Author Topic: What Happens if One or Both Phillies Games are Rained Out?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline RL04

I assume they will have to stretch out the season and play them to determine the best record (vice the Reds) in the National League.

Thoughts?  Facts?

Offline 1995hoo

"Vice"? The Marlins were eliminated a long time ago.

Offline NookLoganMafia

I have tickets for tonight's game.  I imagine if a rainout, they'll play tomorrow afternoon's game as scheduled.  Depending upon the result of that game, the home field issue could be resolved (we have the tiebreak over the Reds).  If the tiebreak is not resolved, we'd probably play the second half of a day-night doubleheader. 

Just my thoughts....

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I assume they will have to stretch out the season and play them to determine the best record (vice the Reds) in the National League.

Thoughts?  Facts?

They'd have to play the matches since, at least as of the league tables as of this morning, these matches are still meaningful to the Nationals in terms of post-season seeding (vis-a-vis the Reds, as you state).

Chances of rain, per weather.com just now:

Today - 70% [it's raining outside my office window right now; weather.com's hourly forecast currently sees precip chances in 50-60% range during normal match hours tonight]
Tomorrow - 60% [this has increased over the past couple of days - rules out doubleheader if rained out tonight?]
Thursday - 20%
Friday - nil

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
"Vice"? The Marlins were eliminated a long time ago.
:lmao:

Offline loshjott

They'd have to play the matches since, at least as of the league tables as of this morning, these matches are still meaningful to the Nationals in terms of post-season seeding (vis-a-vis the Reds, as you state).

Chances of rain, per weather.com just now:

Today - 70% [it's raining outside my office window right now]
Tomorrow - 60% [this has increased over the past couple of days - rules out doubleheader if rained out tonight?]
Thursday - 20%
Friday - nil

So, worst case scenario, Nats are rained out today and tomorrow, have to play a DH on Thursday, end up as the #2 seed and have to fly cross country and open their series Saturday in SF.  I guess we want Cincy to lose today and tomorrow so the seeding is wrapped up and these games don't need to be made up.

Offline Ray D

They would play 2 tomorrow if the second game is necessary in order to determine seeding vs. Reds.  If it turns out after the first game that the best the Reds can do is tie us, they won't play the second because we already have head-to-head vs. them. 

So as long as the weather is good tomorrow, it's relatively straightforward, the interesting question becomes, what if they are unable, due to weather, to play one or both games, and one or both are still meaningful.  Play Thursday? 

Offline OldChelsea

[...]So as long as the weather is good tomorrow, it's relatively straightforward, the interesting question becomes, what if they are unable, due to weather, to play one or both games, and one or both are still meaningful.  Play Thursday? 

About the only option since the Wild Card play-ins are Friday (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp?y=12).

---

Interesting how our regular season is ending, meteorologically anyway - our final homestand has had rain, or the threat of same, practically on the same level as it seems in every other homestand since the All-Star break (Dodgers-Brewers the honourable exception).

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I wonder if they'd schedule the first game for Wednesday at 10 AM in order to maximize the chances of getting both games played tomorrow.

Offline 1995hoo

Adam Kilgore just sent out a tweet that Gorzelanny is starting tonight's game instead of Gio Gonzalez.

Offline OldChelsea

I wonder if they'd schedule the first game for Wednesday at 10 AM in order to maximize the chances of getting both games played tomorrow.

I'd love it! [just like I liked the early start on the Fourth of July; taking all day off tomorrow]

Offline 1995hoo

I'd love it! [just like I liked the early start on the Fourth of July; taking all day off tomorrow]

I loved the early start on July 4 too. I'll be driving all day tomorrow, so a 10:00 AM start sounds great, put the game on the radio (with XM, I can pick it up despite going well beyond the Nationals' regular radio territory).

Offline BigMeech

Adam Kilgore just sent out a tweet that Gorzelanny is starting tonight's game instead of Gio Gonzalez.

Saturday (or Sunday) can't come fast enough.

Offline nfotiu

Jeez, that's a huge rest for Gio.  Makes me a little nervous.  Don't know what else they would do if they want him available Saturday though.

Offline loshjott

Gio hung over?

Offline Ray D

Davey's lost interest in having best record?   

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Gomer!

Offline Count Walewski

Then I guess we'll see Eury Perez pitch.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

If both games are rained out we would play a triple-header:  Both games with Philly and then the first game of the NLDS.   :)

Offline Ray D

Then I guess we'll see Eury Perez pitch.

I just hope we see him. Period.

Offline Count Walewski

Has Eury Perez played defense in the majors at any point this season? I don't even remember what position he allegedly plays.

Offline OldChelsea

Has Eury Perez played defense in the majors at any point this season? I don't even remember what position he allegedly plays.

He has - three matches each at centre field and left field (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/31286/type/fielding/eury-perez); in the ESPN.com roster he is listed as a centre fielder.

Offline Ray D

I believe he is the only legitimate center fielder we have on the team.

Offline Ray D

At this point is seems a good bet that they'll get tonight's game in.   

If we win and Reds lose, we clinch home field.  Remind me why Gio isn't pitching?

Offline NookLoganMafia

Looking at the radar, I agree that the worst of the rain appears to have passed.  Tonight will be damp with some occasional showers, but we'll play.