Author Topic: Security and using WNFF  (Read 428 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Security and using WNFF
« Topic Start: October 30, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
I came across an interesting article in PC magazine on the information people post on social networking sites and the way the information can be used for bad purposes.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409350,00.asp

I know we often share some personal details on this site similar to the ones that this article mentions.  Occasionally, people's real names slip through posts, especially when we know each other.  I'm guessing it is not too hard for anyone to figure out what neighborhood I live in, both due to my name and my frequent posts about a neighborhood bar and other shops here.  You might even have figured out where I work due to an occasional mention of geography and other references to my employer or area of work expertise.   My user ID was set up so long ago on the WaPo website that I am not even sure there were facebook and twitter at the time, and I just carried it over here (watch that detail be used to now link posts there to here). 

I'm wondering if we should at least have some sort of posting tips thread here.  Also, could we come up with a check list of "before you pick a user ID, think about" list of suggestions, like "avoid using a neighborhood," "don't use you name as part of your ID," "if you give a date of birth, be sure your passwords aren't based off it," etc...

thoughts?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: Security and using WNFF
« Reply #1: October 30, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
The first step of this wikihow pretty much describes what you're worried about: http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Safe-and-Smart-on-the-Internet

Never Give Out Personal Information on the Internet. Giving away personal information on the internet is like giving away your life. When people are on social networks (Facebook, Myspace, Hi5 etc.), they don't realize that they're sharing too much information. There are many ways how the personal information you shared can get your life in danger.

• Password hackers can look at your social network profile, website or even a forum and guess your password by looking at your personal information.
  • Don't give out your location, phone number, full name and birth date on the internet. It could attract hackers and people who might want to harm you.
  • Don't put a picture of you as a profile picture on social networks. Put a picture of something that you love. If someone who has a evil goal comes across your picture, there is a good chance that he/she can locate and harm you.
  • Don't share your bank account number, credit card number and your social security number on the internet. Keep them to yourself and only use it if you're shopping on the internet.
  • Don't share your bank account number, credit card number and your social security number on the internet. Keep them to yourself and only use it if you're shopping on the internet.
  • Only share your card numbers if you're shopping online at a highly rated business website.

Basically, be careful about what info you give out, even through PM, and you should definitely encourage people to create passwords that don't pertain to their personal information.

As for good password recommendations: http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/passwords-create.aspx

Cyber criminals use sophisticated tools that can rapidly decipher passwords.

Avoid creating passwords that use:
  • Dictionary words in any language.
  • Words spelled backwards, common misspellings, and abbreviations.
  • Sequences or repeated characters. Examples: 12345678, 222222, abcdefg, or adjacent letters on your keyboard (qwerty).
  • Personal information. Your name, birthday, driver's license, passport number, or similar information.

Can you put suggestions when people sign up for their account? That'd probably be best.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
Re: Security and using WNFF
« Reply #2: October 30, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
Use a fake name and create an alterego. Seems to work for me, other than the stalkers.