Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 2 (Curly W)  (Read 20763 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
_____________..................vs..................
____________Michael O'Connor; 3-6, 4.32 ERA......Dontrelle Willis; 6-7, 3.80 ERA

The Florida Marlins ' Dontrelle Willis is looking to match his season-high three-game winning streak and he may be facing an ideal opponent.  Willis (6-7, 3.80 ERA) is looking to defeat the Washington Nationals for a career-best 10th time in the middle of a three-game set on Tuesday.

The hard-throwing left-hander is 9-3 with a 3.03 ERA in 12 career starts against Washington. While he has nine wins apiece against the Nationals and New York Mets , he hasn't beaten any other team more than five times.  He defeated Washington for his first win this season, yielding three runs - two earned - in 5 2-3 innings of a 5-3 win on April 14. It was his lone victory in his first 11 starts of 2006 as he started 1-6 with a 4.93 ERA.  Willis has turned around his season, going 5-1 with a 2.51 ERA in his last eight starts. He will equal his longest win streak of the year, set from June 2-20, with a victory Tuesday.  He did not get a decision in his last outing, but allowed one run and six hits in seven innings of a 5-1 loss to the Houston Astros on Thursday.

''I'll be all right. I'll continue to give the club a chance to win,'' Willis said. ''I won't die over it, but I am upset that we lost.''

The 2005 NL Cy Young award runner-up has given up two earned runs or fewer in nine of his last 11 outings.  Willis hopes to help the Marlins (41-50) to their third straight win and first series victory this month. They defeated the Nationals 4-2 in the series opener on Monday after salvaging a split of their four-game set with the Astros in a 9-3 win on Sunday.  Rookie shortstop Hanley Ramirez homered for the second straight game Monday and is 5-for-13 (.385) with four RBIs in the last three contests.

''I'm just trying to get on base,'' said Ramirez, who has five homers in July after hitting just three in the first three months of the season.

The Nationals (39-55) hope to avoid their seventh loss in eight games.  They may have to do it without leading hitter Jose Vidro , who is listed as day-to-day with a left hamstring strain suffered in the fourth inning Monday. The second baseman is hitting .300 in 90 games this season and may again be replaced by Marlon Anderson , who went 1-for-3 in his place on Monday. Anderson has a .279 batting average and has only started seven games at second in 2006.

Second baseman-turned-left fielder Alfonso Soriano has gone 8-for-15 (.533) with two homers and three RBIs in four games since the All-Star break. He is hitting .366 with 19 home runs and 41 RBIs in Washington's 38 wins, while batting .226 with 10 homers and 18 RBIs in the losses.  The five-time All-Star is 5-for-7 (.714) in his career against Willis.

The Nationals are recalling 25-year-old rookie Mike O'Connor (3-6, 4.32) from the minors to start for the first time since a disastrous outing against the Marlins.  The left-hander was removed in the second inning on July 5 after allowing five runs and two homers in an 18-9 loss.

''I didn't want to come out at that time, but it's not my decision,'' O'Connor said. ''I definitely didn't want to come out at that point of the game. I gave up a couple of hits, and I walked a guy. That's about it. It went quick.''

WASHINGTON
1.  A. Soriano lf .282  
2.  F. Lopez ss .261  
3.  R. Zimmerman 3b .292  
4.  N. Johnson 1b .297  
5.  J. Guillen rf .217  
6.  A. Kearns cf .267  
7.  M. Anderson 2b .279  
8.  R. Fick c .266  
9.  M. O'Connor p .045

FLORIDA
1.  H. Ramirez ss .272  
2.  D. Uggla 2b .298  
3.  M. Cabrera 3b .324  
4.  J. Willingham lf .264  
5.  W. Helms 1b .272  
6.  J. Hermida rf .301  
7.  M. Olivo c .285  
8.  R. Abercrombie cf .216  
9.  D. Willis p .118

Offline PC

Does anyone know why this game is on channel 20? Not that I'm complaining but why would, when the tv schedule was put together, this game be televised over the air?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Quote from: "PC"
Does anyone know why this game is on channel 20? Not that I'm complaining but why would, when the tv schedule was put together, this game be televised over the air?

whoa...a Tuesday game...on TV?  

