Author Topic: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 1  (Read 34860 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 1
« Reply #100: June 14, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
Anyone see this crap from Kilgore:

A recent development added another layer to Zimmerman’s future in Washington. The Nationals selected Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon with the sixth overall pick in the draft. General Manager Mike Rizzo vowed Rendon would start his career at third base and raved about Rendon’s “Gold Glove-caliber defense” there. The underlying, tacit implication: If Zimmerman leaves in free agency after 2013, the Nationals now have his potential replacement.

I know guys get moved in the minors but come on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals-eager-to-welcome-ryan-zimmerman-back-from-dl/2011/06/13/AGoD1eTH_story.html

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #101: June 14, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
i hate it too, but I'm not sure I see any better options at leadoff with Bernie out.
Really, you don't think Hairston or Ankiel or Desmond would be better as Lead-Off for now? And put Werth as 2nd -then Ryan Z.-then Espinosa -then Morse?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #102: June 14, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »
Really, you don't think Hairston or Ankiel or Desmond would be better as Lead-Off for now? And put Werth as 2nd -then Ryan Z.-then Espinosa -then Morse?

Maybe Hairston or Espinosa, but not Desmond.  He seems to lose it whenever he hits leadoff.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #103: June 14, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
Career suicide for Rizzo if he lets Zimm walk.

There'd be a revolt, of that much I'm sure.

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #104: June 14, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »

A recent development added another layer to Zimmerman’s future in Washington. The Nationals selected Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon with the sixth overall pick in the draft. General Manager Mike Rizzo vowed Rendon would start his career at third base and raved about Rendon’s “Gold Glove-caliber defense” there. The underlying, tacit implication: If Zimmerman leaves in free agency after 2013, the Nationals now have his potential replacement.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals-eager-to-welcome-ryan-zimmerman-back-from-dl/2011/06/13/AGoD1eTH_story.html

I told you there was a buzz about this -but everybody called me crazy and ridiculous and nuts.  I even started a thread about this last week, and went down in flames over this - BUT LIKE I SAID AT THE TIME, there was and is a whole lot of talk going around about this pick of Rendon.  Even Wallace said on the Nats Talk show on Saturday - that there was no guarantee that Ryan Z would be here another 10 years, and that he might be traded down the line, or go to another club when he becomes a FA. So to all those who were calling me ridiculous and hitting me with"OMG"  statements, and talking about wearing a tin-foil hat - I say to you  :razz: And  :razz: And  :razz:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #105: June 14, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »
Kilgore is speculating without any facts.

There's no reason you don't play Rendon, at this point in his career, at his primary position and see what happens.  If you extend Zimm then he's trade-bait.  If not, then he's the new 3B.  Or, you move him somewhere else.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #106: June 14, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
It's not that I doubted you... I just didn't think Rizzo was capable of being that stupid.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #107: June 14, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »
Kilgore is speculating without any facts.

There's no reason you don't play Rendon, at this point in his career, at his primary position and see what happens.  If you extend Zimm then he's trade-bait.  If not, then he's the new 3B.  Or, you move him somewhere else.

Obvious facts SHOULD be obvious - good post

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #108: June 14, 2011, 05:48:53 PM »
Good thing we're putting Zim in the 5th most important spot in the lineup :stir:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #109: June 14, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
Even when/if Zimm is re-signed, you don't trade Rendon. You either move him to 2B or 1B.

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #110: June 14, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
It's not that I doubted you... I just didn't think Rizzo was capable of being that stupid.
                 If Ryan gets the right offer of money, when he's a FA - What? You think he wouldn't take it - if Lerner and Rizzo don't match it. The fact is Rizzo is just giving himself options for the future. And if Kilgore, is in fact, quoting Rizzo -then bank on it.   Cause Rizzo would sue him/or take action, in an instant, if Kilgore mis-quoted him, and published it, in any form....

