Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 70733 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #325: April 04, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
I've seen a few of his games, I'm just not sold on taking him over other guys.  He has a pretty high ceiling, I'll give you that much, but I just don't see it coming together for him.  Give me Purke, Hultzen, Jungmann, Bundy, or JBJ over him at pick 6 (not necessarily in that order).  I'm not saying there is not a rationale for taking him at 6, but personally I wouldn't want it.

I agree with this.  But I'd say that I'd probably take Gray over Purke - less flameout potential. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #326: April 05, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
I came across this site that has lots of scouting reports - can't vouch for quality, though.

http://baseballbeginnings.com/

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #327: April 06, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
I came across this site that has lots of scouting reports - can't vouch for quality, though.

http://baseballbeginnings.com/

I've linked to them in the past. They are good with videos

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #328: April 06, 2011, 06:05:27 PM »
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/4/5/2093065/college-hitters-for-2011-draft-part-one

College hitters review from Sickels.  There is a guy at Utah who is hitting .476/.536/.780 with 9 walks and only 6 K's in 82 at bats.  If he could play 1B, that's a big time masher.  Might only be an option for an AL team, though, if he can't play the field.

I could see us taking Dickerson with the Dunn supplemental pick.

JBJr still sticks out to me as an obvious choice for us.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #329: April 06, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
http://5tooltalk.com/2011-notes-4-5-11.html

And here are some notes on JBJr. and Alex Meyer - the really tall thin pitcher from Kentucky who throws in the mid-high 90's but has some control issues.

Offline RD

« Reply #330: April 06, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
I like JBJ but it looks like he's not gonna be a value pick at 6 either. I thought 5 was the highest he'd go anyway, and a slightly down season and nothing amazing physically probably keep him out of the top ten. Saw one with him on the board to 24 ... If he's there at 23, I think he's snatched up by us. He fits the mold of a 'baseball player' we've been targeting. Guys who can play defense and hit and just get the job done, even if they don't standout in any one category.

In looking at one of those lists, Taylor Featherston from TCU seems an awful lot like all the middle infielders we selected last year. Tools sound similar, and he's from Texas to boot - All of Martinson, Kelso, and Hague were as well.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #331: April 06, 2011, 08:06:23 PM »
JBJ is batting .299/.426/.588 with 6HRs. Last year he was .368/.473/.587 with 13HRs.

Not sure how this decrease stacks up with other batters. I know offensive numbers are way down across the board because of the new bats.

Edit: UVA only has 7 HRs for their whole team this year. Wow.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #332: April 06, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
Isn't JBJ coming off a surgery of some kind?  Possibly a hamate removal?

Offline RD

« Reply #333: April 06, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
I thought he had the surgery before last year? Could be wrong.

Im not saying Bradley is having a terrible year and sliding.

I just meant that even if he had a better season than last year, 5/6 was his best case scenario.

Since his season is a bit down, even if only slightly, I think it puts his stock right about where it should be - picks 10-20.

The value on arms and the amount of college arms, along with the depth of the draft, make him too much of a reach at 6 IMO.

Still locked in on a power arm IMO.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #334: April 06, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
Yeah, just looked it up.  Hamate injury was last year, he came into this year with a hamstring injury.  Apparently, he just injured himself yesterday lifting weights and has mild back strain.  The injury history certainly makes him less desirable.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #335: April 06, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
Yeah, just looked it up.  Hamate injury was last year, he came into this year with a hamstring injury.  Apparently, he just injured himself yesterday lifting weights and has mild back strain.  The injury history certainly makes him less desirable.
Or more likely to be available later in the draft...

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #336: April 07, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
http://www.bullpenbanter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=404:net-gains-from-the-2006-draft&catid=18:articles&Itemid=11

I thought this was an interesting article.  It looks at the 2006 draft - WAR produced and the associated dollar value (4.5 million per win) measured against the cost to sign the draft picks. 

That Nationals, having not produced a single player, are at a -100%.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #337: April 08, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
Pulled this from Diamondback's reporter Nick Piercoro:

We’re still nearly two months away from draft day, but the three names I’m hearing most often for the Diamondbacks at No. 3 are UCLA right-hander Gerrit Cole, Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon and Virginia left-hander Danny Hultzen. People with other teams seem to believe those three – perhaps in that order – will be the top three picks in the draft.

