Author Topic: Hagerstown Suns on the move?  (Read 24276 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Hagerstown Suns on the move?
« Reply #75: February 09, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
It won't bother me one way or the other as Winchester and Hagerstown are pretty much the same distance from here or at least pretty damn close.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #76: February 10, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
please stay in hagerstown.

Online RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #77: February 10, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »
It looks pretty official now:  http://your4state.com/fulltext?nxd_id=236572

"WINCHESTER, VA.- The Hagerstown Suns are planning to move to a proposed sports complex in Winchester, Va. starting with the 2013 baseball season, according to a letter of intent and a proposed lease agreement obtained by WHAG..."

Offline Keenan

« Reply #78: February 10, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
Things are pretty close, but still not a "done deal". The Winchester City Council will take a vote on Tuesday to transfer just under 8 acres of land in Jim Barnett Park over to the Winchester Economic Development Authority. The EDA is a division of the Winchester City government. If the land transfer vote is approved by City Council, the remaining hurdle will be for the EDA to secure financing for the stadium. If all of Winchester's ducks are lined up by April 17th then the Hagerstown Suns are obligated to move to Winchester and would start playing there in 2013.

Winchester is looking at building a 4,000 seat capacity stadium designed by HKS that would have an additional 1,000 seats on a grassy bank in the outfield. There will be no fewer than 10 suites and party decks down both the 1B and 3B lines. The stadium will also have a Club featuring a full restaurant with bar and seating for 200. The head of the EDA mentioned they would be shooting for Silver LEED certification including a solar powered mister to cool fans off in the summertime. Winchester will be footing the bill for $1.5 million LED video board and ribbons. The stadium would be built right next to I-81 where passers by could look right in at home plate providing high visibility. Concert seating would increase the capacity to 8,000.

Just a few little nuggets of information I have learned in recent days.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #79: February 10, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
Somehow being right next to 81 doesn't strike me as appealing.  Couldn't they find a site at the end of a busy airport runway?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #80: February 11, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »
The stadium would be built right next to I-81 where passers by could look right in at home plate providing high visibility.

sounds safe

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #81: February 11, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »
Won't be any rubber necking at all. :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #82: February 11, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »
Winchester is looking at building a 4,000 seat capacity stadium designed by HKS that would have an additional 1,000 seats on a grassy bank in the outfield.
With a grassy knoll in the outfield, I'm guessing they will not have a racing JFK as a mascot.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #83: February 11, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
With a grassy knoll in the outfield, I'm guessing they will not have a racing JFK as a mascot.

Put him in a convertable, give kids paint ball guns on the knoll- sounds like a great promotion

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #84: February 11, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
Things are pretty close, but still not a "done deal". The Winchester City Council will take a vote on Tuesday to transfer just under 8 acres of land in Jim Barnett Park over to the Winchester Economic Development Authority. The EDA is a division of the Winchester City government. If the land transfer vote is approved by City Council, the remaining hurdle will be for the EDA to secure financing for the stadium. If all of Winchester's ducks are lined up by April 17th then the Hagerstown Suns are obligated to move to Winchester and would start playing there in 2013.

Winchester is looking at building a 4,000 seat capacity stadium designed by HKS that would have an additional 1,000 seats on a grassy bank in the outfield. There will be no fewer than 10 suites and party decks down both the 1B and 3B lines. The stadium will also have a Club featuring a full restaurant with bar and seating for 200. The head of the EDA mentioned they would be shooting for Silver LEED certification including a solar powered mister to cool fans off in the summertime. Winchester will be footing the bill for $1.5 million LED video board and ribbons. The stadium would be built right next to I-81 where passers by could look right in at home plate providing high visibility. Concert seating would increase the capacity to 8,000.

Just a few little nuggets of information I have learned in recent days.

Where are they going to play at while the stadium is being built?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #85: February 12, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »
Where are they going to play at while the stadium is being built?

The Hagerstown Suns will play in Hagerstown this season and the new ballpark in Winchester would be built in 10 months making it available to move in on Jan.'13. The first pitch of '13 season would be in Winchester's new stadium under the proposal. There would be no need for an interim facility.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #86: February 13, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »
The Hagerstown Suns will play in Hagerstown this season and the new ballpark in Winchester would be built in 10 months making it available to move in on Jan.'13. The first pitch of '13 season would be in Winchester's new stadium under the proposal. There would be no need for an interim facility.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #87: February 13, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
this blows.  no nats minor league affiliates in MD.  that's BS.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #88: February 13, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
this blows.  no nats minor league affiliates in MD.  that's BS.

Orioles country.   Even some of the Nats' Md area fans are suspect. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #89: February 13, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
I wonder if there is gentleman's agreement with Angelos

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #90: February 13, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »

the whole state?  well we have a team in new york, oh wait that's right - two teams in new york.  we have one in PA. 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #91: February 13, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »

:razz:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #92: February 13, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »
:razz:

I said some...

:roll:

I'll let Spider fill you in.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #93: February 13, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
tomterp is referring to me.  we all know i want the orioles to sweep the nats twice this year and for the nats to lose 100 games and the o's to make the playoffs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #94: February 13, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
tomterp is referring to me.  we all know i want the orioles to sweep the nats twice this year and for the nats to lose 100 games and the o's to make the playoffs.

Exactly.  You are probably the most dedicated spy ever, at least since that Zimmm guy went away.  It must be torture to spend so much time on here when you could be talking about Brian Roberts' socks on the O's board.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #95: February 13, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
Exactly.  You are probably the most dedicated spy ever, at least since that Zimmm guy went away.  It must be torture to spend so much time on here when you could be talking about Brian Roberts' socks on the O's board.

i do of course.  in fact most of the time i employ one of my bots to come on here and post LAC and try and get the nats fan base to join the o's. 

it's a brilliant plan!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #96: February 13, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
i do of course.  in fact most of the time i employ one of my bots to come on here and post LAC and try and get the nats fan base to join the o's. 

it's a brilliant plan!

Brilliant?   I'd say  :devil:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #97: February 15, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Suns owner explains that MLB forced his move due to stadium conditions as Hagerstown.

http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-suns-majority-owner-said-letter-from-mlb-and-washington-nationals-forced-search-for-new-home-20120214,0,5997244.story

Is Art Silber listening?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #98: February 15, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
Surprised Potomac hasn't gotten the same letter from MLB/Nats.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #99: February 15, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
Surprised Potomac hasn't gotten the same letter from MLB/Nats.

they did last year, and the Nats pulled games from the stadium over the crappy field conditions.  I think the story posted here was that the P-Nats took a cheaper than recommended route in upgrading the drainage system and it failed.

They were forced to double the size of the club-houses as well, they completed the home team clubhouse early last season and were supposed to be working on the visitor club-house this off-season.  They also replaced the grass this winter.  Still, the park is a dump compared to most others, especially if you sit in the bleachers.