Author Topic: OOTP: Out of the Park Baseball  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: OOTP: Out of the Park Baseball
« Reply #25: March 17, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »
The problem with OOTP aging curves are that they are very severe. There's no gradual decline from All-Star to good player to average to bad... it goes from All-Star level to bad overnight. So be mindful of that.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #26: March 17, 2011, 04:08:39 PM »
Is the new version out yet?  I have still yet to try this game out, and since I think I'm going to skip The Show and 2k11, maybe I should buy this instead.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #27: March 17, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »
The new version is not out yet. I'm not sure how close it is though either.

The problem with OOTP aging curves are that they are very severe. There's no gradual decline from All-Star to good player to average to bad... it goes from All-Star level to bad overnight. So be mindful of that.

You know you can tweak that if you want, right?

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp11/index.php?page=game_options#player_options

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: March 17, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »
Sure... but even with tweaking I can never get it just how I like it.

Oh well. Still a fantastic game.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #29: March 17, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
Wait, isn't one of the early versions free?  I don't see it on the site now.  I don't want to pay for 11 when 12 is coming out soon.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #30: March 17, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
Wait, isn't one of the early versions free?  I don't see it on the site now.  I don't want to pay for 11 when 12 is coming out soon.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp8/

The newer versions are a lot better.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #32: January 26, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
I got OOTP 12 a couple weeks ago, but I can't quite figure out the scouting.  It seems like other teams are always discovering dudes from other countries, but my own guy never comes up with anything useful.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #33: January 26, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
I got OOTP 12 a couple weeks ago, but I can't quite figure out the scouting.  It seems like other teams are always discovering dudes from other countries, but my own guy never comes up with anything useful.

Do you have money in your international scouting budget?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #34: January 26, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
Do you have money in your international scouting budget?

Yeah, I bumped up the amateur scouting quite a bit last season (I think to 70%)  but I haven't seen any results yet.  What happens, do they randomly send you some message saying they discovered some kid in [insert country]?  What kind of budget should have to get better results?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #35: January 26, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
Yeah, I bumped up the amateur scouting quite a bit last season (I think to 70%)  but I haven't seen any results yet.  What happens, do they randomly send you some message saying they discovered some kid in [insert country]?  What kind of budget should have to get better results?

There's 4 categories for scouting

Majors
Minors
Amateur
International

If you want guys to be discovered in other countries, you have to have some money placed in the international category.

And yes, I believe you'll get an email saying they found a player and ask if you're interested in signing him.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #36: January 26, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
Yeah, I bumped up the amateur scouting quite a bit last season (I think to 70%)  but I haven't seen any results yet.

Amateur scouting effects the accuracy of your draft scouting. For international scouting, you need to adjust the International Scouting % and make sure "hidden players" is enabled in the options.

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/index.php?man=ootp12&page=international_scouting

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #37: January 26, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
They changed international scouting in OOTP 12. You have to go in and manually select the countries you want to scout. So go in, invest in all the countries where talent normally turns up.

When OOTP 12 was released, major international signings happened too frequently. One of the patches fixed it. My OOTP league has some absolute studs that got signed internationally, including my starting CF and RF. The best hitter in the league was an international signing by Seattle.

So, it's possible the CPU made some great signings before you patched.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #38: January 26, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
I won the WS a couple months ago and haven't played OOTP since. I have a core in place for the Nats that's young and can win for several years. Luckily, with OOTP, the best paper team doesn't always win... but I still haven't had the itch to play knowing that my team is in place. I should bang out another season before OOTP 13 drops.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #39: January 26, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
Thanks for the info, I've been going about this scouting thing all wrong.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #40: January 26, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »
Some screens of my squad, because OOTP stories are fun.

Harper is too good. I didn't modify him or anything.  :az:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: January 26, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
Thanks for the info, I've been going about this scouting thing all wrong.

check your GM too, certain ones have much better scouting strengh. I eventually started winning when I fired everyone and just paid minor and major league coaches like they were players (i.e. $1+ for a AAA pitching coach)- at that point everyone seemed to start hitting their potential

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #42: January 26, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
check your GM too, certain ones have much better scouting strengh. I eventually started winning when I fired everyone and just paid minor and major league coaches like they were players (i.e. $1+ for a AAA pitching coach)- at that point everyone seemed to start hitting their potential

Yeah, best investment I've made is with a top of the line Scouting Director.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #43: January 26, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
Holy jesus, Kevrock, Harper's 2017 season :az:

I seem to get a lot of useless international scouting info. My scouting director will send me an email saying something like, "I just got back from Namibia. I found a guy with a potential of zero." This is OOTP 11 though so maybe it's gotten better, but the problem with international scouting in 11 is the kids they find always seem worthless. Maybe my scouting director is a really terrible judge of potential?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: January 26, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »

I seem to get a lot of useless international scouting info. My scouting director will send me an email saying something like, "I just got back from Namibia. I found a guy with a potential of zero." This is OOTP 11 though so maybe it's gotten better, but the problem with international scouting in 11 is the kids they find always seem worthless. Maybe my scouting director is a really terrible judge of potential?

What does he like?

Tools or Ability?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: January 26, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »

I simmed for years without signing anyone my director found, and keeping the funding very high, then one year he found a guy who was immediately an all star 2b, so there is a high degree of random and a lot of useless fodder- my only problem with the 'amateur' aspect fo the game is the drop off in talent after the first few picks of the draft every year

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #46: January 26, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Yeah, the draft talent drop off doesn't make much sense. I'd love them to overhaul the amateur scouting.

It sounds like they did a little bit:
Improved pitcher creation & development. OOTP 13 creates fewer pure relievers for the draft. More pitchers are generated with the potential to become starters. Not all pitchers will capitalize on their potential, though; failure to develop an off-speed pitch or build stamina may necessitate a move to the pen.

I'm most excited for the overhauled AI... I hope it improves trade logic.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #47: January 26, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Yeah, the draft talent drop off doesn't make much sense. I'd love them to overhaul the amateur scouting.

It sounds like they did a little bit:
I'm most excited for the overhauled AI... I hope it improves trade logic.

That sounds like a HUGE improvement. I used to get really peeved that, even when I was in the first round, all the remaining draft picks had potential ratings of 1 star. I just didn't understand what the point of drafting was at that point. And about half the pitchers were pure relievers - the first time I got a top-10 pick, I drafted a pure reliever because he was the only decent pitching talent in the draft. He's turned into a pretty solid setup guy, and his stamina's 13 so I could try stretching him out, I guess.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #48: January 26, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
If you don't like the depth, add more players ("Generate Players for X Rounds" setting) but keep the number of rounds the same.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #49: January 26, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »
Sure, but the rating system is still strange. There should be more than one round of players with potential higher than one star. I find hidden gems, but it doesn't make sense that scouting directors would view 99% of the players as having a ceiling of AA, right? It makes it seem like drafting after the 2nd round is useless, when it is not.

All that aside, the safest way to draft is based on stats, I believe.