Author Topic: New CBA reached, will be announced next week.  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: New CBA reached, will be announced next week.
« Reply #75: November 22, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
If the MLB is so concerned about teams spending too much on the draft, why didn't they put in hard caps on how much players drafted in each round can sign for; like the NBA does?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #76: November 22, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »
The Astros are so freaking boned.

Of course it was the Astros almost alone in baseball who insisted on offering only slot, so if they had persisted they would have benefited from the new system. 

Under new ownership, of course, it really ties their hands.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #77: November 22, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
In theory couldn't we just purposefully not sign anyone after round 30 and use all that money on draftees we actually care about.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #78: November 22, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
Minty, grab your gear... I need to get my right arm warm.

I think we finally have a shot of making pro ball!

Ready.  I can be in Florida by Dec. 1.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #79: November 22, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
The penalties for exceeding the cap on international players are mostly financial penalties.  Which means the Yankees and Red Sox will be fine with spending a ton internationally as well. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #80: November 22, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
Congrats?

I enjoy it... but it's not like I'd miss it if it went away.

okay smart ass.  i'm just saying!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #81: November 22, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
On the plus side, at least we've taken advantage of the system over the past few years and drafted some over slot talent.

If Bowden were still in charge, he'd have us still mired in the depths of 100+ losses with no end in sight.

:doh:

not this again ... it's not just bowden's fault we had 100 losses.  there are plenty of people responsible for that as well that are still part of this organization (cough cough, owners, players, etc).

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #82: November 22, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
This is a CBA thread, take the history debates somewhere else guys.  No response is necessary, just do it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #83: November 22, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
MLBTR's wrap-up:

The overwhelming sentiment in baseball is that the CBA will prevent amateur talent from coming into baseball, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo.
More from Passan (via Twitter) as he writes that the new amateur rules will have the greatest effect on successful, low-revenue teams like the Rays, which now have even less room for error than before.
There's already major concern among some baseball officials about the impact of the changes to the draft and the international signings cap on the player talent pool, Buster Olney of ESPN.com tweets. 
The new CBA makes it tougher for teams to draft two-sport stars like the Angels did with Jake Locker, tweets Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.  The Angels drafted Locker in the 10th round of the 2009 draft but the quarterback instead graduated from the University of Washington and was drafted eighth overall in the 2011 NFL Draft by the Titans.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #84: November 22, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
I just don't understand how this could happen.  It's so obviously bad that I just can't fathom how the owners went along with it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #85: November 22, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »
I just don't understand how this could happen.  It's so obviously bad that I just can't fathom how the owners went along with it.

they locked the GMs out of the discussion and focused on how they could shift spending from rookies to vets.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #86: November 22, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
they locked the GMs out of the discussion and focused on how they could shift spending from rookies to vets.

Yep.

Haven't seen a GM yet that is happy with the changes.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #87: November 22, 2011, 05:15:43 PM »
Well, at least they moved the signing date up

Aside from that, MLB just drove more athletes to basketball/football

Though I will be interested to see the loophole that Scott Boras finds

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #88: November 22, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
Glad I started getting into the Premier League...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #89: November 22, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »
Glad I started getting into the Premier League...

marlins don't play there

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #90: November 22, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »

Good for owners (at least for their bottom line) and good for players (again, for their bottom line).  Hurts fans, amateur players - neither had a representative in the room.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #91: November 22, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
Good for owners (at least for their bottom line) and good for players (again, for their bottom line).  Hurts fans, amateur players - neither had a representative in the room.

Great, so since the vets can't pay the bills with steroids anymore, they're just going to drop the pretense and do it through sheer force of "law" :?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #92: November 22, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
MLB Network was just showing how the CBA changes FA compensation, I tried to get a picture but it went by too fast.  Apparently it does away with Elias rankings, among other things.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #93: November 22, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
Sooooo...

I hear the UEFA Champions League is in late spring.  Any good distractions in the mid-late summer?

Tour De Dope is  a great way to kill July.  Best announcers on TV are Phil Liggett and Paul Scherwin.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #94: November 22, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
Would it be allowed to sign the player to a slot level bonus with an unnofficial agreement between the draftee and the club to re structure the players deal after he is initially signed?  Bud selig would be furious but would that be possible?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #95: November 22, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
How long will the CBA be in place?

I saw the deal compared a bit to communism.  Might be a bit over the top, but I can see where they were coming from.  I also saw Selig touting that we've now had 21 years of labor peace.  If the GM's were left completely out of this deal and it is the disaster everyone thinks it will be, I don't think we'll have labor peace after this deal is over.  Is there any room for them to file suit?  Collusion or something like that, perhaps?

I'd say the Nats might have caught another huge break with this deal coming when it did after the last 3 drafts they've had.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #96: November 22, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »
They're making all 30 teams clones of each other.

Horrible for the game in the long run... better on the owner's bottom line.

Sounds like they're trying to turn it into the NFL.  Next up, stricter uniform regulation.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #97: November 22, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »
The posting system remains intact for now, so that is the place to assert financial muscle.  This may bump up the cost of Darvish and the others.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #98: November 22, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »
Quote from: Paul Hoynes
Nugget from new basic agreement: No new players will be allowed to use low density maple bats during length of contract.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #99: November 22, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Holy crap, the real winners of the CBA are the lawyers.  The tax codes are less complicated.  I wanted to scan through the deal to try to figure out how it helps/hurts the Nats, but screw that, I'd rather watch Beavis and Butthead.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5521:inside-mlbs-new-5-year-labor-agreement&catid=30:mlb-news&Itemid=42