Author Topic: Depth Chart  (Read 653 times)

Offline Knight

Depth Chart
« Topic Start: August 06, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
When I just looked at the depth chart on the Nationals website, I see Suziki slotted ahead of Flores.   And Suziki has played the last couple games.  I was under the assumption that Suziki would back Flores up.   Which do you think is the actual case?   And if Suziki comes in ahead of Flores, he certianly won't bump Ramos next year, will he?    I hope not.

One can't really trust the depth chart on the website.   It has Espinosa as the 2nd baseman and Lomardozzi as the SS.   And some other interesting placements.   

So just curious what you all think.

Offline Clever

Re: Depth Chart
« Reply #1: August 06, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
Rizzo and Johnson both stated that Suzuki would be the starting catcher.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2: August 06, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
Suzuki is the #1 guy. Davey has said it. Rizzo has said it.

My feeling (only a feeling) is that Suzuki is an insurance policy in case Ramos is too badly injured to be ready in Spring training.

When I just looked at the depth chart on the Nationals website, I see Suziki slotted ahead of Flores.   And Suziki has played the last couple games.  I was under the assumption that Suziki would back Flores up.   Which do you think is the actual case?   And if Suziki comes in ahead of Flores, he certianly won't bump Ramos next year, will he?    I hope not.

One can't really trust the depth chart on the website.   It has Espinosa as the 2nd baseman and Lomardozzi as the SS.   And some other interesting placements.   

So just curious what you all think.

Offline Knight

« Reply #3: August 06, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
Hadn't heard.  Been away from the "news" the last few days.   Thanks.   I am a bit surprised.   Not sure I like it.  But oh well, we'll see how it works out.   Have they given any indication for 2013?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: August 06, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
  Have they given any indication for 2013?

all depends on the health and readiness of Ramos and, to a lesser extent, Solano.

Offline Knight

« Reply #5: August 06, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »
So Flores is basically done?  I thought he did alright. 

Was Suziki starting in Oakland by the point of the trade?   Or did the guy that was DFA'd from Milwaukee take his place?   Or something like that.

Offline Clever

« Reply #6: August 06, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
So Flores is basically done?  I thought he did alright. 

Was Suziki starting in Oakland by the point of the trade?   Or did the guy that was DFA'd from Milwaukee take his place?   Or something like that.
Norris had already replaced him as the primary catcher, and after they got Kottaras they dumped Suzuki for salary relief.

Flores has been in a major slump for the last two months, both offensively and defensively.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #7: August 06, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
Norris had already replaced him as the primary catcher, and after they got Kottaras they dumped Suzuki for salary relief.

Flores has been in a major slump for the last two months, both offensively and defensively.

I'd say he has been slumping since about April 5th, you know, like all season.  The injury really set him back and he is a backup catcher now.  Nothing else to it.  It is a shame to see it happen, but Ramos was definitely the starter even in a bad year this year before he got hurt.  Solano and Leon still have lots to learn behind the dish in blocking and fielding, but Solano could actually hit and Flores hasn't hit and aside from the decent blocks (not great because maybe three of Henry's crazy pitches should have been blocked by him) his defense is terrible, i.e. his arm is not what it used to be.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: August 06, 2012, 10:06:28 PM »
I'd say he has been slumping since about April 5th, you know, like all season.  The injury really set him back and he is a backup catcher now.  Nothing else to it.  It is a shame to see it happen, but Ramos was definitely the starter even in a bad year this year before he got hurt.  Solano and Leon still have lots to learn behind the dish in blocking and fielding, but Solano could actually hit and Flores hasn't hit and aside from the decent blocks (not great because maybe three of Henry's crazy pitches should have been blocked by him) his defense is terrible, i.e. his arm is not what it used to be.

I don't know why people keep saying that Ramos was having a bad year... he wasn't.

.752 OPS, 104 OPS+

Offline Knight

« Reply #9: August 06, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
Ramos was the starter? :roll: :shock: :mg:

Offline Knight

« Reply #10: August 06, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
I don't know why people keep saying that Ramos was having a bad year... he wasn't.

Agreed

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #11: August 06, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »

.752 OPS, 104 OPS+

But a terrible year fielding throws on plays at the plate. I think of catchers as defense first.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #12: August 06, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
But a terrible year fielding throws on plays at the plate.

Ok. So like five plays all year.

Hardly makes a season bad. Confirmation bias at its most glaring.

Since they were big plays you don't forget them... but you don't remember how much better he was than Flores, or that he was having a good season.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #13: August 06, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
You like the term confirmation bias, don't you. Listen, you've spewed hate on Flores all year, every opportunity. Please don't tell me about my bias.

And it may have been five plays, but it was a large percentage of the plays at the plate.

Again, my bias for catchers is defense first.

Ramos was better with a bat, no doubt.

Ok. So like five plays all year.

Hardly makes a season bad. Confirmation bias at its most glaring.

Since they were big plays you don't forget them... but you don't remember how much better he was than Flores, or that he was having a good season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #14: August 06, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »
You like the term confirmation bias, don't you. Listen, you've spewed hate on Flores all year, every opportunity. Please don't tell me about my bias.

And it may have been five plays, but it was a large percentage of the plays at the plate.

Again, my bias for catchers is defense first.

Ramos was better with a bat, no doubt.

Well, as rough as my comments on Flores may have been, more times than not they often rang true... and his play bore that out.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #15: August 06, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »
But you didn't see the good stuff. That's called... wait... I forget... ;)

Well, as rough as my comments on Flores may have been, more times than not they often rang true... and his play bore that out.