At No. 7, there are a lot of different ways the Diamondbacks could go, but a few names I’ve heard them connected to are Oklahoma high school right-hander Dylan Bundy, Vanderbilt’s Sonny Gray and South Carolina high school right-hander Taylor Guerrieri.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/124759

Offline RD

« Reply #338: April 08, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
I find it hard to believe that a writer is hearing specific names at each spot at 3 and 7, at this point. I understand hearing a bunch of names - and the names generally fit. If you work in a front office and are throwing out specific names at each pick at this point already, then you;re not going to have a job very long. Still think among that group its Gray at 3 and Hultzen at 7.

At 7, the DBacks have a lot of work to do. Without the compensation, the player is going to have extra leverage at the spot. HSers would be tough b ecause they have college to fall back on. Anyone sliding is going to command top 5 money, and will they actually pay that dollar amount after having to pony up that type of money for the 3rd pick?

Maybe they think Hultzen would come at a slight discount for the typical 3rd pick, giving them a little extra cash at 7? Even though Hultzen is growing on me, I still don't see him as the 3rd best player in this draft.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #339: April 08, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
 Not my words, I just posted what this reporter heard. There usually is not much surprise, besides a Tony Sanchez here and there, in the top 3 or 4 picks anyway, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that is how the top 3 picks ended going.  :shrug:

Offline RD

« Reply #340: April 08, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
The top picks usually get settled, but much closer to the draft. Not 2 months away.

And this year, could be a bit different.

Certainly, Rendon and Cole grade out as the top two.

After that, we've heard at different times, Purke, Hultzen, Bradley Jr, Springer, Jed Bradley, Starling, Daniel Norris, Gray, Bundy, and Jungmann as potential top 5 picks. The depth of this years draft makes it a bit more difficult to project.

With two months left, guys like Gray and Jungmann have established themselves firmly in the 3-7 range, Bradley Jr and Springer have probably fallen out, Purke has something to prove, Starling, Norris, and Bundy could potentially go, and Hultzen and Jed Bradley are riding hot seasons up the chart. So there's still a lot to be decided IMO to focus on one or two names at one spot, and one or two four spots later.

Offline RD

« Reply #341: April 08, 2011, 11:49:15 PM »
Another BA chat:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/chat/2011/2611546.html

Nothing Nats related, but comments involving some guys we've talked about.

Jim Callis: There's no consensus No. 3, but there are more prospects than usual worthy of that pick, if you know what I mean. On the pitching side, Sonny Gray, Jed Bradley and Danny Hultzen are among the contenders. Among position players, options include Bubba Starling, Francisco Lindor and George Springer. There's a lot of buzz right now that the Diamondbacks love Hultzen at No. 3.

Jim Callis: I really hadn't thought about this yet—there's so much talent it makes your head spin. My 3-5 would be Jed Bradley, Bubba Starling and maybe Francisco Lindor. Sonny Gray is right there, too.

Jim Callis: I am not a major league scout. But I can tell you that Gray's fastball-curveball combination is as good as any in this draft, and don't bet against him as a starter despite his small frame.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #342: April 09, 2011, 01:25:40 AM »
ScoutingtheSAL

Just returned home from seeing Hultzen and all I can say is WOW!

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #343: April 11, 2011, 09:17:05 AM »
Have heard the Nats are interested in Jed Bradley as one option for their first pick

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #344: April 11, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
sounds good to me.  another big strong college lefty.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #345: April 11, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »
http://scoutingthesally.com/2011-major-league-baseball-draft-prospect-jed-bradley-georgia-tech/

found this scouting report.  includes a video.  comments that he may be the third best lefty after purke and hultzen.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #346: April 11, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
Hultzen is the the other guy I've heard. My gut tells me he may be off the board when the Nats pick

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #347: April 11, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »
i'm a fan of hultzen - his k/bb ratio is really really good.  bradley - it looks like the current results aren't quite as good now but is more 'projectable' and has 'upside' for whatever that's worth.

bradley looks to fall more within the rizzo m.o., though.  better beef, right?

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #348: April 11, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »
i'm a fan of hultzen - his k/bb ratio is really really good.  bradley - it looks like the current results aren't quite as good now but is more 'projectable' and has 'upside' for whatever that's worth.

bradley looks to fall more within the rizzo m.o., though.  better beef, right?

Bradley's body type, mechanics and pitches seem to fit Rizzo's mold.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #349: April 11, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »
brian - what do you mean by mechanics?  i understand about the body type and pitches.  but have you noticed any specific aspect of pitcher mechanics present in other rizzo draftees?