Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 122793 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Of course seven years was possible, if we had offered the same total contract with two fewer years then Fielder would be a Nat right now.  It was the money, not the years, that made the deal.

Declarative absolutes based on pure speculation

Offline DPMOmaha

Of course seven years was possible, if we had offered the same total contract with two fewer years then Fielder would be a Nat right now.  It was the money, not the years, that made the deal.

I'm not so sure.  I think it was the money AND the years.  Length of a contract seems to be just as big a deal in these deals as the dollar figure is much of the time.  Seems like we heard a lot more about the length of the contract in negotiations more so than dollar figure.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
So, if there truly was no interest in Fielder, what has Rizzo been doing all this time? Sitting on his ass?

Scouting talent to take advantage of another top 10 draft pick in 2013.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
As I said earlier... six years into the reign of the Lerners, and we're still debating LAC?

Their shills are die hard disciples.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I'm not so sure.  I think it was the money AND the years.  Length of a contract seems to be just as big a deal in these deals as the dollar figure is much of the time.  Seems like we heard a lot more about the length of the contract in negotiations more so than dollar figure.

Once the total dollar value is set the longer the term the better for the team.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Declarative absolutes based on pure speculation

Let me make this simple for you, if I offered you $10 million for ten years or $10 million for eight years to do the same job, which offer would you choose.

Offline DPMOmaha

So, if there truly was no interest in Fielder, what has Rizzo been doing all this time? Sitting on his ass?

IDK.  Trying to quell rumors when no one would actually believe they weren't actually in on Prince.  He seemed to have slimmed down a bit at the winter meetings.  Maybe he was trying to get a little beefier himself.  Is he married?  Maybe he was trying to find a lady friend.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Which would be consistent with what Rizzo's been saying the whole time.

Cover your ass by saying you're not interested yet still benefit from the reports that say otherwise to make people think you're willing to spend money.

Offline DPMOmaha

Once the total dollar value is set the longer the term the better for the team.

When was the dollar value ever set?  Is a 9 year deal at what they're paying him really good for the Tigers?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Let me make this simple for you, if I offered you $10 million for ten years or $10 million for eight years to do the same job, which offer would you choose.

I'm so sick of your condescending bullcrap

You have absolutely no idea what was offered and what was going get a deal done or not. NONE.

Your mindfacting does not impress me

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I'm so sick of your condescending bullcrap

You have absolutely no idea what was offered and what was going get a deal done or not. NONE.

Your mindfacting does not impress me

Maybe you should 'ignore' him as well.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
When was the dollar value ever set?

The term was of course a variable during negotiations, my point is that a number of posters are getting overly hung up on the number of years on the contract when that is actually a plus for the Tigers if it works out that he continues to be productive into his mid-thirties.

Offline DPMOmaha

The term was of course a variable during negotiations, my point is that a number of posters are getting overly hung up on the number of years on the contract when that is actually a plus for the Tigers if it works out that he continues to be productive into his mid-thirties.

Sure, but it's easier to mitigate that risk in the AL and protect that investment because if it doesn't work out it's a pretty heavy anchor to be carrying on your payroll, something which was much more likely to happen if he ended up here for 9 years because he can't be moved to the bench in 4-5 years. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Sure, but it's easier to mitigate that risk in the AL and protect that investment because if it doesn't work out it's a pretty heavy anchor to be carrying on your payroll, something which was much more likely to happen if he ended up here for 9 years because he can't be moved to the bench in 4-5 years. 

Hard to predict what the next couple half decades will bring, but I suspect that Fielder will be playing 1st base long after the Farce III and IV have come and gone.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Time to face the facts.

They're Cheap. simple as that.

and in discussing any potential moves and signings, we should all keep the fact that the Lerners Are Cheap in mind when considering what the team can do.

I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is, I guess.

Offline DPMOmaha

True, but it's also understandable why the Nats wouldn't want to go to the extent the Tigers did.

Offline sportsfan882

True, but it's also understandable why the Nats wouldn't want to go to the extent the Tigers did.
So you agree that the Lerners are cheap?

Offline DPMOmaha

So you agree that the Lerners are cheap?

I don't know, I don't really care, to be honest.  Cheap and making stupid decisions with their money are two different things.  I would have loved to seen Prince here, but I wouldn't have made that move either at that price tag.  I want to know what the deal was the Nats had on the table.  If that makes them cheap, then so be it.  There are areas and times when I would have done things differently with this ball club, but this isn't one of them.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Please explain them not making a play for Reyes.

Offline DPMOmaha

Please explain them not making a play for Reyes.

I can't.  That's one of the things I would have done differently, as referenced in my previous post.  That or made an aggressive play for Bourn last year when he was on the table.

Online HalfSmokes

Fine but what have they done this offseason to improve the 24th offense? The fins added Reyes, so they are probably out of the 20s- what did Rizzo do other than hoping for a mythical lead off CF (kind of like the one the astros traded for scraps last season)

Offline sportsfan882

I don't know, I don't really care, to be honest.  Cheap and making stupid decisions with their money are two different things.  I would have loved to seen Prince here, but I wouldn't have made that move either at that price tag.  I want to know what the deal was the Nats had on the table.  If that makes them cheap, then so be it.  There are areas and times when I would have done things differently with this ball club, but this isn't one of them.
So you don't have a problem with the ownership being cheap when everyone knows how flush they are with cash and how low the Nats are in League payroll?

Offline DPMOmaha

Fine but what have they done this offseason to improve the 24th offense? The fins added Reyes, so they are probably out of the 20s- what did Rizzo do other than hoping for a mythical lead off CF (kind of like the one the astros traded for scraps last season)

I've been pretty consistent in my stance that adding a guy like Prince is not where the Nats need to focus their offensive patches.  They needed to do that at the top of the lineup.  There was really only one guy out there that fit that bill and he's at a position where they seem to like what they already have.  So, that means that they need to either make a trade, which it seems they could have done at the deadline last year,  or wait til next year which will piss everyone off, like it's doing right now.  Prince would have been a nice toy to have in the middle of the lineup but he wasn't a necessity.  Felt that way since day one, my feelings haven't changed today.  The offense needs work, certainly, but a power bat isn't where the water is leaking.

Offline DPMOmaha

So you don't have a problem with the ownership being cheap when everyone knows how flush they are with cash and how low the Nats are in League payroll?

If you want to read it that way, feel free.  In this instance, I have no problem with the move not being made.  That's not the case in other areas.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I can't.  That's one of the things I would have done differently, as referenced in my previous post.  That or made an aggressive play for Bourn last year when he was on the table.

They could have probably have gotten Bourn for what they traded to get Gio.  Passing on Reyes was idiotic.  That they are probably banking on Harper being a stud out of the gate, no one getting injured, and whatever subpar platoon/AAAA CFer speaks to the cluelessness of this team.