Author Topic: It's Sunday  (Read 766 times)

Offline Fan037

It's Sunday
« Topic Start: October 14, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
It's Sunday!  I wake up very excited.  It's the opening day of the NLCS.  Outside it's a beautiful sunny fall day.  Oh, yes, the Redskins play today too - at 4:15 p.m.  I'm a big Skins' fan, but today, they are not my focus.  Tonight my Nationals are in the National League Championship Series.  They will face the San Francisco Giants, and for some reason, I'm not worrying about them.  We will take this series and go on to the biggest baseball event in DC since 1933.

It's early but I have to get dressed in my Nats' gear.  I read the Washington Post to see the latest Nationals' tidbit and eat breakfast.  Later we're going over to our son's house to celebrate our 8-year old grandson's birthday.  Wow - three fun events - a birthday party, a Redskins' game (hopefully with a healthy RGIII), and then the opening of the NLCS with my Washington Natio....

I wake up.  I'm disoriented.  It's not happening.  Well some of it is - the party and the Redskins......my Nats are not playing tonight.  They were eliminated Friday night even though they held the outcome in the palm of their hands.

I had been dreaming.   It was a wonderful dream.  And now that dream waits for next year...........

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: It's Sunday
« Reply #1: October 14, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Awsome Post!

Offline Fan037

« Reply #2: October 14, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
Thanks, CALSGR8.  Apparently you're the only one who appreciated it.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #3: October 14, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
 :clap:

Nice post.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: October 14, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »
Fan037   ...   I read it and enjoyed it.   I'm posting only because you may still be in recovery and need the support.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #5: October 14, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »
Speaking of dreams, last night i dreamed the nats traded for giancarlo stanton.  Then i woke up

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #6: October 14, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
Don't tease the animals

Speaking of dreams, last night i dreamed the nats traded for giancarlo stanton.  Then i woke up

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #7: October 14, 2012, 01:35:35 PM »

MDS, is that you?

Offline Fan037

« Reply #8: October 14, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
Fan037   ...   I read it and enjoyed it.   I'm posting only because you may still be in recovery and need the support.

Mitlen - Thank you for posting.  I am still suffering.  If they had knocked us out in a blow-out way, I might accept it.  But we had it, we so had it.  I'll move on but not just yet.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #9: October 14, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
Mike Stanton in DC would be a machine. The Marlins Park destroys the best part of his game and will easily cut into his home run production by 20% a season.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #10: October 14, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »
Sigh. For me it was like taking a downer just when the anit-depressants were starting to kick in.

With all due respect.

Thanks, CALSGR8.  Apparently you're the only one who appreciated it.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #11: October 14, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #12: October 14, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
Mitlen - Thank you for posting.  I am still suffering.  If they had knocked us out in a blow-out way, I might accept it.  But we had it, we so had it.  I'll move on but not just yet.

After every victory, I tried to post Bob Prince and "We had 'me all the way."    I had my finger on the enter key for a lifetime on Friday and never got to depress it.    It's gonna take a while.   

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #13: October 14, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
After every victory, I tried to post Bob Prince and "We had 'me all the way."    I had my finger on the enter key for a lifetime on Friday and never got to depress it.    It's gonna take a while.   

up 7-5, 2 outs, 2 strikes...i had my "bang zoom" post ready to go...but the fireworks never came.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #14: October 14, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
Thanks for the OP. I can't turn on the TV for any sporting event. Went to my grandsons hockey game this morning and will gp to my grandaughters tonight. Not depressed just deflated.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #15: October 14, 2012, 08:20:35 PM »
Excellent post, Fan037.  I felt much the same way.  It's hard to comprehend that both teams in this game were so close to not being there with the Giants having to sweep in Cincinnati to win their series. 

Offline Fan037

« Reply #16: October 14, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »
I know two baseball teams, the Giants and the Unnamed, who are playing tonight.  I have the Sunday night football game on instead.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #17: October 14, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »
Nats Insider already has a countdown clock til pitchers and cathers report.  already counting down the days.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #18: October 14, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
I finished watching something on my DVR and five came on... God, it was like a knife seeing the Cards up 2 zip. Top of the second. To think I should be sitting at Nats Park right now. One pitch.

I'm sure it will fade with time, but it's going to be painful watching the Nats next spring. One pitch. For three hours, almost four, we were guaranteed of the NLCS. 6-0!

Let's say we do make it back next year. It was the Giants for heavens sake. 5 of six we took from them! We had home field advantage! Jesus, we had home field for the WS because of the all-star game! The Tigers are going to be the opponent! One pitch!