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #111: June 14, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Obvious facts SHOULD be obvious - good post
                 Making plans are not always based on facts - it is a projection of what you see, or want to see,or may happen in the future. Nobody thought Dunn would leave - surely they would extend him-the fans chanted to keep Dunn at numerous games so Rizzo and Riggleman could hear -So do you see Dunn playing for the Nats this season? And that would be a "No".
What you would like to see, or think is a fact, does not always turn out to be.  :shrug:

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #112: June 14, 2011, 06:04:49 PM »
              It's not being stupid to have options and cover all your bases - that's business, and that's being a smart businessman. But enough about my flame imploding adventure on the fan forum- Back to the game.. :mg:

Offline BerakosVA

« Reply #113: June 14, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
is there anyone in this lineup that will walk 80+ times?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #114: June 14, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »
There's no real advantage to the Nationals not paying Zimm whatever he wants to be paid.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #115: June 14, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »
is there anyone in this lineup that will walk 80+ times?

Only 8 players did that in the NL last year and Werth was one of them (Dunn wasn't one but had 77).  He could possibly make it again this year but is only at 31.  I doubt anyone else on the team makes it, though I am more concerned with OBP than walk total, which isn't very good either.  Only Morse, Zimm, Nix, and Werth have an OBP over .330 and none over .350.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #116: June 14, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »

The spin machine never sleeps.  Gotta get the ball rolling now just in case.  If Zimm isn't re-signed by late next season, they'll turn Ladson loose on him

:popcorn:

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #117: June 14, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »
Only 8 players did that in the NL last year and Werth was one of them (Dunn wasn't one but had 77).  He could possibly make it again this year but is only at 31.  I doubt anyone else on the team makes it, though I am more concerned with OBP than walk total, which isn't very good either.  Only Morse, Zimm, Nix, and Werth have an OBP over .330 and none over .350.

Espinosa should be up in the .330 range once his BABIP normalizes.  Maybe .350 once he learns to better recognize breaking balls.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #118: June 14, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
    I told you there was a buzz about this -but everybody called me crazy and ridiculous and nuts.  I even started a thread about this last week, and went down in flames over this - BUT LIKE I SAID AT THE TIME, there was and is a whole lot of talk going around about this pick of Rendon.  Even Wallace said on the Nats Talk show on Saturday - that there was no guarantee that Ryan Z would be here another 10 years, and that he might be traded down the line, or go to another club when he becomes a FA. So to all those who were calling me ridiculous and hitting me with"OMG"  statements, and talking about wearing a tin-foil hat - I say to you  :razz: And  :razz: And  :razz:
That's because it is crazy, ridiculous and nuts to be thinking they drafted him with the intent of having him replacing Zim.  If it works out that way, then so be it, but I think they have every intention of keeping Zim around as long as they can.  You (with a few rare exceptions) don't draft for need or with the intent that he'll replace another player down the road, it just doesn't work that way.  Baseball is not football or basketball.

Offline BerakosVA

« Reply #119: June 14, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »

Thought Willingham has 80 walks last year before he hit the dl?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #120: June 14, 2011, 06:55:36 PM »
Thought Willingham has 80 walks last year before he hit the dl?
67.  He was probably on pace to break 80, but he didn't get there.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #121: June 14, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »
That's because it is crazy, ridiculous and nuts to be thinking they drafted him with the intent of having him replacing Zim.  If it works out that way, then so be it, but I think they have every intention of keeping Zim around as long as they can.  You (with a few rare exceptions) don't draft for need or with the intent that he'll replace another player down the road, it just doesn't work that way.  Baseball is not football or basketball.

This guy should and could have gone 2nd or 3rd or 1st. They were not planning on drafting him.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #122: June 14, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
This guy should and could have gone 2nd or 3rd or 1st. They were not planning on drafting him.
exactly.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #123: June 14, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »
haha it's raining at the park - bright and sunny a few miles north

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #124: June 14, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
must be a metaphor