Author Topic: Riots in London  (Read 2370 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Riots in London
« Reply #25: August 09, 2011, 04:54:04 AM »
Spurs do stink. 

Signed, Arsenal fan

:lol:

Reading the morning news. Violence spreads to Birmingham, Bristol, and Liverpool. Whoever said Brixton likes to riot got that one right. But there is this inspiring story:

Lizzy Davies is with a couple of dozen people who are standing with gloves in their hands and binbags in their pockets outside Hackney town hall. She reports:

They've come from all over London for the #riotcleanup, which has been publicised on Twitter this morning.

But they've come up against an unexpected problem: the clean-up's already been done. The streets in the area have been hosed down, the glass swept up and bins re-erected in their proper places.

"It feels a bit like we've got an overefficient council," said Andrew Knight, who had come from Finsbury Park via Homebase in order to try to help out.

"I guess I felt it's not good enough not to do it. I've lived in London for 10 years and finally my moral conscience has woken up," he laughed.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/09/london-riots-violence-looting-live