Author Topic: Mets Are Cheap  (Read 1571 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Mets Are Cheap
« Topic Start: August 30, 2009, 08:23:55 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009/08/former-gm-duquette-takes-mets.html

Fall instructional league cut for budgetary reasons. Really? That's just insane.

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Mets Are Cheap
« Reply #1: August 30, 2009, 08:26:01 PM »
terrible organization that is only going to get worse. they have a terrible farm system and very few players on their Major League team that are young and solid.

If the Nats ever get their act together the Mets will be the cellar dwellers of the NL East for the next several years.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: August 30, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
Their GM is responsible for possibly the worst trade in the history of baseball. They have one of the highest payrolls in baseball and have consistently missed the playoffs in recent years. Fall instructional league is the least of their problems.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: August 30, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
Their GM is responsible for possibly the worst trade in the history of baseball.
Which trade?  The Colon to the Expos one?  I thought that was due to the message of impending contraction.

Offline PC

« Reply #4: August 30, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
Blame Bernie Madoff.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: August 30, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »
One of the new books on Madoff says that the Wilpons are going to be forced to sell the Mets in order to raise cash to offset losses through Madoff.  She says the Wilpons' losses are vast, that they've done a good job of keeping it quiet, but that the writing is on the wall.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: August 30, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
Which trade?  The Colon to the Expos one?  I thought that was due to the message of impending contraction.

That's the bullcrap line now conjured up to put history in a revisionist light.  Somebody here, I forget who (natsaddict, kenzafan?) did an excellent job of putting together a timeline of what was known about possible contraction, and when.  Bottom line, by the time the Colon deal was made, Minaya and everyone else knew that contraction was dead.  The union had made it clear where they stood, and congress (Minnesota delegation, in particular) was making noises about the anti-trust exemption, and Selig had already conceded.

« Reply #7: August 30, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
Couldn't happen to a better team. Screw'em.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #8: August 30, 2009, 11:44:45 PM »
One of the new books on Madoff says that the Wilpons are going to be forced to sell the Mets in order to raise cash to offset losses through Madoff.  She says the Wilpons' losses are vast, that they've done a good job of keeping it quiet, but that the writing is on the wall.

MLB is gonna have to take the team. It's so unattractive to any prospective buyer... tons of bad contracts, no farm.

« Reply #9: August 31, 2009, 12:03:58 AM »
MLB is gonna have to take the team. It's so unattractive to any prospective buyer... tons of bad contracts, no farm.

Sounds familiar. I wonder if they'll rape that team too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: August 31, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »

Not true, although it's a bad market to sell into, the team is expected to fetch more than $700m, perhaps $800+.  New stadium, huge media market.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: September 01, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
The reason the Mets may go on the market is because it is the easiest way for the Wilpons to raise 3/4 of a billion if they have to.  It's just a bauble.  There will be buyers.  As long as it is not a big time leverage play, watch out.

Online blue911

« Reply #12: September 01, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks Bernie Madoff is smartest "Ponzi" of all time?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: September 01, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »

It worked out pretty well - aside from the waiting to die in a federal prison thing

Online blue911

« Reply #14: September 01, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »
It worked out pretty well - aside from the waiting to die in a federal prison thing

When you've scammed somewhere between $50-$100B, it isn't like you're doing time in juvie. Guys like Madoff are treated like royalty.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #15: September 02, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »
Unless there are guards who are Mets fans...where's he locked up, anyways?  I assume it's not Leavenworth.

When you've scammed somewhere between $50-$100B, it isn't like you're doing time in juvie. Guys like Madoff are treated like royalty.

Online blue911

« Reply #16: September 02, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »
Unless there are guards who are Mets fans...where's he locked up, anyways?  I assume it's not Leavenworth.

Probably Lewisburg.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #17: September 02, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »
Probably Lewisburg.

Nope haven't seem him around :lmao:

Online blue911

« Reply #18: September 02, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »
Nope haven't seem him around :lmao:

Have you seen the Eugene Luccarelli or Randy Ruger wing of the Bucknell hall of fame?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #19: September 02, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Have you seen the Eugene Luccarelli or Randy Ruger wing of the Bucknell hall of fame?

I've never been to Lewisburg - you just joked once that you thought I was in the pen there.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #20: September 07, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »
Probably Lewisburg.

Tennis anyone ?    The "club" spot to do time.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #21: September 10, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »

Butner Federal Correctional Complex in North Carolina, near Raleigh: http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Madoff/story?id=8080354&page=1.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #22: September 16, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
That's the bullcrap line now conjured up to put history in a revisionist light.  Somebody here, I forget who (natsaddict, kenzafan?) did an excellent job of putting together a timeline of what was known about possible contraction, and when.  Bottom line, by the time the Colon deal was made, Minaya and everyone else knew that contraction was dead.  The union had made it clear where they stood, and congress (Minnesota delegation, in particular) was making noises about the anti-trust exemption, and Selig had already conceded.
I had no idea about this!  That's very interesting, though.  Makes it even more laughable that the Mets are continuing to employ him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: October 22, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
Blame Bernie Madoff.

The trustee overseeing jailed financier Bernard Madoff’s assets said the Mets made nearly $48 million in the Ponzi scheme. Trustee Irving Picard said in a bankruptcy filing Tuesday that the Mets Limited Partnership profited from an original investment of about $523 million. A total of about $571 million was withdrawn from the accounts.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2009/10/22/espns_phillips_admits_to_affair/

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #24: October 22, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2009/10/22/espns_phillips_admits_to_affair/

Those who made money off Madoff are getting sued by those who lost money. Mets are still in some trouble.