Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 189991 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #200: May 04, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
His teammates have always universally said the same thing about him all along - that he's a GREAT teammate.

He's just ostentatious in EVERYTHING he does, from the hair, the tattoos, the ridiculous power bat, the ridiculous power throws, the ridiculous hustle. Everything about him screams "look at me!"

You cannot take your eyes off of him.

I'm sure the Old Guard who don't know him would consider that a Rookie "not knowing his place" - but all he's done is rally his teammates and infuse them with energy.

Works for me. Don't change a thing Bryce.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #201: May 04, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »
His teammates have always universally said the same thing about him all along - that he's a GREAT teammate.

He's just ostentatious in EVERYTHING he does, from the hair, the tattoos, the ridiculous power bat, the ridiculous power throws, the ridiculous hustle. Everything about him screams "look at me!"

I'm sure the Old Guard who don't know him would consider that a Rookie "not knowing his place" - but all he's done is rally his teammates and infuse them with energy.

Beautiful. Spot on.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #202: May 04, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
I really, really, really didn't want to like him and expected him to be a total tool bag in need of a serious assthrashing.  Instead we have a kid that is balls out and seems, from what we've seen of him so far in the Show, to be very, very grounded and levelhead.  It's a really exciting time in baseball with he, Matt Kemp, Strasburg, Verlander, and a slew of others (Cozart, Stanton, Ethier) making this is a seriously amazing season.

solid post, i'm just surprised you didn't include stanton/morrison/Oviedo with those names.

EDIT: hahahahaha you did mention stanton :lmao:

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #203: May 04, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »

If someone criticizes him for having a strong arm and bat...or running infield popups out then they have a problem.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #204: May 04, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »
After the WaPost magazine article about him came out last year, my impresion of him was nothing but positive. I assume that anyone that continues the cocky/prick assessment never read the article and is running with misinformation.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #205: May 04, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
If someone criticizes him for having a strong arm and bat...or running infield popups out then they have a problem.

Give it a while and you'll have some piece about how he's showing guys up- there is no way someone does try to get more page hits by bucking the universal acclaim.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #206: May 04, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
solid post, i'm just surprised you didn't include stanton/morrison/Oviedo with those names.

EDIT: hahahahaha you did mention stanton :lmao:

MDS' post before he edited:

"It's a really exciting time in baseball with Stanton, he, Stanton, Matt Kemp, STANTON, Strasburg, STANTONVerlander, and Stanton, Stanton, STANTON,, STANTONEthier) making this is a seriously amazing season."

But, hey, at least he mentioned Kemp.  ;)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #207: May 04, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
LOL

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #208: May 04, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
STANTONburg

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #209: May 04, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
Along the same lines as what others have said, but if the question was is he a d-bag or is he just a 19 year old I think the answer is he's just a 19 year old.  Now that he's in the spotlight and it's not just tweets and secondhand stories, he seems to be grounded and respectful of what it means to be a professional.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #210: May 04, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »

I'm not even kidding - On the way home from work, I totally thought that you should chime in with a "Harperinator" wherein it makes everyone on the roster Bryce Harper.  I'm so glad you beat me to the punch.  :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #211: May 04, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »
I'm not even kidding - On the way home from work, I totally thought that you should chime in with a "Harperinator" wherein it makes everyone on the roster Bryce Harper.  I'm so glad you beat me to the punch.  :lol:

Yeah but where's Perry?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #212: May 04, 2012, 11:02:51 PM »
Yeah but where's Perry?

Oh, there you are, Perry.

@Minty: That's awesome! I'm kinda enjoying this avatar. Great minds think alike.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #213: May 04, 2012, 11:04:50 PM »
The Phillies pitched around a teenager tonight

OMG

LOL

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #214: May 04, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
I really, really, really didn't want to like him and expected him to be a total tool bag in need of a serious assthrashing.  Instead we have a kid that is balls out and seems, from what we've seen of him so far in the Show, to be very, very grounded and levelhead.  It's a really exciting time in baseball with he, Matt Kemp, Strasburg, Verlander, and a slew of others (Cozart, Stanton, Ethier) making this is a seriously amazing season.

Cozart is struggling

But Jason Kipnis and Pedro Alvarez are going balls out, now

Offline Aussie_Nat

« Reply #215: May 05, 2012, 07:05:44 AM »
Woah!

We have two fans from Australia now!

Welcome!

Thanks. My in-laws live in Gaithersburg, and we just came back from a holiday there last week. We were there for 5 weeks, and during that time l got to see a lot of games on TV. Unfortunately the day we were supposed to see a live game (4/22) it was rained out :(. Very annoyed, but at least we can watch a few games from here, and follow it on the ESPN website. I also bought a hat and jersey, and am now wearing them proudly, and enjoy telling everyone here who asked what l am wearing that they are the best baseball team around :)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #216: May 05, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »
The Phillies pitched around a teenager tonight

OMG

LOL

Yep, with Zimmerman, Morse, and LaRoche out of the lineup Harper is going to have to be patient waiting for something to hit.  Three walks from a 19 year old with less than a week of service time sure isn't a bad outing.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #217: May 05, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
Yep, with Zimmerman, Morse, and LaRoche out of the lineup Harper is going to have to be patient waiting for something to hit.  Three walks from a 19 year old with less than a week of service time sure isn't a bad outing.

He really should have had 4 walks, was a little anxious his first at bat in extra innings. I thought his plate discipline was excellent last night

Offline MainEv3nt

« Reply #218: May 05, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
Hopefully it happens tomorrow, the way he swings im surprised he hasn't got one yet.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #219: May 05, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
If that scoreboard in right field was a couple feet lower he would have had two I feel like already.

Offline madj55

« Reply #220: May 05, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
A walk-off bomb on ESPN would make too much sense for his first career long ball

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #221: May 05, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
I'd rather not be in the position of needing a walk off blast, but he can go ahead and hit a couple of grand slams in the first few innings if he wants :P

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #222: May 05, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
After the WaPost magazine article about him came out last year, my impresion of him was nothing but positive. I assume that anyone that continues the cocky/prick assessment never read the article and is running with misinformation.

This.  There was a link to that article on the Post website just after they announced his call-up.  It's still well worth the read if you can find it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #223: May 05, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Bryan Scrafford ‏ @bscrafford
Bryce Harper signed about a dozen autographs after today's #nats game. He refused to sign for a guy wearing a #phillies uniform

:clap:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #224: May 05, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
:rofl: nice