Author Topic: (S0)rian0 to Meet With Phillies on Wednesday  (Read 4664 times)

(S0)rian0 to Meet With Phillies on Wednesday
« Topic Start: November 14, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16005412.htm

GMs try bowling before baseballPhils officials are expected to get to work tomorrow in a meeting with Alfonso Soriano's representatives.
By Jim Salisbury
Inquirer Staff Writer

Dressed in flowery bowling shirts, the game's GMs gathered in the lobby of the Naples Grande Resort on their way to a kickoff bowling tournament about noon yesterday.

Upon returning a couple of hours later, Phillies GM Pat Gillick reported that he had rolled a 122. He went on to say that Chicago White Sox GM Ken Williams won the event and that St. Louis' Walt Jocketty brought up the rear with a 46.

"But he won the World Series," Gillick said.

Gillick is trying to bring a title to Philadelphia and has listed a middle-of-the-order bat and pitching help as the team's biggest needs.

"They're equal," he said.

The search for both began weeks ago but will intensify at these weeklong meetings.

The Phillies have targeted Alfonso Soriano as the hitter they'd most like to sign. Bidding for free agents opened Sunday.

Gillick refused to comment when asked if the Phils had made an offer to Soriano, but a baseball source with knowledge of the situation said the team had not. The source went on to say that team officials were planning to meet with Soriano's representatives tomorrow.

Gillick tried to downplay interest in Soriano, which has been characterized as serious in media reports.

"We've had no conversations with those people lately," he said of Soriano's representatives. "The only conversations we've had with them were about [Kerry] Wood, and Wood signed."

The righthander re-signed with the Chicago Cubs and so, too, did slugging third baseman Aramis Ramirez, who got a five-year deal worth $15 million per season. Soriano is seeking even more than that, and has set Carlos Beltran's seven-year, $119 million deal with the New York Mets (average salary: $17 million) as his price. The Phillies are tight-lipped on matters of free agency and money, but there have been indications that they will not go that high for Soriano, who hit 46 home runs last season.

Several other teams, including the Los Angeles Dodgers and Houston Astros, are interested in Soriano, and the field could grow with Ramirez's bat off the market. The Los Angeles Angels had been high on Ramirez and now could intensify efforts to sign Soriano. Ramirez and Gary Sheffield had been backup possibilities for the Phillies, but both have found homes.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1: November 14, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »
Why didn't they just keep Abreu?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: November 14, 2006, 01:54:26 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"

I guess they liked the prospects they got in return.  They could get prospects plus Soriano. Cant argue with that

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: November 14, 2006, 02:16:42 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Quote from: "The Chief"

I guess they liked the prospects they got in return.  They could get prospects plus Soriano. Cant argue with that

Good point.

I wonder if Sori's HR total would even go up that much at CBP?  I don't remember him having very many "almost gone" hits at RFK.  Seemed like it was either way gone, or a groundout or shallow flyout.

« Reply #4: November 14, 2006, 02:27:47 PM »
Phillies seem to be really gunning.  Reports say they have made (S0)rian0 an offer...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061114&content_id=1740352&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: November 14, 2006, 03:23:47 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
Phillies seem to be really gunning.  Reports say they have made (S0)rian0 an offer...

I read someplace, that the Cubs made Soriano the same offer they made to Ramirez, 5 years at $73 million. I also read that the Angels have offered 6 years at $80 million. If the numbers are true for both offers, it doesn't look like he's gonna get a 7 year $119 million offer like Beltran did with the Mets.

I wonder what Nats highest offer to Soriano is, or will be? I also wonder if he would accept a little less per year to get a longer deal, or if the amount is irrelevant, and it's really the no trade clause he wants, so at least in his mind, he can feel secure about where he is...

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #6: November 14, 2006, 03:29:10 PM »
Could Soriano have SOME respect for the team he just screwed over by not signing with a division rival?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7: November 14, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"
Could Soriano have SOME respect for the team he just screwed over by not signing with a division rival?

