Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 61959 times)

Offline BerkeleyNat

Re: Skyrim Thread
« Reply #100: November 14, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I find myself doing that alot. Just standing on a cliff somewhere and taking in the sights.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #101: November 14, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
Awesome shot.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #102: November 14, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
I've seen a lot of people talking about how the graphics in Skyrim aren't as good as they could be, and they're correct (*coughcough* consoles*cough*) but what the game lacks in pure bling it sure makes up for with ambience and scale, especially when you realize that anywhere you can see, you can go:

reminds me of Myst back in the day (disclaimer, aside from sports games, and Diablo II in college, I haven't played games in a very long time)

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #103: November 14, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »
As stupid as this is, I can't help finding it hilarious:

LMFAO!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #104: November 14, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »
Yup.  That's a dragon there.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #105: November 14, 2011, 11:35:38 PM »
Beautiful scenery too.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #106: November 14, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #107: November 14, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
How do you take screenshots in steam?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #108: November 14, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »
How do you take screenshots in steam?

F12.  When you exit the game, you can select which to upload to steam cloud.  You get 1000MB of storage.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #109: November 14, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
Sweet, thanks Nathan. Definitely going to take some more screenshots now.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #110: November 15, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
This game reminds me alot of Morrowwind. The difficulty level is pretty high. Oblivion was actually kind of easy. There's lot of stuff in this one that can kill you..........quickly!

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #111: November 15, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
Funny, I think lockpicking in Skyrim is vastly improved over Oblivion's infuriating system.  It's basically just a matter of moving the pick around until you find the right spot, then holding A or D (or whatever the console equivalent buttons are) to open the lock.  until you find that sweet spot, just tap on A/D a little to "test" spots.

I've actually got the hang of the lockpicking now. I found this video on Youtube that is quite helpful. I've hardly had any trouble since.

(It's for the XBOX 360)

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #112: November 15, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
Lockpicking is cake. That video breaks it down fine, but the system was pretty easier to figure out.

The system is infinitely better than Oblivion. The lockpick system in Oblivion was infuriating.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #113: November 15, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
Lockpicking is cake. That video breaks it down fine, but the system was pretty easier to figure out.

The system is infinitely better than Oblivion. The lockpick system in Oblivion was infuriating.

tick...  tick....  tick...  tick...  one more to go...  CLANG!!!

:rant:

The relative scarcity of spells in Skyrim forces you to be at least somewhat more rounded.  Granted I haven't been to Winterhold yet as I've sort of been slowly expanding outward on the map, but I have yet to see any unlock spells.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #114: November 15, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
I really want this game. I'll probably end up getting it on the PS3, but a good friend of mine said he'd build me an excellent PC for about $600. So I might take him up on that. The one he uses he has about $1600 in... that thing is bad ass!! Solid state hard drive for his OS, Dual Layer BR burner, and some kind of quad core processor or another and something like 6 or 8 gigs of RAM. I think he said it'll handle up to 24 gigs of RAM but there's really no need for that much right now. I'm no computer geek, but that liquid cooled monster he has is amazing. If I clearly don't know what I'm talking about, please don't beat me up over it :D

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #115: November 15, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »

I was trying to move both devices at once for some reason and it was giving me fits. Now, I've got it figured out.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #116: November 15, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »
Sorry, wasn't trying to come across snarky.

Chief, I haven't seen unlock spells either. My character is basically a spell-sword at this point.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #117: November 15, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »

Chief, I haven't seen unlock spells either. My character is basically a spell-sword at this point.

If we're going by Oblivion's classes, I'd say my character is closest to a Battlemage.  Destruction, Single-handed weapons, and Conjuration are by far my most-used skills, with Alteration taking second place.  I have yet to find a weapon that is better than a bound sword once you factor in the conjuration perks, though obviously there are differences in the way blade, maces, axes, etc. handle and the various side-effects of their power attacks.  I've got my eye out for a bind mace spell.  In a typical fight, I just backpeddle and flamethrow and then power attack when they catch up with me.

If it's a mob, or I'm anticipating a mob, I'll try to use oak flesh and set a rune trap.  Summon Flame Atronach is also extremely handy.  Their aim is much better than mine :lol:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #118: November 15, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
Badass.

I haven't found any bound spells yet. :(

My guy is a Nord, and generally boring the heck out of me, so I'm going to join the Stormcloaks tonight and see what this civil war is like. I wonder if Imperials will know I'm a Stormcloak and hate me, etc.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #119: November 15, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »

No problem dude.   :)

I was actually agreeing with you. It is cake when you figure it out.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #120: November 15, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »
If we're going by Oblivion's classes, I'd say my character is closest to a Battlemage.  Destruction, Single-handed weapons, and Conjuration are by far my most-used skills, with Alteration taking second place.  I have yet to find a weapon that is better than a bound sword once you factor in the conjuration perks, though obviously there are differences in the way blade, maces, axes, etc. handle and the various side-effects of their power attacks.  I've got my eye out for a bind mace spell.  In a typical fight, I just backpeddle and flamethrow and then power attack when they catch up with me.

If it's a mob, or I'm anticipating a mob, I'll try to use oak flesh and set a rune trap.  Summon Flame Atronach is also extremely handy.  Their aim is much better than mine :lol:

I use a staff that causes 10 seconds of paralysis. I just paralyze the enemy and then flame the hell out of them. Rinse, repeat.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #121: November 15, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
I use a staff that causes 10 seconds of paralysis. I just paralyze the enemy and then flame the hell out of them. Rinse, repeat.

I found that staff. It's worth a fortune. Trying to decide whether to use it, disenchant it, or sell it.

Edit: It sounds like a perfect weapon for a Mage. Do you know where you got it? Would love to get it when I create a mage character.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #122: November 15, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
Badass.

I haven't found any bound spells yet. :(

The Jarl's Wizard in Dragonsreach (Farengar, I think?) has bound axe, but it's the two-handed variety (which works out well for a Nord).  I think my bound blade tome was a loot drop, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it for sale either in Dragonsreach or Riverwood, or possibly the general store in Whiterun.  Of course, I've noticed that the quality of items for sale seems to be level-related to some extent, so that might have something to do with it.  I'm currently level 15, but I do remember Farengar already having bound axe for sale when I first met him, which was much earlier on.

My guy is a Nord, and generally boring the heck out of me, so I'm going to join the Stormcloaks tonight and see what this civil war is like. I wonder if Imperials will know I'm a Stormcloak and hate me, etc.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races

According to that, your intial buffs are
+10 Two-handed
+5 Block, Light Armor, One-handed, Smithing, Speech

Not the best start for a caster, but it's not like the difference is insurmountable, esp. with trainers.  I have yet to find any magical trainers, but I would guess there are probably at least a few in Winterhold.  Really the impact of race selection seems more minimal than ever in Skyrim.  Every race gets +10 to one thing, and +5 to a smattering of other stuff.  The powers seem like the main differentiator.  Nord battlecry sounds kind of bleh...  Orc power sounds awesome.  I'm sad that they nerfed the Redguard power - it used to be fantastic for picking up extra stuff.

One thing I'm really loving is the ability to choose your sign with guardian stones and change it any time you want (providing you find the stones of course).

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #123: November 15, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I found that staff. It's worth a fortune. Trying to decide whether to use it, disenchant it, or sell it.

Edit: It sounds like a perfect weapon for a Mage. Do you know where you got it? Would love to get it when I create a mage character.

Unfortunately...no. I'm pretty sure I got in one of the caves that I plundered, but I'm have no idea which one. That thing works wonders on Trolls. I kill them without any problem.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #124: November 15, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »

Wow.  That's quite an item.  I don't think I ever saw a paralysis effect that lasted longer than 3 seconds in Oblivion, and it was extremely difficult to even get those.

I'd keep it.  From what I've seen so far, getting any worthwhile use out of enchanting requires a very high enchanting skill, and filling soul gems to recharge staves is relatively easy.  Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that paralysis enchantments won't be useable on melee weapons or bows.

If I found that staff, the "bind soul on bound weapons" perk would become very convenient...