Author Topic: Future of big name Nats (2012)  (Read 15174 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Re: Future of big name Nats
« Reply #325: June 15, 2012, 12:31:21 AM »
We'll be trading them in a couple years. Gotta keep that payroll low

Cause Ted is a cheap ass while maybe his sons might be more inclined to spend more to bring a WS to DC?
Wish old man Lerner gave a damn about winning.

I'm guessing Linty is being sarcastic, but the other two? We're kicking ass, have awesome young players, just gave Zim his big contract, what else do you want? We've improved double digit wins last two seasons, will have another big increase this season, may make the playoffs...

Be happy.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #326: June 15, 2012, 12:59:22 AM »
I have the total clown on ignore but this along with the other panic-monkey threads is really turning the board to crap. Everything is becoming a clown topic.

Agreed.

Ever since the team started winning the board started turning to crap. Too many (insert player here) fans, not enough Nats fans.

:(

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #327: June 15, 2012, 01:02:52 AM »
I'm guessing Linty is being sarcastic, but the other two? We're kicking ass, have awesome young players, just gave Zim his big contract, what else do you want? We've improved double digit wins last two seasons, will have another big increase this season, may make the playoffs...

Be happy.

I wish I was, but I'm not. Old man.   ,,Lerner has never shown an interest in winning. If winning is a byproduct of making a profit he'll take it, but he's only concerned with the bottom line.

Nothing he has done since he took over the team says otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, he's well within his rights as an owner to run the team for profit and not to be a winner... But I don't want to hear about Lerner bringing a winner to DC.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #328: June 15, 2012, 01:21:10 AM »
How about:

1) Zimmerman contract
2) Werth contract
3) In bidding until the final stages for Prince Fielder
4) Allowing the GM to draft Boras guys who want huge signing bonus money

The perception that Lerner is cheap does not exist outside of Washington.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #329: June 15, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »
Each of those can easily be torn apart. I'm too tired to do it tonight.

If no one else chooses to answer why it is a fallacy, I'll do it in the morning.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #330: June 15, 2012, 01:24:12 AM »
Is Trout a FA a year before Bryce??? Could be huge....especially when his team will be knee deep in an awful contract for an old player with still years to go.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #331: June 15, 2012, 01:25:47 AM »
What awful player would that be Hogie?

Won't be Werth. He'll be gone by the end of Harper's career.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #332: June 15, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »
I wasn't talking about us.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #333: June 15, 2012, 01:52:55 AM »
Correct you are! I read your post wrong, a hazard of late night posting I suppose! :lol:

Offline Coladar

« Reply #334: June 15, 2012, 02:14:06 AM »
Agreed.

Ever since the team started winning the board started turning to crap. Too many (insert player here) fans, not enough Nats fans.

:(

Yeah, there's no doubt about that. What can you do, though? I'd rather have 2 million people rooting for the Nats for some reason, than 200,000 rooting for the Nats even during seasons like 2009. It might not be the greatest thing, but it's not a bad thing either.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #335: June 15, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »
Yeah, there's no doubt about that. What can you do, though? I'd rather have 2 million people rooting for the Nats for some reason, than 200,000 rooting for the Nats even during seasons like 2009. It might not be the greatest thing, but it's not a bad thing either.

Go spend some time at Extreme Skins and then look at the crop of panic-monkeys and Player X obsessed donk that have shown up and tell me you like the future of this board. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #336: June 15, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »
I'm going to start a Harper long term contract 2013 thread next year just to piss you off

:lmao:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #337: June 15, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »

So would I. I just don't want to have to read their posts.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #338: June 15, 2012, 07:47:40 AM »
Go spend some time at Extreme Skins and then look at the crop of panic-monkeys and Player X obsessed donk that have shown up and tell me you like the future of this board. 

While I agree with your premise, what can be worse is panic-monkeys nagging about panic-monkeys.  Have a little faith in our moderators who make this board great.  They've shown the willingness to give multiple chances and still ban people who are ridiculously over-the-top.

Stop trolling.  Enjoy first place.  We're kicking ass.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #339: June 15, 2012, 07:48:17 AM »
How about:

1) Zimmerman contract
2) Werth contract
3) In bidding until the final stages for Prince Fielder
4) Allowing the GM to draft Boras guys who want huge signing bonus money

The perception that Lerner is cheap does not exist outside of Washington.

1) Team friendly contract. We got a steal, Zim did us a favor.
2) We dropped payroll the year we signed Werth. He just replaced a bunch of contracts we got off the books.
3) LOL. Yeah, just like we were in the bidding until the final stages of Tex.
4) I love our draft strategy, but these are no-brainers. Our drafts cost less than most free agent contracts.

