Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25943 times)

Offline PC

Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #150: May 07, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »
If Davey wants to keep this ship afloat, he's going to have to be a better manager.  Think outside the box a little.  You're going to have to get something from that lf position offensively.  That's why I go with my good pitcher-bad pitcher platoon.  Moore can mash bad pitchers because a bad major league pitcher is just a bus ticket away from being a minor league pitcher (see Perry, Ryan).  Look at the back end of almost every team's rotation and there's a dog or two there, almost guaranteed (a starting Ryan Perry).  Just reusing the lineup from yesterday because they scored some runs was lazy thinking.

Use Nady for the good pitchers, if he must use him for some reason.   Frankly, I'd rather have Bernadina as the cannon fodder than Nady.

And while we're talking managing style and Ryan Perry, did any reporter ask Davey...WHY?  DEAR GOD, WHY???

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #151: May 07, 2012, 07:44:13 AM »
If Davey wants to keep this ship afloat, he's going to have to be a better manager.  Think outside the box a little.  You're going to have to get something from that lf position offensively.  That's why I go with my good pitcher-bad pitcher platoon.  Moore can mash bad pitchers because a bad major league pitcher is just a bus ticket away from being a minor league pitcher (see Perry, Ryan).  Look at the back end of almost every team's rotation and there's a dog or two there, almost guaranteed (a starting Ryan Perry).  Just reusing the lineup from yesterday because they scored some runs was lazy thinking.

Use Nady for the good pitchers, if he must use him for some reason.   Frankly, I'd rather have Bernadina as the cannon fodder than Nady.

And while we're talking managing style and Ryan Perry, did any reporter ask Davey...WHY?  DEAR GOD, WHY???

This is a nice way of saying that the game has passed Davey by.

Moore should be starting. I don't care that he's awful in LF. We have nothing but 4th/5th outfielders on the bench it seems. Put Moore in LF, Harper in CF, and Ankiel in RF. Harper's athleticism will help cover for some of Moore's deficiencies. Either that, or play Lombo in LF (but really, he should be starting at 2nd base for a bit).

Ryan Perry should be used in mop up duties only. At this point, he should be sent down when Lidge gets back. Or Wang, whoever get's here first.

How this team has the record it does is beyond me, but Davey Johnson is not the reason.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #152: May 07, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »
This is a nice way of saying that the game has passed Davey by.

I'm not a Davey hater yet, but it is kind of funny/sad to watch when he runs out to argue a call, he has a quick first move towards the field to let them know he's coming, then he slows down a bit, then about runs out of gas as he approaches the ump.

Online Slateman

« Reply #153: May 07, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
I'm not a Davey hater yet, but it is kind of funny/sad to watch when he runs out to argue a call, he has a quick first move towards the field to let them know he's coming, then he slows down a bit, then about runs out of gas as he approaches the ump.

Could care less about that. It's the constant use of veterans when we have youngsters looking to produce. It's going to pitchers like Gorzo or Perry when the game is still in question.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #154: May 07, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »
If he doesn't use Perry down by two in a third game once we've already won the series, I don't know when you use him. :shrug:

I guess you could argue that it was the Phillies and national television so you roll your best out there. I'm not really sure who he had available, though.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #155: May 07, 2012, 09:42:28 AM »

That's the way I head to the can in the morning.

Online Slateman

« Reply #156: May 07, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »
If he doesn't use Perry down by two in a third game once we've already won the series, I don't know when you use him. :shrug:

I guess you could argue that it was the Phillies and national television so you roll your best out there. I'm not really sure who he had available, though.

Perry should have been used in the 7 to 1 game on Saturday. He struggles, bring in Burnett.

Offline PC

« Reply #157: May 07, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
Where is Davey Johnson in all of this?  His silence here is disturbing.

Starting Xavier Nady is also disturbing but that's an issue for another day, like tomorrow.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #158: May 07, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »
What do you want him to say? He's probably addressed it privately and that's all that counts. There is no need to tip your hand.

Offline PC

« Reply #159: May 07, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
What do you want him to say? He's probably addressed it privately and that's all that counts. There is no need to tip your hand.

