Author Topic: Clinton Portis, The new face of the franchise?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Clinton Portis, The new face of the franchise?
« Topic Start: August 11, 2006, 10:49:44 AM »
Mike Wise offered that Clinton Portis is now the new face of the Washington Redskins now that Lavar Arrington has departed for that trash-heap in New York (whoops!  Did I say that Jmad?   :oops: ).  

Thoughts?  What do you guys think of his chances of being able to finally get a running game this season?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1: August 11, 2006, 10:51:37 AM »
He had a good year last year and will make the pro bowl this year.
He, Cooley, and Taylor are the faces on the franchise. I would say Marcus Washington, but he isn't a big media guy from what I've seen.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #2: August 11, 2006, 10:52:57 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
He had a good year last year and will make the pro bowl this year.
He, Cooley, and Taylor are the faces on the franchise. I would say Marcus Washington, but he isn't a big media guy from what I've seen.
Tell me you just didn't call Sean Taylor the face of the franchise....please tell me you didn't just do that!   :shock:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: August 11, 2006, 10:54:10 AM »
Tons of people know that he's one of the big names on the team. He may not have his head all the way on right, but the kid can play and everyone in DC knows that.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #4: August 11, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Tons of people know that he's one of the big names on the team. He may not have his head all the way on right, but the kid can play and everyone in DC knows that.
Well maybe he can play...but I don't think a THUG with a gun would be the best face to put on a lunchbox at school.   :?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: August 11, 2006, 10:58:33 AM »
Well, that would be someone like Cooley or Portis. That's why I said all 3 are. Taylor - everyone knows his talent, it's a matter of character
Portis and Cooley are both fan favorites.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #6: August 11, 2006, 05:12:20 PM »
I agree with Nats19 about Sean Taylor.  He may not be a role model but these are professional athletes we are talking about.  To be truthful, I would rather win the Super Bowl with Sean Taylor than get skunked with some do-gooder that can't play but makes his bed in the morning.

The best player on the team is Marcus Washington.  As for the face of the franchise, I still think the QB wins that award so I would go with Brunnell.  Portis is not far behind.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: August 13, 2006, 11:33:53 PM »
If Clinton Portis was the face of the franchise then I guess the Cincinnati Bengals just ripped our face off tonight.   :oops:

Portis hurt on opening series of preseason
Redskins RB suffers partially dislocated shoulder in 19-3 loss to Bengals
The Associated Press
LINK: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14336488/

Updated: 11:27 p.m. ET Aug 13, 2006
CINCINNATI - One series into its first preseason game, the Washington Redskins? revamped offense took a significant jolt.

Running back Clinton Portis partially dislocated his left shoulder Sunday night during a 19-3 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, giving the Redskins a major concern for the regular season.

Portis ran for a club-record 1,516 yards last season, when Washington made the playoffs as a wild-card team, and was counted on to steady an offense retooled by assistant coach Al Saunders in the offseason.

Instead, Washington is wondering how long it will be without its best running back.

Portis opened the game with an 8-yard carry, then blocked for Mark Brunell?s passes. He helped tackle cornerback Keiwan Ratliff on an interception return that ended Washington?s first possession, then left the game to get his shoulder examined.

An MRI test detected the injury, which involves the bone popping out of place temporarily in the shoulder socket. Standard treatment involves rest and strengthening exercises. There was no immediate indication how long he will be sidelined.

Heading into the preseason opener, the Redskins were essentially set at all but one linebacker spot, where rookie Rocky McIntosh was competing for a job. Eight plays into the preseason, their plans took a huge hit.

Without Portis, the running game will depend upon backup Ladell Betts, who ran for 338 yards last season and missed four games because of a knee injury.

For Cincinnati, the opener was a chance to gauge what the offense will look like if Carson Palmer isn?t ready to start the season. Palmer stood on the sideline in a white Bengals T-shirt and gray sweat pants, watching newcomer Anthony Wright make a lackluster debut.

The Bengals failed to get a first down on their first three series behind Wright, a free-agent quarterback signed less than four months ago. He was sacked twice and looked indecisive in those three drives.

He finally got going with the help of a flea-flicker ? a trick play seldom used in preseason ? that surprised the Redskins. T.J. Houshmandzadeh was unguarded downfield for a 52-yard catch, setting up Wright?s 12-yard touchdown pass to Chris Henry.

Wright was 9-of-16 in the first half for 101 yards, more than half of them on the one trick play. Doug Johnson went 11-of-14 for 128 yards with a touchdown and three sacks in the second half, when both teams played their backups.

Palmer tore ligaments in his left knee during a playoff loss to Pittsburgh in January and had reconstructive surgery. He?s not expected to play until at least the third preseason game, leaving his status unclear.

Bengals Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson showed up with a new look ? his mohawk was dyed blond ? but didn?t catch a pass in limited action. Johnson had shaved his head for games in the past.

Receiver Chris Henry, one of six Bengals either arrested or suspended in recent months, had six catches for 61 yards. Henry is scheduled to go on trial on a gun charge in Florida later this month.

Brunell played only two series, going 4-of-9 for 66 yards with the interception by Ratliff that was Portis? final play. Backup Todd Collins finished the first half, going 6-of-13 for 68 yards with an interception. Collins also was called for intentional grounding in the end zone, resulting in a safety.

Notes: Redskins second-string LB Chris Clemons sprained a ligament in his left knee late in the first quarter. Trainers put a brace on the knee before he was helped off without putting weight on the leg. ... RB Kerry Carter had to be helped off the field with an injured right knee in the second quarter. The Redskins signed Carter as a free agent in January after he missed last season. ... WR Mike Espy, an undrafted free agent from Mississippi who is the son of former Agriculture Secretary Michael Espy, caught four passes for 56 yards for Washington. ... The crowd of 64,961 was the largest for a preseason game in Paul Brown Stadium?s seven years.