Hey, I hope they continue the upward trend of payroll and I hope we keep our homegrown talent. But they haven't done anything to show that they are capable of paying top dollar for Harper and Strasburg.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #340: June 15, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
1) Team friendly contract. We got a steal, Zim did us a favor.
2) We dropped payroll the year we signed Werth. He just replaced a bunch of contracts we got off the books.
3) LOL. Yeah, just like we were in the bidding until the final stages of Tex.
4) I love our draft strategy, but these are no-brainers. Our drafts cost less than most free agent contracts.

Hey, I hope they continue the upward trend of payroll and I hope we keep our homegrown talent. But they haven't done anything to show that they are capable of paying top dollar for Harper and Strasburg.

They also haven't been free agents.  They also haven't had a top-prize, about-to-be-a-free-agent guy in their system.  Of course they haven't shown you anything yet.  There is no history.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #341: June 15, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
If some people want to be doom sayers about ownership, it's their right.

Fact is this franchise past few years (post-Bowden) has gone 59-69-80 with the potential to win 90+ this season. Throughout the process there have been good drafts, beneficial signings (Werth, Capps, LaRoche, E-Jax, Pudge, etc), extensions when appropriate (Zimmerman, Gio), and the team has done it the right way. There is a focus on pitching and defense once mocked on this board in yesteryears that is now paying off in beastly fashion. The team also has a lot of young talent and the farm system, which yielded a trade for Gio and has graduated a lot of top talent, still has some exciting pieces.

Yes, how we hit the basement in 2008/9 is shameful, but that's the past. In a few short years this franchise has gone from the "lowly Natinals" to what many consider both the team of the present and the future.

I tend to have an overly optimistic view, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying we'll have tons of fun for the rest of this decade.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #342: June 15, 2012, 08:40:32 AM »
Focus on defense? Even our ideal everyone healthy outfield isn't great defensively

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #343: June 15, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
With new fans and new board members, rather than several threads being taken over by Lerner talk, several threads will be taken over by Lerner or Strasburg or Harper talk.  This thread manages to have done all of the above.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #344: June 15, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
If some people want to be doom sayers about ownership, it's their right.

Fact is this franchise past few years (post-Bowden) has gone 59-69-80 with the potential to win 90+ this season. Throughout the process there have been good drafts, beneficial signings (Werth, Capps, LaRoche, E-Jax, Pudge, etc), extensions when appropriate (Zimmerman, Gio), and the team has done it the right way. There is a focus on pitching and defense once mocked on this board in yesteryears that is now paying off in beastly fashion. The team also has a lot of young talent and the farm system, which yielded a trade for Gio and has graduated a lot of top talent, still has some exciting pieces.

Yes, how we hit the basement in 2008/9 is shameful, but that's the past. In a few short years this franchise has gone from the "lowly Natinals" to what many consider both the team of the present and the future.

I tend to have an overly optimistic view, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying we'll have tons of fun for the rest of this decade.

I agree - the Lerners are learning.  They started off terribly but have shown a lot of progress.

Focus on defense? Even our ideal everyone healthy outfield isn't great defensively

Out of all that, all you got was the line about defense?  And then narrow it down to just the outfield?  Even there, we are miles better than running Lastings Milledge out in center field.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #345: June 15, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »
While I agree with your premise, what can be worse is panic-monkeys nagging about panic-monkeys.  Have a little faith in our moderators who make this board great.  They've shown the willingness to give multiple chances and still ban people who are ridiculously over-the-top.

Stop trolling.  Enjoy first place.  We're kicking ass.

:clap: :clap: While there have been some :roll: type posts lately, I hardly think this board has "turned to crap."  The same people who have made this board awesome for years continue to do so.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #346: June 15, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »
:clap: :clap: While there have been some :roll: type posts lately, I hardly think this board has "turned to crap."  The same people who have made this board awesome for years continue to do so.

Blue left. :(

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #347: June 15, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
Out of all that, all you got was the line about defense?  And then narrow it down to just the outfield?  Even there, we are miles better than running Lastings Milledge out in center field.

It's the only trait people assign to Rizzo that bothers me, out field defense is nothing special, in field is, but Zimmermann predates Rizzo and, if you believe rumors, they tried pretty hard to replace LaRoche this offseason with a defensive down grade. Desmond is good but nothing special, Espinosa is great, but the imply a GM's philosophy based on Espi seems like a stretch

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #348: June 15, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »
Wish old man Lerner gave a damn about winning.

There are Redskins supporters who wish not-necessarily-old-man Snyder gave a damn about winning.

The Nationals could be poised on the threshold of a pennant/Series winning campaign that could totally revolutionise the local sports scene.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #349: June 15, 2012, 09:17:36 AM »