Author Topic: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1  (Read 17225 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Nationals vs Mets, Game 1
« Reply #325: July 20, 2009, 09:24:59 PM »
This team is the equivalent of that colon cleanse stuff they sell on late night tv

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #326: July 20, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
Sinking further into the abyss.  No bottom in sight.

Did any of you see the Brendan Fraser movie Journey to the Center of the Earth where they fall inside a volcano and he turns to his friends while they are falling and says "WE'RE STILL FALLING!"?  That's us right now.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #327: July 20, 2009, 09:27:14 PM »
What other team should I root for so that I have a dog in this year's pennant chase?

Mets?  No.
Phillies?  No.
Marlins?  No.
Cubs?  HELL NO.
Cardinals?  Perhaps....
Brewers?  Perhaps....
Astros?  Probably (but they aren't going anywhere)
Giants?  No.
Rockies?  No.

Dodgers it is.

hammondsnats will welcome you with open arms.  :lol:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #328: July 20, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
This team is so profoundly uncompetetive.  I don't know how it's possible to be this bad.

You have to try to be this bad. And that is what they have been doing. It starts at the top. The ownership is content to be bad, plain and simple. This team is as it was designed.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #329: July 20, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »
Riggleman seems surprised that the Mets had cheap hits, despite playing such an awful infield.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #330: July 20, 2009, 09:33:29 PM »
I did some quick calculations, and before tonight's game the Nats have had 1125 base runners this year (8th in the entire MLB), and have scored 392 runs (20th) with 733 LOB (1st).  Or in other words, 34.84% of our base runners score (29th, SD is the worst at 34.58%).

How is that even possible.  Is situational hitting that different than just hitting?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #331: July 20, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »
Riggleman seems surprised that the Mets had cheap hits, despite playing such an awful infield.

Ah HA!  See!  You're NOT too drunk........yet.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #332: July 20, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
Ah HA!  See!  You're NOT too drunk........yet.

Ha, I'm sitting here crying and typing my meessages over and over because I hate to make typos even when I"m inthe bag.  I'm going to go put on a Jackson Browne album and shoot myself.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #333: July 20, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »
And we have to put up with this moron asking stupid questions in the postgame.  :evil:

Offline fan

• If Yost becomes Manager, I am done w/ the Nats.
« Reply #334: July 20, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »
Does anyone know if Martin kicked Dibble's dogs or something.  He absolutely hated this kid immediately. 

I agree that he didn't look good, but his reasoning in that "we are more worried about winning bc we suck" is backwards.  If you want to see if young players can hang in the majors or be kept around, isn't Martin the perfect case of someone you would like to test? 

Definitely looks like a reliever.  Dibble failed to point out that he threw strikes and induced ground balls (more as his nerves calmed down).  I'd say those are good things, no?

I guess saying Dibble is wrong or misguided in his opinions often is an easy position to take, but tonight it bothered me more than others. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #335: July 20, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »
He had a terrible defensive team behind him, and he did recover a bit to throw a couple of good innings.  Obviously he's going to get additional starts to settle down and show what he can do.

Offline fan

• If Yost becomes Manager, I am done w/ the Nats.
« Reply #336: July 20, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
He had a terrible defensive team behind him,
But he had Austin Kearns who Bob Carpenter says is one of the most feared RF'ers in the league....

ppppp

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #337: July 21, 2009, 02:40:59 AM »
If the plan was to start Austin Kearns everyday, we should have kept Elijah Dukes and started him every day. Kearns shouldn't be stealing starts from him.

« Reply #338: July 21, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »
You have to try to be this bad. And that is what they have been doing. It starts at the top. The ownership is content to be bad, plain and simple. This team is as it was designed.

This "motto" is becoming as tired as the "We are better than what we have been playing" motto this team has adopted. If the team is indeed "trying" to be losers then that falls strictly on the players. Yeah, the FO put the team together, but even the most talentless and brainless jocks who make up the garbage pile of the MLB still try to keep themselves relevant and on a Major League team. It's self preservation.

The problem is, while we certainly have our choice of trash on the team, our supposed "good players" who are well paid, have their names on countless jerseys and shirts, and have no reason to complain are mailing it in as well. That falls strictly on them. I've been saying it all freaking season: the players will be the ones to determine where this franchise goes this season and they have failed on every level possible.

I feel no pity for them at all.

EDIT: And since they screwed the pooch last night, I get to keep my hair.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #339: July 21, 2009, 09:03:40 AM »
Who are our supposed 'good players'
But he had Austin Kearns who Bob Carpenter says is one of the most feared RF'ers in the league....

ppppp

Kearns scares the hell out of his own pitcher, decent defense, but you know that one spot in the lineup you're not getting offense help from. Since when is RF a primarily defensive position?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #340: July 21, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
Announced attendance 19,169...first time we've had less than 20K in the house since the Reds finale on Thursday 11th June (19,703)...and first time since Tuesday 18th September 2007 at RFK that we've had less than 20K in the house for a Mets visit (19,966) - in fact it's the lowest we've drawn for a Mets visit since the match before that one (Monday 17th September: 18,678).

Previous Nationals Park low for a Mets visit was this past 5th June (20,353 on a Friday).