At least youd get to boo the crap out of him 9-10 times a year

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #8: November 14, 2006, 06:25:45 PM »
Why would you do that?  He said he wants to stay here and loves Washington...and that the team is going to be exciting and blah blah blah...

« Reply #9: November 14, 2006, 06:31:45 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
(Image removed from quote.)

That about sums it up and what I think of him and his hyena smiling mouth.

Anyway we can put that Emoticon with the other choices?  I would promise to use it a lot.  :lol:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #10: November 14, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »

Why would you boo Soriano if he's on a team other than the Nationals?
He deserves better than that, after all, he, along with Zimmerman, are the only players, who day in, day out, played his guts out for the team.

To boo him because he choose to accept a better deal someplace else makes no sense to me.

« Reply #11: November 14, 2006, 07:27:31 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

Why would you boo Soriano if he's on a team other than the Nationals?
He deserves better than that, after all, he, along with Zimmerman, are the only players, who day in, day out, played his guts out for the team.

To boo him because he choose to accept a better deal someplace else makes no sense to me.

But to boo him for running his mouth and feeding the DC public BS makes complete sense.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #12: November 14, 2006, 07:49:35 PM »
Oh my God, I must have gotten lost... I thought this was a message board for Washington Nationals fans, not one for New York Muts or Skankee fans. Leave the bellyaching and crying to them, and as a result, Nats fans will show they have more class...

Then again, go ahead and boo. You can always be the exception to the rule...  :wink:  :lol:

« Reply #13: November 14, 2006, 08:16:07 PM »
Oh my God, I must have gotten lost... I thought this was a message board for Washington Nationals fans, not one for New York Muts or Skankee fans. Leave the bellyaching and crying to them, and as a result, Nats fans will show they have more class...

Then again, go ahead and boo. You can always be the exception to the rule...  :wink:  :lol:

I'm sorry we can't all be as saintly as you and follow your example.  I'm sorry that we just can't enjoy and see the honor in being lied to and lead on.  We all can't hide our feelings of being cheated and betrayed as well as you.

You are a wall.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: November 14, 2006, 09:03:57 PM »
Or we could claim to not have a team of our own and complain about those who do.  

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #15: November 14, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm sorry we can't all be as saintly as you and follow your example.
That's OK, you're forgiven...

I'm sorry that we just can't enjoy and see the honor in being lied to and lead on.
Welcome to the world Expos fans lived from 1991 until it's departure to Washington at the end of 2004.
(I know you hate to be reminded that this is the Montreal Expos franchise, but hey, tough titties, because that's what it is)

We all can't hide our feelings of being cheated and betrayed as well as you.
Maybe when you're older, you too will find out that reality bites, and you can choose to cry or live with it.

You are a wall.
Nope, Canadian 8)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #16: November 14, 2006, 09:40:07 PM »
Soriano hasn't signed with anyone yet.  He's doing what he said he would do all season: test the free agency market and get the price.  Soriano is not going to use speculation by ESPN, Fox or message boards to get that answer.  I also think he was sincere in wanting to stay in DC, but even he can't help it if someone offers him a ridiculously large amount of money.  I'm guessing Washington gets a discount off his best solid offer, and we're not going to make a deal based on speculation either.  

I felt in Sept that the Dodgers were the ones who could best afford him.  Their attendance and existing payroll makes him more possible there than anywhere else.  Since Philly traded Abreu, they may not even be serious - could just be trying to raise his price to us.  

I'm curious how Soriano feels about Acta, a fellow Dominican Republican.  Acta benched Soriano in the WBC, for his poor fielding at 2nd base, while he was slumping at the bat.  Soriano now recognizes he's better at outfield.  If Soriano signs with Washington, I wouldn't be surprised to hear one day that the front office ran Acta's name by Soriano - just to let him know we're thinking about him.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #17: November 14, 2006, 09:50:22 PM »
Or we could claim to not have a team of our own and complain about those who do.  

(Image removed from quote.)

