Author Topic: The Morning After  (Read 2034 times)

Offline rileyn

The Morning After
« Topic Start: July 19, 2005, 09:02:19 AM »
Lo and behold, the sun came out, the birds are singing, and all seems normal today......so why am I still so GD pissed off about last night's game?

Offline rileyn

The Morning After
« Reply #1: July 19, 2005, 09:26:47 AM »
and another thing that is angering me, every quote I read from Guzman regarding his play seems to be more and more defiant.  It's as if his attitude is, "what do you want from me?".   Be a man like Castilla.  Vinny didn't use his knee as an excuse at all.  He said "I just missed the ball."

gosensgo05

The Morning After
« Reply #2: July 19, 2005, 11:09:02 AM »
Let's face it.  The Nationals were playing above and beyond their abilities until now.  They were overachievers who played smart baseball.  Oh and a little luck helps too.  

I think the NL East division race will come down the final, 162nd game of the season.  Anybody, I mean anybody, can win the NL East.  

The Nats will bounce back soon; they are going through a rough patch.  

Changes need to be made.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

The Morning After
« Reply #3: July 19, 2005, 12:14:24 PM »
Yeah.

I am hoping this is rock bottom (tho I previously thought losing to Ohka was rock bottom).

As slumps go, this one is not monumental, but it sure isn't pleasant. Like all slumps, seem to have to get to the point where you're not hitting, not pitching and not fielding before it turns around (and in a few weeks seems like a dimly remembered nightmare).

I actually don't think the Nats were playing over their heads in the first half. I mean its not like they were 25 over .500.

I think despite the injuries they played relatively error free ball and got excellent relief pitching. That's more a case of playing up to potential.

Much as I think Nick should not be part of the Nats long term future (he just is too unreliable in terms of his injury history) Nats are sure missing him now.

Interesting that, on one hand, Nats (or at least Frank) are voicing their support for Guzman while - according to today's WP - are looking at dealing for Lugo from Tampa.

Course not the first team to say one thing and do another.

I am thinking shutout or close from Patterson 2NITE. Last few starts he's had bordering on no hit stuff and shown the ability to rise to the occasion.

(Course I thought Nats would hammer Rockies last night so what do I know?)

Offline PC

The Morning After
« Reply #4: July 19, 2005, 12:23:14 PM »
I'd feel much more confident if Guzman wasn't starting.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
The Morning After
« Reply #5: July 19, 2005, 05:52:19 PM »
In baseball, just like in any other sport, what separates champions from also rans, is how a team picks itself up when they hit a wall. The nats are facing that wall and between now and the beginning of August, we'll see just which these guys are made of. The fat lady aint even stepped up the microphone yet, let alone started singing...

luckyexposfan

The Morning After
« Reply #6: July 19, 2005, 05:54:36 PM »
Quote from: "PC"
I'd feel much more confident if Guzman wasn't starting.

Wish granted  :D

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

The Morning After
« Reply #7: July 19, 2005, 05:55:23 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
In baseball, just like in any other sport, what separates champions from also rans, is how a team picks itself up when they hit a wall. The nats are facing that wall and between now and the beginning of August, we'll see just which these guys are made of. The fat lady aint even stepped up the microphone yet, let alone started singing...

Yep!
Still stuffing her face at the all-you-can-eat-buffet where hopefully she chokes.

(how's that for a bad metaphor?)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
The Morning After
« Reply #8: July 19, 2005, 06:31:02 PM »
LOL Works for me...