Author Topic: Lerners prepared to let Crow and other top picks go unsigned  (Read 4161 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Oh, he'll sign. No player in their right mind would go back to school and risk injuries and the loss of a lot of money (for being drafted lower) just because they want a higher bonus now. It's just a negotiating tactic. He'll probably sign right around the deadline, but he WILL sign.

I think Crow and Hicks are the guys we are most likely to sign.  A team in our position can afford to wait until next year to take another first rounder.  Hicks is probably just waiting for us to sign one or two of our top 5 before he puts his signature to paper.  I think that Nieto will be the hardest sign and frankly I don't care if we get him. Hood is going to be a tough sign, but I think ultimately they will get him in close to the deadline.  Espinosa is the biggest wildcard, but I think he will sign as well eventually (Espinosa is represented by dirtbag extraordinaire Scott Boras).

Offline ronnynat

Hood is going to be a tough sign, but I think ultimately they will get him in close to the deadline.  Espinosa is the biggest wildcard, but I think he will sign as well eventually (Espinosa is represented by dirtbag extraordinaire Scott Boras).

You really think we'll sign Hood? That'd be nice, but I give it about a 20% chance of actually happening. Unlike Crow, he has a lot of reasons NOT to sign.

The fact that Espinosa is represented by Boras makes me understand Lerner's "ridiculous" comment a little better. Boras ALWAYS has to be talked down.

Offline hammondsnats

As each day goes by, the more and more I dislike the Lerners.  Thanks for taking something we love and absolutely sending it down the sh!tter.

While this news is very discouraging, we still have until Aug. 15th after Aug. 15th then we can all raise hell but until then everything being said is just part of Negotiations.

Exactly. Closer to the deadline these guys will start sweating and get more and more itchin' to get the pen in hand to sign. These kids right now are trying to play hardball and get bank for....what did they do in the MLB again to earn such money again? Granted, I don't think all Top Five will sign because there will be a hot head or two being just stupid.

As for FAs, looking in the Rumor Section of this board and some of the incredibly insane players some of you think are going to sign here, I can understand your disappointment. I think.

MrMadison

If the Lerners let their draft picks walk, then the "Built the Farm System" Plan is a sham.

that's all I'm saying.

Offline sportsfan882

A club source said the Nationals have not been told to only offer signing bonuses as slotted. And any such directive would contradict Washington's previous practice; it paid $1.8 million to sixth-round pick Jack McGeary minutes before the Aug. 15 deadline last season, setting a record for a sixth-rounder.

"We're negotiating with our unsigned drafted players," Bowden said. "We'll be fair and equitable with what the market dictates, and we hope our players sign."

In one paragraph it says the Lerners said slot only, in another paragraph, it says the Nats have not been told that at all ... so basically, I don't know what to believe ...
That looks like a typo to me. I think it meant to say that: "A club source said the Nationals have not been told to only offer signing bonuses as slotted".

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I'm still in freaking disbelief.

You're telling me that McGeary was worth more than slot money when we don't even know if he'll be able to put enough time into his development as a player, yet some of this year's draft picks aren't?

The thing that gets my goat is that these cheap-ass mother freakers aren't spending money on anything else, so why can't they sign exorbitant contracts with their draft picks?

MrMadison

The thing that gets my goat is that these cheap-ass mother freakers aren't spending money on anything else, so why can't they sign exorbitant contracts with their draft picks?

this.

Offline Natskins

If the Lerners let their draft picks walk, then the "Built the Farm System" Plan is a sham.

that's all I'm saying.

Yeah. The quote where he says 'if we don't sign a pick, we get the same pick next year' is infuriating. That should be the WORST case scenario, but he makes it sound like it's a good thing. Draft picks are usless if you don't sign them, and 'the plan' is stalled if you don't sign them.

Because we've been sold 'the plan' and 'patience', our draft picks are really all we have to get excited about. And they seem intent on even screwing THAT up.

Offline houston-nat

It's just a negotiating tactic.
Ditto'd.
Scare them into submission is what they're up to. Cheapskates.

Offline Obed_Marsh

So do you really want them telling the press that "Yup, we've got fat pockets for prospects, have no problem setting historical highs for signing above slot, committed to signing all our picks, because we're desperate to improve our crappy system"?

I know it sucks watching this team play right now but let's not get so desperate that we forget what was done last year and that none of this years draft class is going to fix this season. Take a breath, step back, relax and if it doesn't come through than break out the tar and feathers and head down to the front office.

Offline sportsfan882

So do you really want them telling the press that "Yup, we've got fat pockets for prospects, have no problem setting historical highs for signing above slot, committed to signing all our picks, because we're desperate to improve our crappy system"?
Nope I'd rather them shut the freak up and just get the damn players signed so they can start playing baseball.

exporam

I think we'll definitely sign Crow and Espinosa. I'm pretty sure we won't sign Hood, though. Going to Alabama was always the best option for him anyways.

Hood is not even on the radar for getting playing time with the Tide.  He would likely be redshirted.

