Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 141507 times)

Offline zoom

Re: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP
« Reply #125: July 06, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
rewording question:

would you (asking everyone) be willing to go over slot, to the point of costing a draft pick next year, to sign Giolito?  Knowing that we (as of now) will have a very low first round pick.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #126: July 06, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
no, I'd rather have the pick back in next year's draft and our first round pick. 

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #127: July 06, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
rewording question:

would you (asking everyone) be willing to go over slot, to the point of costing a draft pick next year, to sign Giolito?  Knowing that we (as of now) will have a very low first round pick.

Probably.

Only because I doubt very much we get a shot to take someone as talented as Giolito again.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #128: July 06, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
Probably.

Only because I doubt very much we get a shot to take someone as talented as Giolito again.

That's my feeling as well.

Doubtful the talent next year of two guys will equal out to what Little Gio COULD be.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #129: July 06, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »

Doubtful the talent next year of two guys will equal out to what Little Gio COULD be.

next years pick will be in the same location little Gio was, plus we'll have another first rounder. Unless he fell for no reason, or teams change the way they draft, another guy will fall next year. With high school pitchers, it's enough of a crap shoot that I'd still take two lesser but still first round talents over one higher rated one

Offline zoom

« Reply #130: July 06, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »

i never thought i would feel this way, but i tend to agree.  I would almost go 2 firsts instead of 1, just for the odds.  But with Giolito falling like he did and our current draft position for next year, i think i'd pull the plug.

Offline RD

« Reply #131: July 06, 2012, 09:37:19 PM »
Gio's LOI is only binding at a school that also utilizes LOIs. He can still back out and play JC ball. At least a JC in California.

But I don't really think he's considering that as an option.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #132: July 06, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »
rewording question:

No.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #133: July 07, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
I wish this little prick would just sign already.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #134: July 07, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »
Gaurantee MLB is holding back some of the higher bonus figures so they don't impact other negotiations...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #135: July 07, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
Gaurantee MLB is holding back some of the higher bonus figures so they don't impact other negotiations...

Why would they do that?  The bonus amounts are so highly regulated now it wouldn't seem to matter.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #136: July 08, 2012, 12:52:19 AM »
Why would they do that?  The bonus amounts are so highly regulated now it wouldn't seem to matter.

Us offering Gio 3+ million could make those that were drafted b4 him w/ a slot less than 3 mill want a higher bonus...

Offline zoom

« Reply #137: July 08, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
there is only 4 picks ahead of Giolito that have not signed:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/6/7/3069759/mlb-draft-first-round-picks-signing-tracker

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #138: July 09, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »
I wish this little prick would just sign already.

4 days, 5 hours and 18 minutes left to sign

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #139: July 09, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
4 days, 5 hours and 18 minutes left to sign

I remember Strassburg on Harper when Harper (meaning Boras) was bargaining down to the last hour: if he doesn't want to sign then we don't need him. Let golden rain fall on his head.

...and if Little Gio wants to pitch to Harper and Zimm and the rest, in a couple of years, if he is good enough, then good luck, fool!

Offline zoom

« Reply #140: July 11, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
I am not sure if this has been explained already (if so, sorry) but...

Is Giolito stalling preventing potential signings of draft picks after Rd 10? 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #141: July 11, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »

I'm sure they have some sort of plan mapped out should he be a clear no-sign the day the signing period closes. But there's been no public mention of it.

Offline RD

« Reply #142: July 11, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »

Only the ones that require more than 100k. Avis, Bolt, and Poteet, our 25-27 round selections were considered big talents but hard signs. We can't sign them if we sign Gio, but may be able to land one if Gio goes to college.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #143: July 11, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »
Only the ones that require more than 100k. Avis, Bolt, and Poteet, our 25-27 round selections were considered big talents but hard signs. We can't sign them if we sign Gio, but may be able to land one if Gio goes to college.

hopefully either we have something in place with them already or have given Giolito a hard deadline to give Rizzo enough time to sign them

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #144: July 11, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
Would it be such a bad thing if they sign the 3 guys drafted late with first round(ish) talent in Bolt, Avis, and Poteet, and then get a draft pick next year for failing to sign Giolito? 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #145: July 11, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
Not in my opinion, but I'm in the minority on that

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #146: July 11, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
Would it be such a bad thing if they sign the 3 guys drafted late with first round(ish) talent in Bolt, Avis, and Poteet, and then get a draft pick next year for failing to sign Giolito? 

They probably can't do that without giving up pick(s).  If they lose Giolito's slot money, they'd have about $1 million to spend.  They might be able to get Poteet with that.

Giolito is an historic talent in my view.  I'll be very disappointed if they don't get him signed.  It's like getting a #1 overall draft pick, and a special one at 16.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #147: July 11, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »

Giolito is an historic talent in my view. 

If you're talking about right now, historic talents don't drop to the 16th pick. If you're talking about how he'll develop, maybe, maybe not, there's nothing to say he has a better shot than any pitcher taken above him (or after for that matter)

Offline RD

« Reply #148: July 11, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
If you're talking about right now, historic talents don't drop to the 16th pick. If you're talking about how he'll develop, maybe, maybe not, there's nothing to say he has a better shot than any pitcher taken above him (or after for that matter)

How about the quality of his stuff? he's no less talented than he was 4 months ago, when he was in line to be the first HS right hander taken #1 overall.

I don't know if historic is the right word, but he's a special, special talent. The top pitcher in this draft, whether he needs TJ or not. It would definitely be more disappointing to not sign him, compared to not signing Aaron Crow.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #149: July 11, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »
top high school pitcher doesn't mean much to me- looking quickly back to 2000, of the top HS pitcher chosen in every draft, only three are in the majors- gavin floyd, homer bailey, and kershaw. Account for the fact that bailey sucks, and that's not a great hit rate.

edit, bailey was number 2 his year, the number 1 was Mark Rogers