Author Topic: Nationals @ Diamondbacks, Game 2  (Read 18106 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals @ Diamondbacks, Game 2
« Reply #250: May 31, 2008, 10:04:46 PM »
lol god what was that, like an 80 minute game?

Offline PC

« Reply #251: May 31, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
One thing you need to learn is if a pitcher has good off-speed stuff that you know you can not hit, and he throws a fastball strike on first pitch, well you swing.

The problem is that most of Webb's first pitches weren't good pitches to hit.  And later in the at-bat, especially later in the game, there were better pitches to hit from Webb.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #252: May 31, 2008, 10:07:23 PM »
1 hour 52 minutes according to Don, but I don't see how.  I thought first pitch was 8:40?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #253: May 31, 2008, 10:07:40 PM »
1 hour 52 minutes according to Don, but I don't see how.  I thought first pitch was 8:40?
8:10

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #254: May 31, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
Who cares he sucks. We need to switch him and Perez for Mock and Clippard.

Not true, he's been one of our best pitchers.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #255: May 31, 2008, 10:11:21 PM »
He is too inconsistent IMO

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #256: May 31, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
Absolutely. You could argue that since we have recalled him he has been our best starter.

His numbers since being called back up: 27.2 IP 19 H 4 R 4 ER 6 BB 30 K (1.30 ERA, .90 WHIP, 9.76 K/9)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #257: May 31, 2008, 10:13:07 PM »
He is too inconsistent IMO

He had one rough patch... read sportsfan's post.

« Reply #258: May 31, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »
Four dingers = efficiency. :lol:

Only Jason Bergmann and only the Washington Nationals.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #259: May 31, 2008, 10:14:50 PM »

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #260: May 31, 2008, 10:15:36 PM »

First Complete Game of the year for Nationals pitchers.  Bergmann did give up 4 runs but he went the distance and with any type of offense at all we would have been right in the game.  It's not Jason's fault that our offense is worthless.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #261: May 31, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »
First Complete Game of the year for Nationals pitchers.

Roy Halladay has 5 so far
We had 0 all of last season

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #262: May 31, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
smfh. that was WOEFUL. we bent down and bowed to webb. didn't hit a single ball hard all night.

other than the 4 beach balls berg served up he was pretty solid lol.

hopefully we can steal one from haren ONLY if zimmerman, dukes, and flores are starting and there are no signs of mackowiak and langerhans in the lineup. frankly, freak langerhans. he's a bum. apparently according to langerhans himself, he's swinging the bat better than he ever has.  :shock: could've fooled me. three words: CAREER.MINOR.LEAGUER.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #263: May 31, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
Outside of Bergmann (kind of), Milledge is the only guy that deserves a positive mention for this one. I liked what I saw out of him tonight.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #264: May 31, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

Oh come on.  You can't pretend he didn't pitch a great game other than the solo shots.  Yes 4 homeruns is a bit alarming, but it's not like he was otherwise pitching like crap.

I know your stance on the matter, but considering tonight's matchup, our terrible offense, and Bergmann's otherwise solid pitching, I'm willing to give him a pass this time and reserve any judgement until his next outing.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #265: May 31, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »
i don't think berg really deserves any praise. fact is, he gave up FOUR homers. he's lucky they were solo shots or else he could've easily given up 10 runs.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #266: May 31, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »
smfh. that was WOEFUL. we bent down and bowed to webb. didn't hit a single ball hard all night.

other than the 4 beach balls berg served up he was pretty solid lol.

hopefully we can steal one from haren ONLY if zimmerman, dukes, and flores are starting and there are no signs of mackowiak and langerhans in the lineup. frankly, freak langerhans. he's a bum. apparently according to langerhans himself, he's swinging the bat better than he ever has.  :shock: could've fooled me. three words: CAREER.MINOR.LEAGUER.

Langerhans is awful but Pena and Mackowiak are worse.

Please let Flores and Zim be in the lineup tomorrow. Haren has been garbage lately but I'm sure he'll get back on track tomorrow just like Webb did tonight.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #267: May 31, 2008, 10:23:38 PM »
Holy freaking crap.  I had to go somewhere, and I really didn't expect this game to be over by like 10 pm.

I totally agree with sportsfan - freak our offense.  4 runs given up by a pitching staff, in general, is LEAGUE AVERAGE.  Why wasn't that enough for a win?  Because our offense is BELOW LEAGUE AVERAGE.

In fact, it's so freaking bad that it's HISTORICALLY PITIFUL.  Take a freaking clue, front office - your team's offense is a freaking joke.  They're on pace to set some sort of modern record for worst OPS+ (a totally nerd-loving yet critical stat) known to man.  I don't think a team has been so futile at the dish since the Mets of the early 60's!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #268: May 31, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »
i don't think berg really deserves any praise. fact is, he gave up FOUR homers. he's lucky they were solo shots or else he could've easily given up 10 runs.

I think the point is that there never was anyone on base for a reason. He might have only made 5 mistake pitches around the plate the whole game.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #269: May 31, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »
Our post-game pressers are so embarrassingly low budget :?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #270: May 31, 2008, 10:25:42 PM »
Lucky they were solo shots? What? Bergmann did a great job of keeping the D'Backs off the bases. He walked NONE. Bergmann could have given up 0 runs in 9 innings tonight and we still would have lost.

Jesus, Bergmann has been phenomenal since coming back.  He's given up zero runs 3 TIMES and in the other start he pitched a Complete Game.

« Reply #271: May 31, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »
Oh come on.  You can't pretend he didn't pitch a great game other than the solo shots.  Yes 4 homeruns is a bit alarming, but it's not like he was otherwise pitching like crap.

I know your stance on the matter, but considering tonight's matchup, our terrible offense, and Bergmann's otherwise solid pitching, I'm willing to give him a pass this time and reserve any judgement until his next outing.

This is the same reaction and bit of excuses people gave the last time Bergmann rose and then crashed. I find it hilarious because it's true what they say: History truly does repeat itself. :lol:

Come on now, we were facing a formidable pitcher in Webb. Even if our offense was awake, were you really expecting to get four or five runs off him that easily? I don't believe so, it would of been a close game and if that was the case, the attitude of everyone around here would be extremely different if Bergmann gave up four jacks.

No matter how much you try to cut the mustard: four home runs in one game is anything but a positive or efficiency. Now the question is: has Bergmann been shaken or can he rebound? His next start will be one to watch.

And don't get on my case. I didn't even want to post the Beachball pic. People asked me. I think I've been more than fair.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #272: May 31, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »
I think Chief hit it head on.  If the hitting had bothered to show up tonight, we would have had a chance.  It's unfair to put that much pressure on your pitchers.  It's unreasonable for them to have to pitch a perfect game just to keep us IN the game.  Yes, I hated seeing those 4 homers.  But calling him inconsistent or calling it a bad outting is simply not accurate or fair.

« Reply #273: May 31, 2008, 10:32:56 PM »
I think Chief hit it head on.  If the hitting had bothered to show up tonight, we would have had a chance.  It's unfair to put that much pressure on your pitchers.  It's unreasonable for them to have to pitch a perfect game just to keep us IN the game.  Yes, I hated seeing those 4 homers.  But calling him inconsistent or calling it a bad outting is simply not accurate or fair.

Really, Kim? What would you call it then? If Odalis Perez gave up four homers in a game, what would you call it?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #274: May 31, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »
It's unfair to put that pressure on ANY of our pitchers.  Four runs should have been manageable for us to come back against.  Maybe just a minut point, but one of those should have been an out.