Author Topic: Non-alcoholic Drinks  (Read 29957 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Soft Drinks
« Reply #50: November 09, 2010, 10:26:37 PM »
I take that as a yes.
I actually don't have a .edu email address at my school.  I believe I could make one but I forget my password for the server that I have to SSH into in order to set it up.

Nephews and nieces and friends' kids get you into Amazon Mom, and you don't even need to supply a name.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #51: November 09, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »
Hardees still has Mellow Yellow on tap

Shopper's on Liberia in Manassas has 12 packs of Mello Yello in cans.

Could it be Hank's soda?

Nah, the bottle isn't that nice.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #52: November 09, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
I actually don't have a .edu email address at my school.  I believe I could make one but I forget my password for the server that I have to SSH into in order to set it up.
Totally OT, but my school's unix servers have the most asinine password requirements I have ever seen.  I spent forever trying to get a new password to work, and it just wouldn't take.  Finally I opened up a live chat with a support tech.  I find out that my password must have EXACTLY 2 uppercase letters, 2 numbers, 1 special character, and the rest lower case, the 2 uppercase letters can't be together and the 2 numbers can't be together, each character can be used only once, and it has to be exactly 8 total characters long.

NOWHERE in the support documentation is this mentioned, in fact it EXPLICITLY states that NO special characters are allowed.  What.  The.  freak.

Long story short, I now have my .edu email address :?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #53: November 11, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »
I hate diet drinks, but for some reason the Clear Splash sodas at Giant are great, and cheap. No sugar, no calories, no sodium, no caffeine, yet it tastes great. And comes in a number of flavors. It's the only soda I buy now.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #54: November 11, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
My ibrik is delivered, according to UPS' tracker.  So I'm going to be trying to make some turkish coffee tonight.

Dear god, there are so many damn different ways to make it according to different people.  Some say boil it, some say don't let it come to a boil, some say stir in the beginning, some say stir the whole time, some say don't stir at all.

This is going to be a disaster :lol:  I wonder what burning coffee smells like?  I'll probably find that out tonight when everything goes horribly wrong.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #55: November 11, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
My ibrik is delivered, according to UPS' tracker.  So I'm going to be trying to make some turkish coffee tonight.

Dear god, there are so many damn different ways to make it according to different people.  Some say boil it, some say don't let it come to a boil, some say stir in the beginning, some say stir the whole time, some say don't stir at all.

This is going to be a disaster :lol:  I wonder what burning coffee smells like?  I'll probably find that out tonight when everything goes horribly wrong.

Can you do the same day courier service from Prime out in your neck of the woods? that would be impressive.

Turkish coffee is sooo good. How do you grind the beans?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #56: November 11, 2010, 08:58:32 PM »
Can you do the same day courier service from Prime out in your neck of the woods? that would be impressive.

Turkish coffee is sooo good. How do you grind the beans?
I don't think so, I did overnight / 1 day shipping.  Ordered late Tuesday night, shipped Wed, came today.

The grind is supposed to be very fine.  Finer than even espresso.  You can buy grinders that you crank manually but they are like $50.  The grinders in most grocery stores do have a turkish setting, though, which is what I plan to use.  I have a conical burr grinder but I don't know that it would go fine enough for turkish coffee.  The whirly blade type grinders don't cut it at all.

I'll take some pics of the finished product if I don't burn my house down :lol:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: November 11, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
it sounds like turkish coffee is the same as arabic coffee?  I had it recently at a Lebanese restaurant and loved it.  They sold the coffee pre-ground, which even though it is vacuum sealed it probably doesn't taste all that great.  I have heard a burr-style grinder will do the trick.

here's a good recipe:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/arabic-coffee.html

It really does have an amazing flavor.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #58: November 11, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
it sounds like turkish coffee is the same as arabic coffee?  I had it recently at a Lebanese restaurant and loved it.  They sold the coffee pre-ground, which even though it is vacuum sealed it probably doesn't taste all that great.  I have heard a burr-style grinder will do the trick.

here's a good recipe:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/arabic-coffee.html

It really does have an amazing flavor.
Looks pretty similar, though I think turkish might not use all the different spices.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #59: November 11, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
let us know how it turns out.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #60: November 12, 2010, 12:27:35 AM »
First attempt.  I see the difference between "foaming" and boiling.  I had the foam going like a pro.  Then on my second heating, it insanely started to boil, so no crema :(

I wouldn't call this the best coffee I've ever had.  But is easily the best coffee I've ever been able to make at home.  I snapped a few pics.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #61: November 12, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
First attempt.  I see the difference between "foaming" and boiling.  I had the foam going like a pro.  Then on my second heating, it insanely started to boil, so no crema :(

I wouldn't call this the best coffee I've ever had.  But is easily the best coffee I've ever been able to make at home.  I snapped a few pics.

