Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16115 times)

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #275: July 25, 2012, 07:32:53 AM »
How the heck do you run in the summer?  Don't your feet get hot?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #276: July 25, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
Yes ... just like the rest of my body ....

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #277: September 22, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »
Intrigued by the Altra Instinct zero-drop shoe.  Anyone have experience with these?  Last year's version are on sale...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #278: September 28, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »
So i finally started running in my vibram 5-toes.  It's really tough to run on them on sidewalks, but I love running in them on the grass.  How are you guys dealing with the pounding of running in those kinds of shoes on pavement?

Offline Clever

« Reply #279: September 28, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
I have run barefoot my whole life. I shan't possess shoes.

Online Slateman

« Reply #280: September 28, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
So i finally started running in my vibram 5-toes.  It's really tough to run on them on sidewalks, but I love running in them on the grass.  How are you guys dealing with the pounding of running in those kinds of shoes on pavement?

You really, really shouldn't run on them on pavement. Certainly not at first. I would find trails or maybe even run on the grass through people's yards.

Then again, I really only use them to run sprints on hills.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #281: September 28, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »

I wear vivos (same thin sole) -  I got used to them by walking on pavement,  for me it's just different muscles that get sore- I went from having my knees kill after running to sore shins running barefoot

Offline imref

« Reply #282: September 28, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »
I wear vivos (same thin sole) -  I got used to them by walking on pavement,  for me it's just different muscles that get sore- I went from having my knees kill after running to sore shins running barefoot

i found that running on the edge of the grass line works pretty well, then i'm only hitting pavement when crossing driveways.  Unfortunately there aren't any good trails near me, and running on the edge of the lawn, or the grass between the sidewalk and the cuve, means risking stepping in a pile of dog poo.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #283: September 28, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »
i found that running on the edge of the grass line works pretty well, then i'm only hitting pavement when crossing driveways.  Unfortunately there aren't any good trails near me, and running on the edge of the lawn, or the grass between the sidewalk and the cuve, means risking stepping in a pile of dog poo.

I'm pushing a stroller and have a dog on a leash, so I stick to roads, I still prefer barefoot just because my knees feel so much better now

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #284: September 28, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
Sore shins or sore calves?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #285: September 28, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »
I'd take them off and run on pavement first. That will teach you to land on your forefoot very quickly. Once you get a sense for how you should run, put them back on.

Also, this:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #286: September 28, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »
Sore shins or sore calves?

It's was both, but my calves have bulked up,  now just shins

Offline imref

« Reply #287: January 11, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »
I got back into running after about a 4 month layoff.  I've logged about 6 miles this week (up to about 1.5 miles a run right now at around a 10:30 pace).   I'm actually really enjoying running in the cold.  Still running in traditional shoes, might try the vibrams again at some point for very short runs.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for iPhone running apps?  I've tried runkeeper and mapmyrun, I like runkeeper better since it gives five minute updates and auto-starts my playlist whereas mapmyrun requires a monthly subscription for advanced features.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #288: January 11, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »
Does anyone have any good recommendations for iPhone running apps?  I've tried runkeeper and mapmyrun, I like runkeeper better since it gives five minute updates and auto-starts my playlist whereas mapmyrun requires a monthly subscription for advanced features.

I love Runtastic, I think I've got Runtastic Pro and it cost like $4.99 but totally worth it. 

Offline imref

« Reply #289: January 11, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
just realized i forgot to end my run earlier today, do i get credit for a 4 hour workout?

Offline imref

« Reply #290: January 29, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »
I'm loving RunKeeper.  Today I ran 1.68 miles at a 10:21 pace for 17:25 and when I got back to my desk I had an e-mail congratulating me on a new personal best in all 3 areas.

Hoping to reach 2 miles on Thursday or Friday.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #291: January 29, 2013, 11:40:50 PM »
I've been "running" on the treadmill at the gym lately. I'm not sprinter nor marathon runner nor do I hope to be, but being able to run to the aid of my co-workers and not be a waste due to not being able to breathe would be outstanding. Saturday I did 1.25 miles jogging .75 of it. It's not much, but for me, it's excellent. Hell, I'm surprised by my level of endurance thus far. I've only been doing this for about a month now as opposed to the lifting I've been doing for about 3 months.

Offline imref

« Reply #292: January 30, 2013, 12:13:12 AM »
I've been "running" on the treadmill at the gym lately. I'm not sprinter nor marathon runner nor do I hope to be, but being able to run to the aid of my co-workers and not be a waste due to not being able to breathe would be outstanding. Saturday I did 1.25 miles jogging .75 of it. It's not much, but for me, it's excellent. Hell, I'm surprised by my level of endurance thus far. I've only been doing this for about a month now as opposed to the lifting I've been doing for about 3 months.

Congrats!!  I recommend using a program that varies the incline on treadmill. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #293: January 30, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
LIke 70 today again.

Offline imref

« Reply #294: May 09, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »
Vibram is going to refund anyone who bought their 5-toe shoes for running to settle a class-action lawsuit alleging that they over-hyped the benefits of running in their shoes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/05/08/say-it-aint-so-vibram-say-it-aint-so/

I have a pair that I bought for running, but only ran in them a couple of times, it was just too painful to run on asphalt or sidewalks in them. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #295: May 09, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »
They look like they have zero cushion or arch support.
Vibram is going to refund anyone who bought their 5-toe shoes for running to settle a class-action lawsuit alleging that they over-hyped the benefits of running in their shoes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/05/08/say-it-aint-so-vibram-say-it-aint-so/

I have a pair that I bought for running, but only ran in them a couple of times, it was just too painful to run on asphalt or sidewalks in them. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #296: May 09, 2014, 03:22:50 PM »
I wear New Balance minimus with almost no cushion  and no arch support. I'm flat footed so I love them and I'm hoping that this doesn't kill minimal shoes

Online Slateman

« Reply #297: May 09, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
They look like they have zero cushion or arch support.
Holy freak, yes

My god, people are retarded. That was the whole point. To get you to stop running heal to toe and start running on the balls of your feet. But instead of using a bit of common sense, people gotta be retarded and then wonder why they're hurt.

Anyway, how do I get in on this? I bought a pair. Will gladly take some free money.

And in other news, I strained/pulled my hamstring. Not getting better like I thought it would. freak this crap.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #298: May 09, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »

Anyway, how do I get in on this? I bought a pair. Will gladly take some free money.

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/vibram-agrees-to-settle-class-action-lawsuit
who knows, the webpage in the original article if just a domain squatter.

Online Slateman

« Reply #299: May 09, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
Cool. Free $100 is a free $100. Personally, I like lifting in mine. When I want to run barefoot, I find a grassy field. Good for the ankle strength and to toughen the bottom of your feet.