I want him to defend his player for what Hamels SAID.  It would have been more appropriate for Johnson to say what was said than Rizzo.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #160: May 07, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Meaningless.

Online Slateman

« Reply #161: May 07, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
I want him to defend his player for what Hamels SAID.  It would have been more appropriate for Johnson to say what was said than Rizzo.

Johnson is the sage old man. He doesn't do that sort of thing.

He is also probably too busy defending his crappy decision to start Nady over Moore/Lombo

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #162: May 07, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
It's not Davey's job to take on Hamels. That is Rizzo's job, speaking for ownership, letting the league know that the owners are pissed and want Hamels suspended. My guess -- we'll never know -- is that without Rizzo's explosion, the league would not have bothered to suspend Hamels (as painless as it was)

Offline PC

« Reply #163: May 08, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
HELL NO!

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #164: May 08, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »
I just don't know what Davey is thinking anymore. Is he thinking? I don't know.

He refuses to see how Tyler Moore is, refuses to bench players who aren't cutting it, he refuses to pull HRod whenever it's clear he's wild. Why does he think this team will work itself out? There are deep problems with this club that he has to address if they actually want to make the playoffs, and those problems aren't just going to randomly go away one day. He needs to make moves.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #165: May 08, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
I just don't know what Davey is thinking anymore. Is he thinking? I don't know.

He refuses to see how Tyler Moore is, refuses to bench players who aren't cutting it, he refuses to pull HRod whenever it's clear he's wild. Why does he think this team will work itself out? There are deep problems with this club that he has to address if they actually want to make the playoffs, and those problems aren't just going to randomly go away one day. He needs to make moves.

I wish he were more aggressive. You obviously need to switch up the broken pieces Davey.

Offline PC

« Reply #166: May 08, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »
When does the manager lose the clubhouse?

Do the players just like Espinosa better than Lombardozzi and would somehow react badly to sending Espinosa down and starting Lombardozzi?  If that's not the case, they are watching Espinosa's at bats.  They see how much trouble he's having.

Would trying someone else at closer cause mutiny in the clubhouse?

Are Davey and Rizzo making clear, rational decisions that they could explain if they were forced to (which they, sadly, won't be)?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #167: May 08, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
Are you Leo Davidson???

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #168: May 08, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

PC is the best fake troll account ever. There's no way this guy is human. I think it's Chiefs alter-ego just to freak with all of us.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #169: May 08, 2012, 10:42:39 PM »

Do the players just like Espinosa better than Lombardozzi and would somehow react badly to sending Espinosa down and starting Lombardozzi?  If that's not the case, they are watching Espinosa's at bats.  They see how much trouble he's having.

Would trying someone else at closer cause mutiny in the clubhouse?

Are Davey and Rizzo making clear, rational decisions that they could explain if they were forced to (which they, sadly, won't be)?

Davey just doesn't seem flexable- he places guys in certain positions and is blind to either their shortcommings or others potential

Offline ghostface

« Reply #170: May 08, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »
the Espinosa situation is really baffling.  it's not that complicated - he thinks he's a home run hitter but he's not.  i'd bat him 8th and tell him to choke the f""k up when he has two strikes (which is all the time) or he's done.  especially when you have Lombo in the wings who is a perfect no 2 hitter.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #171: May 09, 2012, 12:20:01 AM »
If I were managing this team: I'd play Lombo over Espinosa easily. I'd then look forward to Kobernus' progress and hope to God he speeds up so I can play him at 2nd and move Lombo over to SS. I'd also be playing Moore in LF, Ankiel in CF, and Harper in RF.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #172: May 09, 2012, 12:48:48 AM »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

PC is the best fake troll account ever. There's no way this guy is human. I think it's Chiefs alter-ego just to freak with all of us.

No, I'm actually sportsfan.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #173: May 09, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »
No, I'm actually sportsfan.

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN THESE TWO IN A ROOM TOGETHER????

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #174: May 09, 2012, 12:50:51 AM »
blue, salty, and powerboater

unless they're just imaginary sockpuppet accounts too :stir: