Author Topic: Dibble apologizes  (Read 15298 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Dibble apologizes
« Topic Start: August 15, 2010, 10:59:58 PM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/dibble-apologizes-for-comments-about-female-fans.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last week, former pitcher and current Washington Nationals broadcaster Rob Dibble caused a little stir when he made some degrading comments on the air about a couple of female fans, wondering why they wouldn't stop talking, how they must be embarrassing their husbands, and theorizing that "there must be a sale tomorrow."
Now he would like to apologize:
The other night I made an off-handed comment, the meaning of which may have been misconstrued beyond what was said. If any fan of this great game took offense, then he or she should know that this was neither my intention nor my history in the game.
I have had the privilege of knowing a great many fans of all backgrounds who are students of the game. Many of baseball's most insightful fans, television viewers, and callers to my radio show are women.
OK so maybe that's not technically an apology, more of an explanation/defense. To Dibble's credit, he did come back with a "humble and sincere apology" on Sunday. Much better.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take Mr. Dibble shopping. Maybe we can talk some baseball.

Political correctness at his finest, the two women were chatting and paying no attention to the game.  Dibble was just having some fun at their expense.  It's crazy that he had to apologize for this.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Dibble apologizes
« Reply #1: August 15, 2010, 11:07:32 PM »
Dibble being Dibble as far as I'm concerned. He's a hilarious, passionate goon and he's very entertaining.
Keith Hernandez went apecrap when a female trainer was in the dugout, now that was offensive and rude.

« Reply #2: August 15, 2010, 11:11:50 PM »
^ actually im glad we got him , and replace that other dude

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: August 15, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
^ actually im glad we got him , and replace that other dude

they had the Bonds HR record game tonight on MASN with Don Sutton on color.  All one has to do to appreciate Dibble is listen to Sutton (or Ron Darling) in the same role.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #4: August 15, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »
By the way, I almost busted a gut watching Dibble jump on the wall.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #5: August 15, 2010, 11:21:58 PM »
He should know better.  I mean he MC'd NATS U which was all women.

He can be rude at times.  At the Season ticket holder picnic, he was the 3rd or 4th person at the table signing autographs.  He was on his cell phone the whole time.  You would think for the 1/2 hour he was there, he could have stayed off his cell and given the fan he's signing for some acknowledgement.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: August 15, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »
He should know better.  I mean he MC'd NATS U which was all women.

He can be rude at times.  At the Season ticket holder picnic, he was the 3rd or 4th person at the table signing autographs.  He was on his cell phone the whole time.  You would think for the 1/2 hour he was there, he could have stayed off his cell and given the fan he's signing for some acknowledgement.

Ok this is garbage then. He can talk on the phone whenever he wants but not paying fans? I take it back, it was a jerky thing to say.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #7: August 16, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
The woman who does CamdenChat has really been laying into Dibble. I don't know anything about her, and I don't care about the Orioles but they linked this on Federal Baseball. I've never met an O's fan who likes Dibble, though.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2010/8/12/1619709/rob-dibble-and-the-female-baseball
http://www.camdenchat.com/2010/8/15/1624219/rob-dibbles-apology-via-his-masn#storyjump

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #8: August 16, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »
Ok this is garbage then. He can talk on the phone whenever he wants but not paying fans? I take it back, it was a jerky thing to say.

Why, maybe there was a sale on tattoos.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #9: August 16, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »
Pretty crazy stories coming out of the woodwork on Dibble now. I still like like him though; he is not dull.

I do wonder why he threw balls around like he did thoiugh.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: August 16, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »
Nothing?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: August 16, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »
Why, maybe there was a sale on tattoos.

Win
Sale tattoo:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #12: August 16, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »
Pretty crazy stories coming out of the woodwork on Dibble now. I still like like him though; he is not dull.

I do wonder what why he threw balls around like he did thoiugh.

:lmao:

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #13: August 16, 2010, 01:33:54 PM »
     Rob Dibble was part of the "nasty boys" - What? do you think he was just crazy and outspoken on the playing field? What? do you think he was a "normal" person? You're dealing with a different breed of cat -I see nothing offensive in what he said about the women, (believe me I have heard many coversations like that sitting in my seats),
     WHAT? do you think Rob Dibble should be all sensitive and touchy feely about people's feelings - give me a break - he is, what he is -and most people like him or hate him. Enjoy his brashness and bluntness, and know he will make comments that offend people -as I said, he is -what he is.......and I for one, like it -raw, honest, brash, and humorous...... :dibbs:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #14: August 16, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
People who pay $350 each to prattle away for hours on end while being shown almost continuously on live TV are a special breed  :lol: 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: August 16, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »
Who in the hell is Roy Dibble?