You're right, I should be browbeaten into creating an avatar that's much the same as most of the others. And of course, with my being a none Washingtonian, I should absolutely force myself to be reminded of a that city's past every time I post a message, or oh no, wait, better I should invent an all new Zimmerman avatar, after all, there are only about 20 or 30 already.

Now it's my turn to say I'm sorry... I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna use or create an avatar that represents the past, or places one player about the rest the team. The players I watched and followed over the years are spread all over baseball, hence my current avatar. You don't like it, tough. It's gonna stay until I change it to something I think works for me.

Oh and BTW, I love you too... :D

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #18: November 14, 2006, 09:53:31 PM »
I thought you changed your avatar because the Nats hadn't earned your loyalty yet?  So now it's because you can't find anything that works for you now?   :P

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #19: November 14, 2006, 09:56:31 PM »
Quote from: "nats2playoffs"
Soriano hasn't signed with anyone yet.  He's doing what he said he would do all season: test the free agency market and get the price.

Congratulations, nats2playoffs, you take First Prize. And I was actually starting to think that no one noticed that Soriano is doing exactly what he said he would do.

My confidence is renewed... Why? Because at the same time Soriano said he was going to test the waters, he also said he wanted to stay in Washington. And by golly he ain't gone yet...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #20: November 14, 2006, 09:58:10 PM »
I thought you changed your avatar because the Nats hadn't earned your loyalty yet?  So now it's because you can't find anything that works for you now?   :P

It was that too... And I'm always looking for ideas to change it. Still, I'm in no rush, the one I have now, doesn't bother me a bit...

« Reply #21: November 14, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »

I'm sorry that we just can't enjoy and see the honor in being lied to and lead on.
Welcome to the world Expos fans lived from 1991 until it's departure to Washington at the end of 2004.
(I know you hate to be reminded that this is the Montreal Expos franchise, but hey, tough titties, because that's what it is)

Maybe when you're older, you too will find out that reality bites, and you can choose to cry or live with it.

You are a wall.
Nope, Canadian 8)

Who are these Expos you speak of?  I can't find them on any current list of MLB teams...you must be senile in your old age.  I know you hate to be reminded they just don't exist anymore but hey, tough titty says the kitty, because that's how it is.

Talk about a bunch of fans whining and crying.  Jesus, its like some kid whose dog died three weeks ago and he still doesn't want to go back to school because he is still "too depressed."  We've had a time for mourning and sorrow for the Expos.  Time to get over it and move on.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #22: November 14, 2006, 11:45:51 PM »
Who are these Expos you speak of?  I can't find them on any current list of MLB teams...

Yes, yes, please... show everyone here, just how much class you have.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #23: November 14, 2006, 11:47:41 PM »

You are a wall.
Nope, Canadian 8)

Who are these Expos you speak of?  I can't find them on any current list of MLB teams...you must be senile in your old age.  I know you hate to be reminded they just don't exist anymore but hey, tough titty says the kitty, because that's how it is.

Talk about a bunch of fans whining and crying.  Jesus, its like some kid whose dog died three weeks ago and he still doesn't want to go back to school because he is still "too depressed."  We've had a time for mourning and sorrow for the Expos.  Time to get over it and move on.
WHOAH THERE PARDNER!!!!!

I'm D.C. born and raised, grew up next to the Howard U Hospital (site of old Griffiths Field), torch-carrier of generations of Senators fans, and also a half Canadian (passport-carrying to this day, mind you) Expos fan til I die. Don't be dishing any disrespect to old Expos fans...a whole lot of our baseball DNA is (and--knock wood--always will be) Expos'.  This team has a couple of personalities, and that's a good thing.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #24: November 14, 2006, 11:50:25 PM »
I just have to ask because it's killing me: how can you be born in DC and be half-Canadian with a passport?  Did you get dual citizenship or something?  Then the obvious question would be...why would you do that? (not saying anything bad about being Canadian of course, just wondering what would be a reason to have dual citizenship with Canada).