Author Topic: Mexican League  (Read 1357 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Mexican League
« Topic Start: September 25, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »
Can someone explain what is is exactly and how it works?  I know it is counted as a triple a level minor league but is it affiliated at all and how are players signed out of it.  Care to explain?

Online RD

Re: Mexican League
« Reply #1: September 27, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »
I don't know fine details, but they aren't affiliated with any big league clubs. I believe affiliated players can be loaned to teams in the league though. Affiliated teams have to purchase Mexican League players, like they would an independent league player.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: September 29, 2012, 05:23:35 PM »
Whatever happened to Rafael Martin? Can we send then Yunesky Maya?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: September 29, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #4: October 09, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »
Can someone explain what is is exactly and how it works?  I know it is counted as a triple a level minor league but is it affiliated at all and how are players signed out of it.  Care to explain?

The Mexican League is Mexico's professional baseball league.

It is not affiliated at all with MLB and therefore, is not counted as "AAA" Baseball. I've read that it's level of quality is somewhere near AAA, but I'd guess it is closer to AA and the talent is inconsistent. How many guys go form Mexican League stardom to becoming MLB regulars? Not many.

Teams can loan players to Mexican League teams to get the players more ABs. I believe that the Nats tried to send Ryan CHurch there many winters ago to get him more ABs against breaking balls, but Church declined the invite to Winter Ball.

As for players coming this way, Rafael Martin (for example), had a contract with a Mexican League team. The Nats wanted him and had to make an offer to his MX team to buy his contract rights. MLB and the Mexican teams "honor" each other's contracts - that is, they wouldn't sign a player who is under contract to the other league without its permission.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: October 09, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »
Miguel Gonzalez for the Os more or less proved he was healthy and capable of pitching there before the Os signed him.

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: October 09, 2012, 04:30:09 PM »
MiLB classifies the Mexican League as a AAA level.

Offline Shootmaster_44

« Reply #7: October 09, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
The Mexican League is Mexico's professional baseball league.

It is not affiliated at all with MLB and therefore, is not counted as "AAA" Baseball. I've read that it's level of quality is somewhere near AAA, but I'd guess it is closer to AA and the talent is inconsistent. How many guys go form Mexican League stardom to becoming MLB regulars? Not many.

Teams can loan players to Mexican League teams to get the players more ABs. I believe that the Nats tried to send Ryan CHurch there many winters ago to get him more ABs against breaking balls, but Church declined the invite to Winter Ball.

As for players coming this way, Rafael Martin (for example), had a contract with a Mexican League team. The Nats wanted him and had to make an offer to his MX team to buy his contract rights. MLB and the Mexican teams "honor" each other's contracts - that is, they wouldn't sign a player who is under contract to the other league without its permission.

The Mexican League that is considered AAA is their summer league, not their winter league. I've often wondered why they are considered AAA?