*passes out*

Offline nats2playoffs

I can only assume it's on TV to torture us, as a constant reminder that we cannot see most games, including away games.  Maybe it's to celebrate that, on this day in 1970, Ron Hunt of the San Francisco Giants, was hit by a pitch for the 119th time in his career.  Since I think the Nationals lead MLB in getting hit by pitches in 2005, maybe it was a concession, since MLB beat down this franchise every other way that it could.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
The Nats will win tonight with everyone in their area watching the game, (think of how many people will complain about regular programming being trumped by the Nats).

Offline sportsfan882

We should have won last night because tonight's game will be close to unwinnable.  O'Connor's last start was against the Marlins and he got rocked.  Dontrelle has gone at least 7 innings in every one of his starts since May 27th.  Maybe O'Connor will pitch like he did when he first came up.

Offline JMW IV

I'm calling a big night from our newbies.  just a hunch.

Offline sportsfan882

Zimmerman is back in the #3 hole! Guillen is up to #5 and Kearns is batting #6.
Soriano
Lopez
Zim
NJ
Guillen
AK
Marlon
Fick
O'Connor

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
posted the lineups...interesting changes tonight.

Offline JMW IV

why is Guillen batting himself 5th when he knows he's been struggling?

he knows he should be batting 6th.

Offline NatsAddict

Olivo catching Willis - that's 2nd time in a row.  Normally Treanor catches Willis and Olsen since Olivo has trouble catching lefties.  Get the running shoes on, because there will be passed balls.

Offline nats2playoffs

Felipe Lopez doesn't have many RBIs but can steal. so I'd rather see him lead off.  Since Nick has the most walks I'd like him 3rd with Zim at cleanup.  Pretty good lineup though.  We may need to send metssuck on vacation, since Guillen did best when he was out of town.  (We should have all chipped in to send him to Miami.)  I am anxious to see which O'C shows up.  I agree with spidernat - we will win tonight.  We often make mediocre pitchers look like Cy Young winners.  But we've also had some great games against aces.  

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"

Offline nats2playoffs

I see your call and raise it.

Gotta run - To bring us luck, I'm picking up a Five Guys cheeseburger and seeing the game at my lucky uncle's place.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
why is Guillen batting himself 5th when he knows he's been struggling?

he knows he should be batting 6th.

He hasn't been horrible hyorible.

In the month of July his stats are:

.265  13 rbi's(most by any Nats this month) and you don't want to check his batting ave/ risp becuz tha would jsut dead this argument. Only Nat who's performed better this month is Zimmreman

gozimm

Goodbye!!!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
<<< FIRST PITCH >>>

HOME RUN !!!

Alfonso Soriano!

Washington 1
Florida 0

Offline JMW IV

frickin Guillen.  

anyhow, is anyone else getting just a little bit weary of seeing our leadoff hitter leading the team in HRs?

Offline sportsfan882

There's Jose for ya.  First pitch swinging and he's out.  We fail again to get the runner in from third with less than two outs.  You need to get all the runs you can get against Dontrelle, they will be hard to come by.

gozimm

Oh boy :(

Offline JMW IV

oh, that's just GREAT.

Offline sportsfan882

O'Connor looks just like his last start.  Leaving his 88 mph fastball that high.. what an idiot

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
this crap has to be scripted...is this being produced by a boxing promoter?   :?

Home run by leadoff Marlin Ramirez...

Washington 1
Florida 1

Offline sportsfan882

Mike looks the same.  He can't find his release point and he the ball is going up because of that.

gozimm

Jeez, O'Conor is sucking