I was talking to my brother and my dad about our pitching rotation. I was trying to guess who the next starter would be but it was so hard because of how many pitchers we had started in the rotation. It consisted of Hill, Patterson, Simontacchi, Chico (i think), Bergmann, That O'Connor guy (maybe), and like 4 other dudes. It was crazy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #309: September 21, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
Robert Fick. the most broken swing in baseball. Shudder.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #310: September 21, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
The good, the bad, and the in-between:

- going to my first New Nats game, Father's Day, 2006, wearing the 1960 Senators Jersey, number 3, signed by Harmon Killebrew. Absorbing the joy of Ryan Z's walkoff.

- taking my daughter to RFK where I could point out the remaining Hondo seats in the upper deck. Watching John Patterson hit 89 mph on the speed gun, and wondering how this guy could be the next ace. (He went on the DL right after). Watching Soriano fold his arms in LF as Patterson threw. Feeling the crack as Alex Escobar hit a line-drive, then watching him run, and thinking, OK, here's a CF. Nats take a big lead into the 8th or 9th, but Mike Piazza hits a home run off the facing below the upper deck and the Nats lose.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #311: September 21, 2012, 06:40:53 PM »
I remember when DC balked at the ballpark and the team shut down the team store and started packing their crap a month after they established a presence in the city.

attending the rallies that ensued to try and convince the City Council to build the stadium.

attending the City Council town forum, on the ballpark situation. being able to talk to Adrian Fenty about it in person. i hated the fact that Fenty was always at the park on opening day saying "Play ball", even though he was so ridiculously against baseball being here in the first place. he didn't deserve to set foot in the stadium.

I still hate David Catania. he better not so much as look at a Curly W hat, ever. he doesn't deserve to have anything at all to do with this team. don't even say the word Nationals, jackass.

That was in December it was a nice Christmas present from MLB, Bob DuPuy and the DC Council. Thank goodness that they ultimately didn't screw it up.

Offline KingHarper

« Reply #312: September 21, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
first time i think i saw a nats game was in 2010 when every single player was getting out on offense. then elijah dukes hits a double and i was like "damn this guys a stud" lol

only player i really knew were dunn and zimm. i was watching some redskins news regarding the draft and what not and it cut to a highlight of dunn hitting a bomb and i was like who gives about baseball. haha now I love the sport. funny stuff, zim got a contract extension worth a solid amount of money so i assummed he was good. then he went on a 30 hit streak or something to that nature. 2011 was the year i really started watching baseball for real and became a true baseball fan. i remember they started off alright and then the inevitable slide started. then around midseason, i remember that epic 9-2 run that brought us to .500. remember celebrating 500 like it was amazing when we got the best record in the NL now

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #313: September 21, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
OLD NATS- Pleading with Dad to take me when he took my brother to a Senators game.  He took the both of us.  He answered my questions and taught me to keep score.  THE whole crowd singing the Natio al Anthem.  The whole crowd stomping and screaming WE WANT A HIT until RFK Vibrated.  Autograph day and getting Denny McLains auto because Hondo line was sooooo long!  Listening to my radio shack transister radio under my pillow when I was supposed to be asleep!  Writing Ted Williams telling him Frank Howard deserves to be a first basemen and not an easy position like outfield!  Next game he was at first base!  HONDO HOMERUNS!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #314: September 21, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
Who was the catcher Frank Robinson had to pull from a game because everyone and their grandmother was stealing on him?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #315: September 21, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »
Matt LeCroy? He's managing the Hagerstown Suns now.
Who was the catcher Frank Robinson had to pull from a game because everyone and their grandmother was stealing on him?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #316: September 21, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
Matt LeCroy? He's managing the Hagerstown Suns now.

I wonder if it is the players or the owners that he makes cry now.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #317: September 21, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »

I wonder if it is the players or the owners that he makes cry now.

Neither! I think he managed Carolina League CHAMPS!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #318: September 21, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
Look here for pictures of the last game in 1971. THAT was a bad time.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?100612-Photos-of-the-Senators-Last-Game

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #319: September 21, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »
Great thread guys.  :clap:  It's nice to look back on those years and think of the fun we have had here going back and forth over this team. We're not there yet but we have talked about how sweet it will be to see the Nats swarm the mound in ultimate victory after the years we've endured watching what at times was a circus. I may end up crying when that happens and I hope I'm at Nationals Park when it does. About ten years ago I made a bet with a yankee fan who insisted that the curse of the bambino is real and that the Red Sox would never win the world series. It wasn't much of a bet since I had nothing to lose but he promised me world series tickets to any world series of my choice if boston ever won a world series. After the sawks won their first pennant I decided to hold off on collecting. I'm hoping this is the season I collect.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #320: September 21, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
Great thread guys.  :clap:  It's nice to look back on those years and think of the fun we have had here going back and forth over this team. We're not there yet but we have talked about how sweet it will be to see the Nats swarm the mound in ultimate victory after the years we've endured watching what at times was a circus. I may end up crying when that happens and I hope I'm at Nationals Park when it does. About ten years ago I made a bet with a yankee fan who insisted that the curse of the bambino is real and that the Red Sox would never win the world series. It wasn't much of a bet since I had nothing to lose but he promised me world series tickets to any world series of my choice if boston ever won a world series. After the sawks won their first pennant I decided to hold off on collecting. I'm hoping this is the season I collect.

That is a great story. I hope you collect this year too!

:thumbs:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #321: September 21, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
+1,000
That is a great story. I hope you collect this year too!

:thumbs:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #322: September 22, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
Seeing Austin Kearns and Nick Johnson mid May, 2008, at the 1st floor bar of CCSP, looking incredibly downcast.  I think it was shortly after Johnson was knocked out for the year and Kearns went on the DL.  Just the two of them, at the end of the bar, quiet, no one bugging them.

When I went in Thursday night / Friday AM after the win over the Dodgers, I heard they kept the 3d floor open for a player or two to celebrate.

Offline Count Walewski

As a CC resident, I'm both surprised and proud to learn that Nats players party here after games. They don't take the Yellow Line in, do they?

Offline CALSGR8

Hey Spider!  Red Sod won in 2004 and 2007.  Does that mean you can collect twice?  ;)