Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 104597 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #900: November 19, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
And make you pay all their bills.

One does not own cats...cats own you...

Offline wj73

« Reply #901: November 19, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
I don't know if we do. I kind of like the idea that we feed her but are not responsible for taking her to the vet (and the expense thereof) and such. On the other hand, you'd have to see her out there on our deck to understand what I mean about how sad she always looks. She's eating more than ever since the lady across the street moved away, so I suspect she's lost a source of food.

Good for you for taking an interest in her, but the problem with just feeding but not providing vet care is that if she's not spayed, you're feeding her just enough to keep her in breeding condition, so that creates more baby kittens and the problem multiplies.  Secondly, without vaccines, you're leaving her vulnerable to diseases like feline leukemia and feline AIDs which endangers other cats, and without a rabies shot she becomes a potential rabies vector.  Plus, I can imagine that she's often hungry, cold, full of worms, ticks, fleas and other nasties like that. 

If you're going to maintain her as some sort of feral outdoor cat, you may want to at least humanely trap her and get her to a vet for spaying and vaccinations.  Also, if you haven't done so already, provide her some kind of shelter, like a small dog house, where she can get in away from the elements. 

Here's a link with info from the Humane Society of the US with tips on maintaining an outdoor cat:http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/feral_cats/tips/caring_feral_cats_winter.html

I worked at the animal shelter for years, and saw a lot of these cats.  It's sad. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #902: November 19, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
As soon as she shows up with an infected ear or eye, you'll be paying the vet bills. Don't kid yourself. You already have a cat.

Considering that we would have to capture her to do that, I do not agree with that assessment.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #903: November 19, 2015, 03:08:17 PM »
Yeah, we had an alley cat who came by for the better part of a decade...he never allowed us to approach him, but he would sneak up behind and brush our legs before darting off.  He left the missus presents under the car...rat bits (tails, feet, noses, etc). He was the King of the Alley.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #904: November 19, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »
Yeah, we had an alley cat who came by for the better part of a decade...he never allowed us to approach him, but he would sneak up behind and brush our legs before darting off.  He left the missus presents under the car...rat bits (tails, feet, noses, etc). He was the King of the Alley.

This cat won't get that close to us.

Regarding the other comment, which I didn't see before my prior post, her ear is clipped, which I understand means she's been fixed. We tried giving her a shelter last winter but she wouldn't use it.

• babble on
« Reply #905: November 19, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
yep.
her ear is clipped, which I understand means she's been fixed. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #906: November 19, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »

Regarding the other comment, which I didn't see before my prior post, her ear is clipped, which I understand means she's been fixed. We tried giving her a shelter last winter but she wouldn't use it.

The clipped ear is excellent news so she won't be having kittens - that should help her conserve her energy for herself.  Sounds like you're way ahead of me on attempting to provide shelter.  You may want to try again this year - if she was sheltering with the other neighbor who moved, she may need some help this winter. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #907: November 20, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
Saturday night just before bed, I thought I heard something and I was going to lock the gate anyway. I opened the door and a cat tried to run in but I blocked it. My wife knows more about cats so she looked at it. It was clean and cared for so we let it in. No tags or anything. Then we put it back outside for some reason, maybe it wanted to go back out. It stayed in our porch. I opened the door and it came back in. Gave it some water and put it in our bathroom for the night. It made some noise and at dawn I let it back out again. I figured if it needed a home it would come back to us. It was cool while it lasted. Searched for mice. Did a standing vertical jump onto our counter. Thought that was impressive. Unlike most dogs cats wouldn't be Darwinned off the planet in a week if humans went extinct. So that kind of answers the question of why you would want a cat. The cat doesn't need you to be it's friend. So it's an honor when it likes you. Dogs need you to be its friend. They don't really like you. They are just gold digging

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #908: November 20, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »
Saturday night just before bed, I thought I heard something and I was going to lock the gate anyway. I opened the door and a cat tried to run in but I blocked it. My wife knows more about cats so she looked at it. It was clean and cared for so we let it in. No tags or anything. Then we put it back outside for some reason, maybe it wanted to go back out. It stayed in our porch. I opened the door and it came back in. Gave it some water and put it in our bathroom for the night. It made some noise and at dawn I let it back out again. I figured if it needed a home it would come back to us. It was cool while it lasted. Searched for mice. Did a standing vertical jump onto our counter. Thought that was impressive. Unlike most dogs cats wouldn't be Darwinned off the planet in a week if humans went extinct. So that kind of answers the question of why you would want a cat. The cat doesn't need you to be it's friend. So it's an honor when it likes you. Dogs need you to be its friend. They don't really like you. They are just gold digging