I'm hoping you inner Brett Favre didn't go wild.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #62: November 12, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »
:twisted:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #63: November 12, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »
Starting to heat up:

Some crema:

There's the foam!

Lots of foam, time to take off the heat a bit

Some fat dude that snuck into my kitchen and stole my coffee!

Supposedly, you can tell your fortune in the left behind sludge, like tea leaf reading.  Kinda looks like crap.  Maybe that means my life is going to go to crap :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #64: November 12, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »
Picture #2 looks right.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #65: November 12, 2010, 12:57:43 AM »
Picture #2 looks right.
Yeah, that's how it should look when it's done.  It's supposed to foam up with little bubbles, all the way to the top of the ibrik 3-4 times.  But mine got too hot after the first cycle and boiled, killing the crema.  Still tasted pretty good.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #66: November 12, 2010, 01:01:03 AM »
Forgot the finished cup, uncentered, and spills everywhere :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #67: November 12, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Pennsylvania-Dutch-Birch-Beer-Soda/dp/B0002Z20CE/

Only 6 bucks a can! :doh:

I used to drink turkish coffee in the middle of the night in college. You ain't gonna sleep.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #68: November 12, 2010, 01:03:47 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Pennsylvania-Dutch-Birch-Beer-Soda/dp/B0002Z20CE/

Only 6 bucks a can! :doh:

I used to drink turkish coffee in the middle of the night in college. You ain't gonna sleep.
I drank a whole american sized cup too :lol: not a demitasse, so yeah, I wonder what's going to happen.

Honestly, a lot of times when I drink drip coffee, I get real sleepy afterwards.  :shrug:

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #69: November 12, 2010, 01:05:06 AM »
I may have to try some Turkish coffee.  I've have Cuban a time or two and that activated my Go Go Gadget bowel movements.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #70: November 12, 2010, 08:11:03 AM »
Now I want some turkish coffee.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #71: November 12, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
That stuff is not so much a liquid as a slurry.  It's tasty, but the consistency makes me feel like I'm downing a pot of wet cement.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #72: November 17, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
Does coffee go bad?  I really could use a cup at work, but what I found has been opened, sitting in a drawer for maybe a year :lol:

I really don't want to buy it from the vending machine, even if you choose the strongest setting, it's more the color of a english breakfast tea than coffee :spaz:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #73: November 18, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »
It won't make you sick. The taste gets worse over time. By a year or so it usually is unpalatable but you might get lucky. Coffee is best a few days after roasting.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #74: November 18, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »
Tea comment - I tried the Peets Holiday Breakfast Blend.  did not strike me as anything special.  It is pretty full bodied, sweet, no astringent / tannin qualities. The website says it is a blend of second flush Darjeeling (more body, rougher), some tea from Sikkim that is supposed to give it a flowery aroma (I don't really pick it up), and two Chinese teas that give it the sweetness and most of the body (a "toasty and well-seasoned Keemun" and a "syrupy, cedary Yunnan").  If you are familiar with tippy Yunnans, the aroma of the blend is not as distinct a maple or pine when brewed, nor could I pick up the smokey scent of good Keemuns.  My first guess was that it was a different chinese black tea than either Keemun or Yunnan because the aroma was not strong. I also guessed Guranse (Nepal) (you can get that at Teaism) for Himilayan tea.  Visually, it brews pretty dark and the dry leaves have lots of golden tips.

The blend kind of washes out the interesting characteristics of the Yunnan, Keemun, and Darjeeling.  It was disappointing, but if you find the Chinese teas too heavy or to have too strong smoke or wood aromas, then the blend is worth trying. For comparison, it is like a lighter "Pride of the Port" from Peets.