Author Topic: Alful Lineup  (Read 2880 times)

goin2cthenats

Alful Lineup
« Topic Start: July 18, 2005, 10:44:45 PM »
5 Carlos Baerga- too old

2 Jamey Carroll- needs to hit about .15 AVG better to start at SS

9 Vinny Castilla- getting tired but have very limited choices

25 Wil Cordero- cant stand him, call up rick short

15 Cristian Guzman- Batting Avg. .190 stupid to start right now

3 Jose Vidro- will hit .290 to .305 great leader

26 Marlon Byrd- i think this slump is how bryd really is, hes not a .290 hitter

19 Ryan Church- will be solid agianst right handers only

6 Jose Guillen- teams best player?? (feilder

7 Brad Wilkerson- lead off with almost anyone else please

44 Preston Wilson- Colorado rasied his stats alot, he will hit .260

and also Guzman, Cordero and Bearga need to be sent down (mabye not Guzman) for Rick Short and Matt Cipicky and maybe even Ryan Zimmerman??

What should the nats do?? WE ARE GOING DOWN TOOOOOO QUICK

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Alful Lineup
« Reply #1: July 18, 2005, 11:22:04 PM »
That's the $64,000 question. It's not easy to deal when your cupboard has empty shelves. The Nats don't have the greatest prospects to trade away. I think Bowden is either can't trade someone like Wilkerson, or maybe he just doesn't have the balls to make a major move. This team needs to e shaken up, and not a tiny nudge, it needs a major wake up call.

If we look at what Bowden got with the little money he had to play with, he actually did an passable job. Injuries, and of late this freak dizziness that players are getting (who's in charge of keeping the bench and clubhouse clean?) has been taking it's toll on the older players who would have, under normal circumstances have been able to rest with a healthy team and stronger bench.

Whoever the GM is when things are settled with the new ownership, will not only need to build a strong bench, either with add ins in trades or as free agent signings. He'll need to do this while improving the starting 8 as well as the pitching staff. Its going to be a very interesting off-season.

In the meantime, Bowden needs to show some balls and make a bold move, because this team needs to be shocked into waking up, not nudged gently.

NatsCaps19

Alful Lineup
« Reply #2: July 19, 2005, 05:14:32 AM »
hmm.. i agree with some of your points, but regardless of Baerga's age he's been playing pretty good the last month or so. Not to mention his leadership and presence in the clubhouse is invaluable.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Alful Lineup
« Reply #3: July 19, 2005, 06:24:28 AM »
You're right NatsCaps...Baerga's greatest assett is his clubhouse demeanor.  He's a real lightening rod for the guys to get pumped-up during the game.  He's also a perfect pinch-hitting clutch hitter.  But that's about all he's worth now...he can't do the every day deal anymore.

Montcobaseball

Alful Lineup
« Reply #4: July 19, 2005, 07:09:53 AM »
A perfect pinch hitting clutch hitter?  He is 0- 15 pinch hitting this year.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Alful Lineup
« Reply #5: July 19, 2005, 07:24:15 AM »
Quote from: "Montcobaseball"

Can that be right?!?  I know I've seen Baerga hit some much needed hits when we needed them.  I remember so well because he runs the bases funny and I was laughing so hard at the time.   :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Alful Lineup
« Reply #6: July 19, 2005, 07:47:14 AM »

I knew that couldn't be right:

July 16 against Milwaukee:

Washington - Top of 7th Score
Ricky Bottalico pitching for Milwaukee WAS MIL
R Bottalico relieved C Capuano. 3 3
C Baerga hit for E Loaiza. 3 3
C Baerga singled to left. 3 3

June 29 against Pittsburgh:

Washington - Bottom of 8th Score
Salomon Torres pitching for Pittsburgh PIT WAS
C Guzman grounded out to first. 2 2
C Baerga hit for L Ayala. 2 2
C Baerga singled to center. 2 2

June 22nd against Pittsburgh:

Washington - Top of 9th Score
Rick White pitching for Pittsburgh WAS PIT
R White relieved M Gonzalez. 5 4
H Cota catching. 5 4
C Baerga hit for H Carrasco. 5 4
C Baerga singled to center. 5 4

June 11th vs. Seattle:

Washington - Bottom of 7th Score
J.J. Putz pitching for Seattle SEA WAS
J Putz relieved J Moyer. 1 1
C Guzman grounded out to third. 1 1
C Baerga hit for J Patterson. 1 1
C Baerga singled to right center. 1 1

And June 2nd vs. Atlanta, May 24th vs. Cincinatti, May 2nd & 3rd vs. Los Angeles.  

Where did the 0-15 come from?   :?

Offline rileyn

Alful Lineup
« Reply #7: July 19, 2005, 09:06:36 AM »

I think you are thinking about Cordero, not Baerga.  Carlos has delivered some big hits this year.

Montcobaseball

Alful Lineup
« Reply #8: July 19, 2005, 12:48:32 PM »
Yes you are right.  I read that too fast.  Cordero is the one who is 0-15 pinch hitting.  My mistake.  He needs to be a coach in the minor league system.  Any GM with balls would have made this move a long time ago.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

Alful Lineup
« Reply #9: July 19, 2005, 01:38:22 PM »
I agree with Ken that Bowden really doesn't have a lot to trade.

