Author Topic: Nats sign Pedro Astacio.  (Read 1747 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #1: February 27, 2006, 09:51:17 PM »
Thank goodness, at least another arm to try out.  Pretty soon they were going to having open tryouts in Anacostia.

Offline rileyn

Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #2: February 27, 2006, 11:01:10 PM »
Pedro Astacio just doesn't excite me.  I know he fills a dire need for us, but does he have anything left?  History of arm troubles, losing record on a team that won the NL West, didn't think he looked any good against us at RFK last summer.  Anyways, my fingers are crossed and I will root like hell for him to succeed.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #3: February 28, 2006, 02:54:51 AM »
Astacio was 4-2 with the padres, and unless the rules of mathematics have changed, that's not a losing record. Also, 8 of his 10 starts with the Padres were quality starts, that in itself is pretty impressive. How many Nats pitchers last season had 80% of their starts be quality starts? None. Even if you include his quality start percentage with the Rangers, he's at 64%. Hernandez was 63% and Patterson 61% and they had the advantage of playing half their games in a pitcher's park.

Give the guy a chance, if he passes his MRI on Wednesday, we can start hoping he  can carry over the kind of numbers he had with SD to DC.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #4: February 28, 2006, 09:02:31 AM »
I don't have any delusions that this guy is going to deliver us to the promised land, but like Ken says, if the MRI goes well, he may have enough left in the tank to be a solid starter for us.  

And don't we need some of those.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #5: February 28, 2006, 11:32:52 AM »
Isn't he the guy who made us look stupid when we went to San Diego towards the end of the season, or am I thinking of somebody else?

Offline Dave B

Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #6: February 28, 2006, 12:06:08 PM »
Twice

@RFK
Pitchers I               P  H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST
P Astacio (W, 1-2) 6.0 4 2  2   3   4    1  88-54

@SD
Pitchers   IP  H  R ER BB SO HR PC-ST
P Astacio 7.0 3  1  1   2   2     0 80-50

Offline Dave B

Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #7: February 28, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »
I like this deal better than getting hosed in a trade because of desperation.  Just let it all play out.  Hope Soriano pads his stats and trade him at the deadline.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #8: February 28, 2006, 02:38:51 PM »
Astacio pitched very well after the all star break last season, having only one bad outing once he got into the rotation after the break.

In all of that season, Astacio started 9 games in parks that are considered pitcher's parks. Of the 9 starts, 8 were Quality Starts, (6 innings or more, while allowing 3 runs or less) he had an ERA of 2.97 and a Walks to Hits ratio of 1.179.

In regards to rumors about trading for a pitcher from Boston, or any other American League team, I salivate. Why? Well, because if you take all 30 MLB parks and divide the number down the middle, where the bottom 15 parks lean in favor of pitchers, as to the number of runs given up, 11 of those parks are in the National League... Works for me...

DelNatsFan

Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #9: February 28, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
Bottom line: What do we have to lose?

Offline rileyn

Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #10: February 28, 2006, 05:43:37 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
Isn't he the guy who made us look stupid when we went to San Diego towards the end of the season, or am I thinking of somebody else?

What pitcher didn't make us look stupid last year in the 2nd half?  I throw that argument out.  I will give him a chance, but I remember that game at RFK.  We could have knocked him out early, but our inability to do anything with RISP killed us.    Also, the game in SD was after the Khalil Greene grand slam - we were done that point.

As I said, I will give him a chance but for those of you thinking that he is the answer.........

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #11: February 28, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »
I wasn't suggesting that he was good just because he made us look bad at RFK, I was just asking if that was the same guy I was thinking of or not.

Quote from: "DelNatsFan"

Exactly.

DelNatsFan

Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #12: February 28, 2006, 06:07:39 PM »
Here's another inexpensive suggestion.  Has anyone picked up Kirk Reuter? I didn't see anything on him on mlb.com. I know the Giants released him during the season due to an injury. If he can recover from it he's a very serviceable left-hander. Why not take a flyer on him? If you can sign him to a league minimum deal and he fills the gap while Lawrnece is out, once again what do we have to lose?

Offline rileyn

Nats sign Pedro Astacio.
« Reply #13: February 28, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
I wasn't suggesting that he was good just because he made us look bad at RFK, I was just asking if that was the same guy I was thinking of or not.

Quote from: "DelNatsFan"

Exactly.

True.  I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket.  I really hope it works out for us, but I'm pretty surprised by how hard Bowden pursued him.  Go Pedro!