With the passing of time, two things have resolved themselves for me. One, Johnson is to blame. He should... no, he had to take Storen out when it was 7-7. We just needed one out. That was horrible to leave him in.

And secondly, I've kept thinking how awesome a time machine would be. I'd give up my ST, best seat in the park. It'd even be worth jail for a few days. Just delay the game one second and everything changes. Whether that means running on the field, throwing a bottle or ball... anything. You delay the game a second, just one second. The pitch thrown, the batters reaction, his swing... One pitch, and this would have been our year. In other words, it's getting more painful as time goes on, not less. And yes, that sounds insane i'm sure. But think about it... Just a one second difference, and that pitch is an out instead of a hit. Argh.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #19: October 14, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »
Another option for Davey would have been to have Storen walk Kozma (who brought in the winning runs with a hit) and load the bases and pitch to the Cardinals closer.  Of course that's fraught with all kinds of problems because the Cardinals could have gone with a pinch hitter.  Or Drew could have been wild and walked in the winning run.  But if the Cardinals let their closer hit, Drew should have been able to retire him.

By the way, the score is now Unnameds 6, Giants 0.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #20: October 14, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »
this is going to be a long offseason and a long regular season.  All that matters is the playoffs and until we get back to crazy cheering, SRO seats, and day of game ticket scrambles I really won't know what to do with myself.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #21: October 15, 2012, 02:17:27 AM »
this is going to be a long offseason and a long regular season.  All that matters is the playoffs and until we get back to crazy cheering, SRO seats, and day of game ticket scrambles I really won't know what to do with myself.

Yeah, like I said... next season is going to be difficult. It's great to say come opening day we'll forget all about this and go back to enjoying baseball. And I will... but: This bitter taste only gets erased when we make it back to the playoffs. And in the NL East, our odds of winning the division aren't set in stone. Wildcard game = suck. Our odds of the best record and thus guaranteed home field advantage are even lower. And best record, NL winning the all-star game, NLCS against a team we'd destroyed 5-1, and the worst AL playoff team in the WS, in all likelihood? damn it all, this was our year. Everything was lined up for a championship.

Don't get me wrong, we kicked ass this year and with Strasburg 100%, next year might be even better. But then, DC last made the playoffs in 1933, nearly 4 decades without a playoff game. Fine, there's a ton of slots now versus then. There's a ton more teams too. Look at the Orioles as an example, first time in fifteen years.

My ultimate point is this isn't going to go away completely until we get back. If we get to the NLDS and lose, fine. But it's not going to be the same until we do. I just wish the Cards had been the ones to take a 6-0 lead on Friday. That guarantee of advancing to the NLCS, seeing the guys ready to run and scream just one pitch from winning with a two run lead. At home? I don't think any other fan base can really understand just how crushing Friday was. I've been thinking this weekend, I'm just a damn fan. I cannot imagine how the players are feeling. If someone had scripted it, you couldn't come up with a more crushing loss. Blowout, then to persevere and still be up two runs one pitch from winning?

Every game I watch next year, I'm always going to be thinking it doesn't mean crap until October and a shot at redemption. If we don't make it back next year, it is going to be some long years as a fan. So long as Strasburg and Harper remain, I'll keep expecting us in October. But Jesus if we don't make it for another 80 years, somebody cut out the part of my brain with memories/info about the Nats please. Even Caps fans can't understand just what us long term, aka since 2005 who endured 100 loss seasons, fans felt and will continue to feel for the next year, and hopefully no longer than that.

Nights like Thursday was are what we all live for, why we are all fans. But Friday night almost makes one long to not care so much about this team and franchise given the crushing pain experienced, pain that is going to linger for, in all likelihood, years.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline Fan037

« Reply #23: October 15, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
Coladar:

You express the pain all of us feel.  The long and the short of it is that everything was in alignment for us to win the World Series this year.  And Drew was one strike away from victory and now we have to wait until next April to start all over again with no guarantees we have the type of magical season we did this year.

I heard on 106.7 this morning that Charlie Slowes (sp?) went home after the last game and sat in a chair until 6:00 a.m. stunned and unable to sleep.  Charlie symbolizes how most of us felt as well.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #24: October 15, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

I heard on 106.7 this morning that Charlie Slowes (sp?) went home after the last game and sat in a chair until 6:00 a.m. stunned and unable to sleep.  Charlie symbolizes how most of us felt as well.

Like the old saying goes, I slept like a baby. I woke up every two hours crying because Storen crap himself on the mound.