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #16: August 16, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »
People who pay $350 each to prattle away for hours on end while being shown almost continuously on live TV are a special breed  :lol:  
                   thank you -----double entrendre..........(No, I don't sit in front of the cameras ......yuck)

(I know -spelling, spelling, spelling...where is the spelling nazi when you need him.... oh yea -swimming in soup...... :lmao:)  

( I doubt if those people paid $350 - not if you are neigbors of Stan Kasten or you are Ted Leonsis.......I'm just saying.....)

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #17: August 16, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
Who in the hell is Roy Dibble?
                    The brother of Rob........ :crackup:   I know, I know - I went back and corrected it......good catch  :mg:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #18: August 16, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
    I see nothing offensive in what he said about the women, (believe me I have heard many coversations like that sitting in my seats),
     :
It doesn't matter what you and I think. A certain segment of the viewership found it offensive and that's enough for him to apologize.

Like it or not, announcers are held to a different standard. What you and I might say in our seats is not being broadcast to millions. It was just a dumb thing for a public person to say.

BTW, he is not incredibly inciteful as an announcer. He was not known as a very bright guy when he pitched and it seems like that was fairly accurate. His lone insight is basically "Throw More Fastballs and Strikes."

And on top of it, Dibble is a b*tthole. I had my 12 year old son and his friend with me one time at the stadium and we ran into him in the concourse after a game. They asked him for his autograph and he didn't even slow down. Simply said "Sorry, guys" and kept going. OK, maybe he was in a hurry but take 30 seconds.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #19: August 16, 2010, 03:48:34 PM »
And on top of it, Dibble is a b*tthole. I had my 12 year old son and his friend with me one time at the stadium and we ran into him in the concourse after a game. They asked him for his autograph and he didn't even slow down. Simply said "Sorry, guys" and kept going. OK, maybe he was in a hurry but take 30 seconds.

Dibble may be alittle over the top on the air but I enjoy it. I just hope this mess doesn't interfere with his usual persona.

As for the autograph, that stinks too but I'm one of those people that think that athletes/stars/whoever don't need to give autographs, given certain situations like he may have been in. I mean if they aren't busy and just relaxing, sitting in a chair, then ya, I think he should give one. But walking on the concourse and asking for an autograph while he may have been busy doesn't seem like an appropriate time and may have warranted the response. Just my two cents.

Offline RL04

« Reply #20: August 16, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »

That is very rude.

If I was there and he did that, I would have told him to put the f---in' phone down.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #21: August 16, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
Dibble may be alittle over the top on the air but I enjoy it. I just hope this mess doesn't interfere with his usual persona.

As for the autograph, that stinks too but I'm one of those people that think that athletes/stars/whoever don't need to give autographs, given certain situations like he may have been in. I mean if they aren't busy and just relaxing, sitting in a chair, then ya, I think he should give one. But walking on the concourse and asking for an autograph while he may have been busy doesn't seem like an appropriate time and may have warranted the response. Just my two cents.
Yeah, you are probably right about the signing. Maybe I just have a sof spot for kids. And I guess he doesn't.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #22: August 16, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
Yeah, you are probably right about the signing. Maybe I just have a sof spot for kids. And I guess he doesn't.

I mean kids should always get a treat like that that but if he declined due to being busy than the attitude directed towards him doesn't seem warranted since he may have been in a rush. That's just how I feel :D

That is very rude.

If I was there and he did that, I would have told him to put the f---in' phone down.

Agreed. He's at a fan "thing" and he doesn't even engage with the fans? That's messed up. Another note: Would you have actually told him to the put the phone down. :lol:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #23: August 16, 2010, 04:01:46 PM »
Latest mud slinging includes Charlie Sheen hooker parties. (If you believe Deadspin and FHM...)

"During our championship season in 1990, Charlie Sheen threw us a couple of parties at his Malibu house. He spent over $50,000 - all of it on strippers, hookers and pictures stars. For one party, he sent limos to pick us up from Dodger Stadium. I actually blew the save that night. I like having fun, but this was a freak show. I saw one of my fat, ugly teammates having sex with this beautiful pictures star in a Jacuzzi.

http://deadspin.com/126813/were-assuming-lou-pinella-stayed-home

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #24: August 16, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »

That is very rude.

It may have been rude if the event was "tea, crumpets and conversation with Rob Dibble" but it sounds like the requirement was to sign autographs. He gave the people what they were after, a stupid freaking autograph.