What he DOES have left is a lot of mid level prospects in the high minors who a small market team might be interested in: Harris, Broadway, Cepicky, Godwin, Bray.
Bowden has said he would consider (beg somebody to take?) trading any or all of these guys.

None are projected to be All Stars - maybe not even everyday players - but might be attractive to Tampa or other teams where salary is the biggest factor.

They are no loss to the nats as, with the reliably rumored payroll increase to 80 MIL plus with ownership in place, none are likely to crack the Nats lineup in the next couple of seasons anyway.

Hinckley is (was?) a step up in class due to BaseballAmerica rating him in their top 50 (#47). Dunno how much his problems this season have tarnished that but he's likely still a guy you might get something  pretty good for.

I don't see Bowden trading an everyday player off the roster unless he could unload Guzman (take my SS. Please!). As odd and flawed a leadoff man as Wilkie is, he's the best the Nats have and he IS top 10 in OBP for leadoff men. With Byrd playing worse each week, hard to see how Bowden would be comfortable with him being the defacto leadoff hitter.

Even if he wanted to, there is zero prospect of trading Nick once off the DL as there are just no first baseman who would be a definite upgrade rumored to be available (offseason is another matter and I bet Nick goes).

There is a published rumor Yankees are interested in Byrd (kinda by default in their desperate search for someone to play CF). That would only be for bullpen help or maybe a bench player tho.

Doubt you could trade cordero. Don't know if he can be sent to the minors (Baerga has it in his deal he can walk if he is, so maybe Cordero does too). He may also get paid his full contract regardles of what happens as he might have a drop dead date of, say, All Star break where he gets it all whether he's with the team or not. Dunno.

When he goes he'll likely be waived (contender might even pick him up and try him out for a few AB's if they got injuries and roster spots but who cares).

Not so sure you want to trade Church as he continues to impress and now you can add playing thru pain to his resum?. Would have to be for something very good and I don't see that very likely at the deadline (as opposed to offseason).

My guess is Nats OF will look very different in 2006 but probably none of those moves can be made before the offseason.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Alful Lineup
« Reply #10: July 19, 2005, 06:18:48 PM »
We all know the Rangers are open to the idea of trading Soriano (hmm would be move to 1st?) they are also rumored to be willing to trade Teixeira if the offer is right... It would probably take Nick Johnson plus a high prospect to get him though

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

Alful Lineup
« Reply #11: July 19, 2005, 06:30:39 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
We all know the Rangers are open to the idea of trading Soriano (hmm would be move to 1st?) they are also rumored to be willing to trade Teixeira if the offer is right... It would probably take Nick Johnson plus a high prospect to get him though

I would do that deal in an instant. Teixeira is not the kind of player usually my favorite, but i've seen a fair bit of him this year and like him.

Kinda forgot about Soriano. Original trade rumor died when Guerrero went out and Rangers were climbing the standings but now looks like they are done. Tho Bowden's idea was to play him in LF (where he's probably be better than at 2B anyway) but with Wilson here would only really work if Nick is out for the season.

NatsCaps19

Alful Lineup
« Reply #12: July 19, 2005, 07:43:32 PM »
i would LOVE to see Soriano in a Nats uni  :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Alful Lineup
« Reply #13: July 19, 2005, 10:01:55 PM »
Rangers are only 2.5 games out of the wild card, though it is a crowded field of contenders.  Can't see them throwing in the towel just yet.

Regardless, I would love to see Big Tex in RFK.  Might see some upper deck shots, that guy's a real masher.

Hayden

Re: Alful Lineup
« Reply #14: July 19, 2005, 10:05:23 PM »
Carlos Baerga- too old : True, the guy is old, but he has been playing well. I don't care if he is a 4 year old crack baby. If the guy is playing well, play him.

Jamey Carroll - needs to hit about .15 AVG better to start at SS : Currently Cristian Guzman has been causing about as much force as Hurricane Emily in wind speed. Guzman needs some time off to remember to hit the small white ball being thrown in his general direction.

Vinny Castilla- getting tired but have very limited choices : Injuries are the main problem. My choice for his backup would be Brendan Harris.

Wil Cordero- cant stand him, call up rick short : Ok, yeah. This guy is terrible right now. Fully agree, but you can't send him down merely for his veteran leadership. Anyone who has played on a team before knows that veteran leaders are very important.

Cristian Guzman- Batting Avg. .190 stupid to start right now : See Carroll comments.

Jose Vidro- will hit .290 to .305 great leader : No need for further comments. You said it all.

Marlon Byrd- i think this slump is how bryd really is, hes not a .290 hitter : Good bench player. Start every couple of games to give the rest of the guys a break.

Ryan Church- will be solid agianst right handers only : Possible NL rookie of the year. Potential lead off hitter.

Jose Guillen- teams best player?? (feilder : Team leader, no question about it.

Brad Wilkerson- lead off with almost anyone else please : Good team player, but I agree he shouldn't lead off. Bat fifth or sixth.

Preston Wilson- Colorado rasied his stats alot, he will hit .260 : Nat's second half MVP possibly. The guy has something to prove.

and also Guzman, Cordero and Bearga need to be sent down (mabye not Guzman) for Rick Short and Matt Cipicky and maybe even Ryan Zimmerman?? : Leave Zimmerman in Harrisburg, Short and Cepicky in New Orleans. Bring up Harris.