As far as the negotiations, this better just be posturing.  Probably is - they overspent last year and are acting like they are getting things (bonuses) back in line again so as to not set an overpaying precedent.  I still think they will sign most...

On top of that, if these kids are really asking for astronomical amounts of cash, do you really want to blow that money on prospects that might never pan out? Because that is all these kids are: prospects who haven't played an MLB game their whole lives. Other than the masturbatory praise heaped on them by old fart scouts, what have they really done or proven to get huge bonuses for lounging around in the minors?

Offline sportsfan882

On top of that, if these kids are really asking for astronomical amounts of cash, do you really want to blow that money on prospects that might never pan out? Because that is all these kids are: prospects who haven't played an MLB game their whole lives. Other than the masturbatory praise heaped on them by old fart scouts, what have they really done or proven to get huge bonuses for lounging around in the minors?
What have those pieces of crap like Lo Duca ($5 Million), Estrada ($1.25 Million), and Colome ($1.25 Million) done to deserve those ludicrous contracts we gave them? We are paying these kids a fraction of the price and the potential rewards are sky-high. Lo Duca, Estrada, and Colome were a COMPLETE waste of money. There was nothing to gain from them whatsoever. There was not even a chance they would pan out here. Sure the young kids might not make it but if they do it would be well worth it.

Best Case Scenarios: Crow (ML #1 starter), Hood (Middle of the order power hitter; 30+ HR potential), Espinosa (Great defensive SS with a potent bat for a SS), Hicks (#3-5 ML Starter), Nieto (ML starting Catcher).  Even if 1 pans out to one of those scenarios all the money would be worth it.

What have those pieces of crap like Lo Duca ($5 Million), Estrada ($1.25 Million), and Colome ($1.25 Million) done to deserve those ludicrous contracts we gave them?

Other than they are MLB ready and at one time or another had a decent game? Absolutely nothing. Its bad enough we have MLB players asking for the moon, but to have the snot nosed rooks who may be nothing but minor league filler their whole careers acting like they are "the crap" over what they did in college or HS ball? You have to at least grant the FO some reservations.

Offline daveb32

Other than they are MLB ready and at one time or another had a decent game? Absolutely nothing. Its bad enough we have MLB players asking for the moon, but to have the snot nosed rooks who may be nothing but minor league filler their whole careers acting like they are "the ****" over what they did in college or HS ball? You have to at least grant the FO some reservations.

You can absolutely take this approach to the situation, and if this is the case, that they are trying to send a message to these kids that they are not the next Sandy Koufax and what they did in college means diddly squat up in the bigs, then all the power to them. It's a lot easier to stomach than just admitting that the Lerners are a bunch of cheapskates. I agree that dishing out this cash is fundamental to our "plan" and everything, but when does it stop? Adrian Nieto drafted in the 5th round and he wants 2nd round money? If he deserved that money he would have been drafted into the second round. If the FO gives these guys whatever money they want, future picks will walk all over them and they'll be even harder to sign than they are now. As it is, kids are asking rediculous amounts of money for something they accomplished in HIGH SCHOOL. Gimme a break.

I believe that they are on the right track and this media stunt was only to give these kids and future kids the knowledge that they will not be able to walk all over the Nationals FO in the years to come. If by August 16th none of these guys are signed, I will be upset but it won't be the end of the world, so let's just simmer down until then.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
When teams like the A's sign some 16 yr. old to 4.5 mil, its no wonder that other kids have this type of I won't sign unless its for big bucks attitude!

Offline UMDNats

When teams like the A's sign some 16 yr. old to 4.5 mil, its no wonder that other kids have this type of I won't sign unless its for big bucks attitude!

It was funny that it was the A's who paid that much, considering they usually are cheap when it comes to signing rookies.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

We are on the verge of becoming the Marlins Part 2.
So two World Championships are in the National's future? Good deal!

Offline Dave B

Perhaps these kids are holding the Nats hostage because they know of The Plan and the fans' dissatisfaction. So the Nats essentially NEED to sign them.  But if anything, I guess the Lerners have also shown they dont give a F about their customers

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
QFT. The rest of you should take a longer view. Do you pay "dealer markup" for your car because you just have to get it in the driveway?

Be pissed about this year's performance on the field (I know I am) but this is just exactly what one would expect from tough negotiators.

Does anybody think it would be smart to say to the media "We are going to sign those guys no matter how much they ask for" ? Get real people, the FO is going to stick to the" slot" nonsense for as long as possible. Only fools negotiate through the press.

Offline daveb32

We're all just pissed because our team sucks and we want something to look forward to.

Offline PatsNats28

If this were football, I'd agree with you, but hell, it doesn't matter that much if they don't pan out, because there's no cap hit or anything, and if we do get lucky, then its awesome.

If this were football, I'd agree with you, but hell, it doesn't matter that much if they don't pan out, because there's no cap hit or anything, and if we do get lucky, then its awesome.

It's so much easier to say spend the money when it's not your money.