Already the wind-down to the end of another train-wreck season has begun...with the team stinking to high heaven, Redskins camp opening in a bit over a week, Metrorail wonkiness, no more A-list opponents like the Cubs or Red Sox visiting*, and continued weather issues (at least 'scattered thunderstorms' predicted all the way through Saturday), tickets for the rest of this homestand and for foreseeable series thereafter should be quite easy to get - I wouldn't be surprised if we don't crack 30K again the rest of the season.

*Closest thing to it on the remaining fixture list would be the final series against the Braves, a weekend series running 25th/26th/27th September with two afternoon matches...the final visits of the Mets and Phillies are weeknight series, and the Nats will be idle (between home stands against the Marlins and Phillies) on Labour Day, the last remaining in-season holiday (and what brainiac in the league office made that scheduling hiccup?).

« Reply #341: July 21, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »
in fact it's the lowest we've drawn for a Mets visit since the match before that one (Monday 17th September: 18,678).

The Mutts suck this year so all their bandwagon fans are keeping well away.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #342: July 21, 2009, 09:21:48 AM »
The Mutts suck this year so all their bandwagon fans are keeping well away.

I noticed that last night - they weren't representing like they usually do (although they still made up a fair proportion of the matchgoers who did turn out).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #343: July 21, 2009, 09:34:57 AM »
If the plan was to start Austin Kearns everyday, we should have kept Elijah Dukes and started him every day. Kearns shouldn't be stealing starts from him.
It's not.  Dukes still wouldn't be playing everyday.  Riggleman said he'd be getting all the regulars a day off during this home stand.  Kearns will get a couple of starts during that process.  He won't be getting any regular or every day starts, even if he does start 3 or 4 days in a row, he'll get the next week off.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #344: July 21, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
but even the most talentless and brainless jocks who make up the garbage pile of the MLB still try to keep themselves relevant and on a Major League team.

Exactly. You have to try to be this bad. 40 games below .500? Ridiculous. It started with a culture of losing at the top, no accountability for crappy play, and has resulted in a crew of mediocre players not coming to the game to play. That combined with a joke of a pitching staff assembled by this FO and you have what you have. The '62 Mets were a joke - a collection of old parts and retreads. In a sport where the best team typically loses at least 60 games and the worst team wins at least 60 games, to be on the pace to to lose well over 110 games almost requires an effort to do so. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #345: July 21, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »
What other team should I root for so that I have a dog in this year's pennant chase?

Mets?  No.
Phillies?  No.
Marlins?  No.
Cubs?  HELL NO.
Cardinals?  Perhaps....
Brewers?  Perhaps....
Astros?  Probably (but they aren't going anywhere)
Giants?  No.
Rockies?  No.

Dodgers it is.
I have a fondness for the Cardinals' organization (especially since they beat the Mets in '06), and they're anti-Cubs.

Go Cards!

Offline blue911

« Reply #346: July 21, 2009, 10:07:21 AM »
Exactly. You have to try to be this bad. 40 games below .500? Ridiculous. It started with a culture of losing at the top, no accountability for crappy play, and has resulted in a crew of mediocre players not coming to the game to play. That combined with a joke of a pitching staff assembled by this FO and you have what you have. The '62 Mets were a joke - a collection of old parts and retreads. In a sport where the best team typically loses at least 60 games and the worst team wins at least 60 games, to be on the pace to to lose well over 110 games almost requires an effort to do so. 

When Milledge showed up late for a meeting prior to opening day, they didn't sit him. When Zimmerman blew off last Wednesday's practice, they didn't sit him. The front office lets the inmates run the asylum.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #347: July 21, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »
I have a fondness for the Cardinals' organization (especially since they beat the Mets in '06), and they're anti-Cubs.

Go Cards!

I really dislike LaRussa. A lot.

« Reply #348: July 21, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
When Milledge showed up late for a meeting prior to opening day, they didn't sit him. When Zimmerman blew off last Wednesday's practice, they didn't sit him. The front office lets the inmates run the asylum.

You'd think that being a professional you wouldn't need someone holding your hand as you cross the street all the time.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #349: July 21, 2009, 11:17:49 AM »
I'm going to start a review of sorts of each game, after the game.

I'll call it.... The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Edition numero uno

The Good

Tyler Clippard - 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. I think the numbers say it all. What really helped Clippard last night was his ability to actually locate a fastball early in the count. I actually saw him throw a curveball for a strike as well. I really do think it may have been a first for him this season.

Josh Bard - 2/4, 2 2B, 2 RBI. Bard usually looks really good at the plate, or really bad. Last night he was the only one that could figure out the riddle that was Livan.

The Bad

JD Martin - Not a pretty first start. I'll withhold judgment until after start number two later in the week. What I did see though was a flat fastball and a curveball that hung when it was up in the zone.

Cristian Guzman - Only Nat outside of Nyjer Morgan to go hitless. Combine that with his usual lazy play and he gets a mention on this list.

The Ugly

Jim Riggleman's lineup - Come on Jim, you have to give the team a fighting chance. Batting Ronnie Belliard second and Austin Kearns sixth practically gave the game to the Mets before it even started.