Ah, cat lover mythology.    :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #909: November 20, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »
Ah, cat lover mythology.    :)

It's how they make themselves feel better about their cats not liking them :crackup:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #910: November 20, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
You liked it when the pretty girls at school ignored you, didn't you? ;)

Dogs need people because people needed dogs. There is no more of a win/win inter-species relationship in the history of the world.

Cats are entertaining sometimes. Dogs are concerned about you. Dogs love you.

• babble on
« Reply #911: November 20, 2015, 03:48:43 PM »
All this is good and well, but it's probably no coincidence that my house--the only one on the block with cats--is the only one on the block with no mice.  My neighbour entertains a lot, and he's had mice grab the seasonal candy from the crystal bowl next to the settee and run off with it as a room full of people shrieks and climbs up on furniture. He needs to take antihistamines and get a cat.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #912: November 20, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »

We are an equal opporunity household...we own and love all sorts of animals...

That said...my wife's Chihuahua hates me...

the feeling is pretty much mutual

Offline mitlen

« Reply #913: November 20, 2015, 04:12:50 PM »
We are an equal opporunity household...we own and love all sorts of animals...

That said...my wife's Chihuahua hates me...

the feeling is pretty much mutual

Chihuahuas hate everybody  ...  small dog syndrome.

• babble on
« Reply #914: November 20, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »
Pomeranians are the worst...vicious little yappy freakers

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #915: November 20, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
You guys are talking about designer dogs and tiny meal-for-a-family cattle.

I talking about dogs.

(BTW, we have a cat too, and she is a hoot, but she is a terrible mouser. She just wants to kill birds, which is verboten here.)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #916: November 20, 2015, 06:58:12 PM »
Chihuahuas hate everybody  ...  small dog syndrome.
Ours is almost 17.  About a year ago she stopped barking at people and dogs. I guess she finally passed her hating stage and is now in the I don't care stage. Except for food. Still cares for that.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #917: January 22, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
Watcha got goin' in the feeders, etc.?    Most of the critters have gone to ground  ...  disappeared since the snow started.    However, these finches (black and gray) are at the feeder.    Noticed in the past that they stay out, even in several inches of snow.    Everything I find on the interwebz indicates to me that they're dark-eyed juncos.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #918: January 22, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »
We had bluebirds coming to the (heated) birdbath around 3 PM. We've never seen them before.
Watcha got goin' in the feeders, etc.?    Most of the critters have gone to ground  ...  disappeared since the snow started.    However, these finches (black and gray) are at the feeder.    Noticed in the past that they stay out, even in several inches of snow.    Everything I find on the interwebz indicates to me that they're dark-eyed juncos.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #919: January 22, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
We had bluebirds coming to the (heated) birdbath around 3 PM. We've never seen them before.

Heated birdbath has been on my list for 3 or 4 years.    Still don't have one.    I'll sweep the deck tomorrow and mount my 4 X 4 plywood feeder to the rail.    Guess it'll be fresh water for the critters   ...   replacing the ice every few hours.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #920: January 22, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
They're not very expensive, and they do draw in some interesting specimens in the deep cold.
Heated birdbath has been on my list for 3 or 4 years.    Still don't have one.    I'll sweep the deck tomorrow and mount my 4 X 4 plywood feeder to the rail.    Guess it'll be fresh water for the critters   ...   replacing the ice every few hours.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #921: January 22, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »

Some pictures Mrs. VaRK took of the backyard critters today...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #922: January 22, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
Some pictures Mrs. VaRK took of the backyard critters today...

Picture #2  ....   That's the bird in my backyard when all the others went to hide.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #923: January 22, 2016, 06:21:35 PM »
Well done, Vark. I used to get pictures like that. Until we got a cat.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #924: January 22, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »

My wife mentioned one type of bird in the back yard was Juncos...that may have been this one.  She knows her birds...I know they fly (except turkeys).