Author Topic: Android Thread  (Read 43755 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Android Thread
« Reply #275: September 17, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »
I don't think that had anything to do with it :lol:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #276: September 17, 2012, 12:58:21 AM »
just to be clear, it's not the Google Wallet app that is causing the problem, per se.

it is the security settings on the NFC chip.

whats going on, is that I didn't disable the google wallet app before I did the factory reset, therefore the NFc chip is still linked to my google wallet account and is locked by pincode.

now when I try to set up google wallet again after the reset, the NFC chip, behind the scenes,  is requiring a pincode that i cannot enter. and therefore, the new installation of Google Wallet, on my factory-reset phone cannot connect to the NFC chip.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #277: September 17, 2012, 01:31:29 AM »
Where is your NFC chip?  On my GNex it's on the battery, and I bought an extended battery (with chip obv) and cover for less than $30.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #278: September 17, 2012, 07:42:34 AM »
Good thought. Might be worth a shot

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #279: September 20, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
Looks like i panicked a bit early. Was able to set up and use my app this morning.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #280: October 08, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57526808-94/google-lg-to-unveil-nexus-phone-at-the-end-of-the-month/

LG will finally get its own Nexus smartphone based on its recently unveiled flagship Optimus G, CNET has learned.
The phone will be announced at the end of the month, according to a person briefed on the matter. While it will run some of the same specifications as the Optimus G, it will be modified to fit into the Nexus program. Google and LG haven't yet come up with a name for the product.
Like the Optimus G, the phone is expected to come with Qualcomm's Snapdragon quad-core processor, 2 gigabytes of RAM, a 1,280x768 True-High Definition IPS display, an 8-megapixel camera, and a nonremovable battery. It will also have no microSD slot and only 8GB to 16GB of internal storage, according to Modaco.
LG, however, may not be the only company to unveil a Nexus phone, the person said. Indeed, there has been talk that multiple handset manufacturers will get their crack at building a Nexus device.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #281: October 08, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »
I don't understand the fight to be a 'nexus' -  is there anything preventing any manufacturer from releasing a stock Android phone?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #282: October 08, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
:shrug:

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #283: October 09, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
Maybe if you release it as a stock phone, you can't load it with bloatware, and don't get backing from the major carriers, therefore, it's unaffordable?

I don't understand the fight to be a 'nexus' -  is there anything preventing any manufacturer from releasing a stock Android phone?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #284: October 09, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
Maybe if you release it as a stock phone, you can't load it with bloatware, and don't get backing from the major carriers, therefore, it's unaffordable?

the overwhelming majority of the bloatware on my SG3 is samsung and not carrier

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #285: October 29, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57542066-94/nexus-4-phone-with-android-4.2-confirmed-by-google-lg/

The Nexus 4, as previously reported by CNET, is an altered version of LG's flagship Optimus G smartphone. The phone is one of the first with Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon processor, and features a 3G connection using GSM and HSPA+ technology. Unfortunately, a 4G LTE model isn't yet available.
glad I didn't wait for nexus- lots of nice features, but no LTE is a deal breaker

Offline The Chief

« Reply #286: October 29, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
Jeez HS, they said "yet".  Give up easy much? :lol:

I've been waiting for the Nexus and I'll continue to wait until it's clear that there will or won't be an LTE version.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #287: October 29, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »
Jeez HS, they said "yet".  Give up easy much? :lol:

I've been waiting for the Nexus and I'll continue to wait until it's clear that there will or won't be an LTE version.

they've announced dates for shipment, no mention of variants, http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-4-official/ doesn't mention the possibility of LTE. More than anything this makes me happier that I got the SG3 instead of waiting- the SD card is huge for me too. 4.2 also seems a little weak since the biggest  feature appears to be ripping off swype

Offline The Chief

« Reply #288: October 29, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
I guess we'll see.  All of my coworkers have the SGS3 and as soon as I picked one up I knew I didn't want it.  Just don't have any interest in dealing with crappy third-party skins again.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #289: October 29, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
I'm still scraping by with my old Galaxy Nexus :|

Offline The Chief

« Reply #290: October 29, 2012, 04:45:42 PM »
I'm still scraping by with an original Galaxy S :lol:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #291: December 04, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
on the phone with google customer service.

apparently someone gained access to my account somehow, and registered a htc incredible under my account.

so I change my password.

now I can't log into my phone. it won't accept the new password. also, an app just magically appeared under my account that I've never heard of.

this moron on the phone keeps telling me that he can't remove the app from my account. i don't give a crap whether he can remove the app. I want my account secure again, and I want to have access to it.  apparently whoever has access to my account, STILL has access, even though i changed my password, and I DON'T have access.

this is pissing me off, and I'm on the verge of just saying freak google and getting a plain regular, non-smart phone.

I really am. I've very upset about this.

is windows phone 8 any good?

also, if I have to make another google account, and thusly losing all of my past purchases, I'm going to be more pissed than I have ever been.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #292: December 04, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
Can you turn on two steps verification?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #293: December 04, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »

yes, you should definitely use Google two-step verification.

Everyone and their brother should read this:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #294: December 04, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
Jellybean came out for Samsung Galaxy S3 for AT&T finally today :clap:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #295: December 04, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
yes, you should definitely use Google two-step verification.

Everyone and their brother should read this:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/
Good to hear, have that enabled already. It is a pain when signing onto unfamiliar computers (and it is impossible without my cell) but it is secure.

And I never have put my credit card on my google account.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #296: December 04, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »

well, I turned it on yesterday after I changed my password the first time.

problem is, I can't log into my google account from my phone.

I've given up on it at this point, I'm just transitioning to a new account.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #297: December 04, 2012, 05:21:25 PM »
well, I turned it on yesterday after I changed my password the first time.

problem is, I can't log into my google account from my phone.

I've given up on it at this point, I'm just transitioning to a new account.

Go into your google account on your PC, create a password for your phone, use that.  If you have 2 step verification on, you can create "application passwords" or something like that.  It's meant for things like IM apps that don't support 2 step verification.  Maybe that will let you log in.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #298: December 04, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
Go into your google account on your PC, create a password for your phone, use that.  If you have 2 step verification on, you can create "application passwords" or something like that.  It's meant for things like IM apps that don't support 2 step verification.  Maybe that will let you log in.

also, a good place to check if you think your account has been hacked- make sure there's nothing you dont recognize

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #299: December 05, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »
I just got the jelly bean upgrade and I'm loving the minor tweaks- now if only keis didnt suck