Author Topic: NCAA Baseball Playoffs  (Read 2144 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: NCAA Baseball Playoffs
« Reply #50: June 21, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »
Thanks man.  It's not a big deal either way.  I don't remember it being so difficult to find reasonable non-GA tickets in the past.  Maybe I've just been lucky.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #51: June 21, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
Looks like the cinderella run is going to come to an end for Kent State today. I know it's only like the 4th inning and they're only down 4-1....but I just don't see them coming back against South Carolina pitching.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #52: June 21, 2012, 01:11:25 PM »
Arkansas seems to be the local darling this year.  Kent St. is the one ESPN is pushing.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #53: June 22, 2012, 02:02:49 AM »
South Carolina has won too many times in a row (yeah, yeah UCLA) and having such a loud fan base doesn't help their cause. Granted I was right next to them tonight. Still I can't stand the state of Arkansas but I was rooting for their baseball team tonight.

Offline madj55

« Reply #54: June 24, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
If Arizona doesn't win tonight it's series over for them in my opinion.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #55: June 24, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
If Arizona doesn't win tonight it's series over for them in my opinion.

Agreed. It's just brutal watching SC win this, because they think it's the equivalent of a football championship. While it would be EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE for them to win 3 straight titles, it still doesn't erase the fact that 95 percent of this country has no idea it's even going on, or cares about it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #56: June 24, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
Who cares how they think about it or if anyone else cares?  It's their thing, they've embraced it, it's a big deal there and in their conference and right now they're the best.  If Nebraska was in this thing, you better bet your bottom dollar I'd be acting the same way.  I say let them treat it like football if they want to treat it like football.  No one else has to, but I think it's fine if they do.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #57: June 24, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
What DPM said.

I wish ESPN would show more college baseball. It's a great sport and they should be excited with what they're doing in SC.

Offline madj55

« Reply #58: June 24, 2012, 02:52:43 PM »
College baseball is HUGE in the SEC, and I feel like it's starting to pick up in other places as well with more teams from conferences not known for baseball making trips to Omaha this year.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #59: June 24, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
I refuse to acknowledge the CWS.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #60: June 24, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
why?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #61: June 24, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #62: June 24, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
Oh.  Yeah, that was bad...

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #63: June 24, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »
College baseball is HUGE in the SEC, and I feel like it's starting to pick up in other places as well with more teams from conferences not known for baseball making trips to Omaha this year.

I know it is. I go to Kentucky, and we had a very respectable team this year (lost in regionals to Kent State) and I agree I LOVE college baseball. I'm just saying it kind of bugs me how Carolina fans try act like it is a bigger deal than it is. But I do understand where you guys are coming from.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #64: June 24, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »
I didn't mean to sound condescending with the "Carolina fans try to act like it is a bigger deal than it is" comment. It's just that South Carolina fans are some of the most obnoxious in the SEC, and aren't really all that cordial.

I love College Baseball, and the CWS, but I recognize that nationally it is not in the same stature as College Football or College Basketball. That's all I was trying to say.

Offline madj55

« Reply #65: June 24, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
My former teammate Evan Beal is pitching for the gamecocks

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #66: June 24, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »
My former teammate Evan Beal is pitching for the gamecocks

That's pretty cool. The starting SS for South Carolina is one of my buddies from back home..Joey Pankake. Representing Easley, SC! We also have a kid from my town playing for the Rome Braves, and then one who is in instructional league ball with the Phillies. Nice little baseball town.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #67: June 24, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
That was a pretty dominant effort from Arizona. 

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #68: June 24, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »
That was a pretty dominant effort from Arizona. 

I'd say so. Really impressed with their right fielder (Robert Refsnyder). 5th round pick by the Yankees. Has a gun in RF, and a great bat. The pitcher for Arizona was on point as well.

One of South Carolina's big problems this CWS has been leadoff man Pankake not setting the table. That kills me to say because he's from my hometown, and only a year younger than me, but he only has 3 hits in 20+ at bats. That's been tough for SC.

However I've learned that you can NEVER count them out. NEVER. I wouldn't be shocked if they still won their 3rd title in a row. Starting Michael Roth tomorrow. Should be a good one.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #69: June 24, 2012, 11:29:07 PM »
That throw by the RF was spectacular.

Roth is going in pretty short rest.  Has a chance to cement his legacy tomorrow.  Carolina needs to get to Arizona's pen.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #70: June 24, 2012, 11:33:39 PM »
That throw by the RF was spectacular.

Roth is going in pretty short rest.  Has a chance to cement his legacy tomorrow.  Carolina needs to get to Arizona's pen.

I kind of think his legacy is already cemented regardless of what happens. However I agree. The thing is South Carolina just really isn't that good of a hitting team, especially right now. I see Arizona winning this based on the fact that they can actually score runs. But we'll see. Like I said I would not be shocked at all if USC wins it.

Offline madj55

« Reply #71: June 24, 2012, 11:47:32 PM »
Man I'm used to see Evan pump his fastball at 90-92 and he was sitting 86-90 all night. He gave up a couple of hard hit balls but overall pitched pretty well. It's awesome that you're friends with Pankake though because him and Evan and Tanner English all lived in the same suite this year and they're cool dudes apparently. But I've been extremely disappointed with Carolinas hitting all post-season. The only one really putting good swings on the ball is Dantzler and everything is dying in the gaps for him. Arizona's starter was absolutely dominant tonight though. And their right fielder is a beast.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #72: June 25, 2012, 01:20:37 AM »
Yeah I mean South Carolina is set for the next few years regardless. Tanner has built them into a perennial winner. Losing Roth will hurt a lot and guys like Christian Walker as well. They'll be fine in the long run though I think.

Game 2 is tomorrow right?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #73: June 25, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »
All this talk about football reminded me, people doing "The Wave" got on my nerves. Annoying enough in a football stadium. Sit your ass down, I came to watch baseball.

The beach ball flurry was humorous but could see it getting tiresome as an everday gag.

Offline madj55

« Reply #74: June 25, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »
Yep, game two is tonight