Author Topic: Ridiculous Usher Behavior  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Ridiculous Usher Behavior
« Reply #25: September 02, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »
I've been to more than a 100 or so games at the park and have been treated with the utmost respect by the ushers. Never had a problem.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #26: September 02, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »
I always sneak into better seats, and the one time an usher caught me, he made a snarky remark as I left the section. I really didn't appreciate that. Ushers are much more militant about checking tickets this season than they were last season.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #27: September 03, 2012, 02:23:28 AM »
Can't you get arrested for that?  I'd count my blessings.  Not saying I've never moved closer, but it's a risk.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #28: September 03, 2012, 02:33:02 AM »
I've definitely moved closer. But games were hardly half capacity.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #29: September 03, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
Can't you get arrested for that?  I'd count my blessings.  Not saying I've never moved closer, but it's a risk.
Seriously, arrested? I've never gotten caught though I just hang around an usher to see if he's the type to check your ticket before I go int empty seats. During less populated games the crowd compacts anyway in the 100s and no one knows where there original seat is anymore, so I doubt an usher could yell at you in that situation.

But if it is a crowded game I don't jump seats.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #30: September 03, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »
I doubt you can get arrested. Thrown out of the Park maybe, but the D.C. Police are not going to arrest you for it.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #31: September 03, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
I went to yesterday's game, and I made the point to thank the usher in advance telling her I and other fans appreciated her efforts to keep fans from walking up and down the stairs until the inning was over.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #32: September 03, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
I happens at CitiField http://gothamist.com/2012/08/06/cop_banned_from_citi_field_for_chan.php, though I'm certainly not sure there's even a DC law on the books for it.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #33: September 03, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure they can toss you from the park for anything. But I never show them my real ticket, so they can't prove that I was sneaking down.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #34: September 03, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »
I went to yesterday's game, and I made the point to thank the usher in advance telling her I and other fans appreciated her efforts to keep fans from walking up and down the stairs until the inning was over.

Bravo on actually talking to the ushers and giving them some love. But I think the rule is between batters not innings. I prefer the latter myself.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #35: September 03, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure they can toss you from the park for anything. But I never show them my real ticket, so they can't prove that I was sneaking down.

If you won't show them your ticket I think they will be on to you.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #36: September 03, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
So before you sneak into a section, you check if the usher is looking for tickets at the entrance. If he's looking at tickets, you don't sneak into that section.

Now, if you are sitting in a seat that isn't yours, and the usher asks to see your ticket, that is when you get up and move to the other side of the ballpark. You can say something like "oh, this is 108, not 109?" or "uh, I left my ticket in the bathroom, hold on", but you just want to get out of there ASAP.

Offline miller10

« Reply #37: September 03, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »
Or you just sit in the seat you paid for and enjoy the game like a person who isn't entitled. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #38: September 03, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
Seriously, I've been attending games since '05.   Don't usually sit in the same section and I've never had a problem.   I chat 'em up when I get there and act civilized (when I can).   Plus, I roam around a lot.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #39: September 03, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »
Or you just sit in the seat you paid for and enjoy the game like a person who isn't entitled. 

Yup - I was complaining because I was doing nothing wrong and got naged at. If you get caught sneaking up to better seats, sack up and take the abuse.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #40: September 03, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
Nowadays I wait in the pack of fans behind the stop sign and then enter when those fans go to their seats. I usually sit in the row that has like 8 straight empty seats because odds are none of them were bought.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #41: September 03, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
Nowadays I wait in the pack of fans behind the stop sign and then enter when those fans go to their seats. I usually sit in the row that has like 8 straight empty seats because odds are none of them were bought.

Make sure there is no trash. That confirms it usually especially after the 4-5th inning.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #42: September 04, 2012, 07:37:02 AM »
So before you sneak into a section, you check if the usher is looking for tickets at the entrance. If he's looking at tickets, you don't sneak into that section.

Now, if you are sitting in a seat that isn't yours, and the usher asks to see your ticket, that is when you get up and move to the other side of the ballpark. You can say something like "oh, this is 108, not 109?" or "uh, I left my ticket in the bathroom, hold on", but you just want to get out of there ASAP.

I'm sure they've never heard that. :roll:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #43: September 04, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »

Sitting in a empty section or row by yourself is also an indication that you did not buy that seat either.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #44: September 04, 2012, 07:47:49 AM »
The usher in the aisle serving TBSITH has almost always been the same guywho does it exactly as it should be...doesn't routinely check everyone's tickets (the neighbourhood has a large STH population) but does make sure people don't head down the aisles during at-bats and always heads to the bottom of the aisle during breaks to keep the shutterbugs out. Just the basics with nothing high-handed.

(This is a major difference between Nats Park and Verizon Centre [the 400's anyway] - at Nats Park we get the same usher almost every matchday while at the Phone Booth they are changed constantly. Check out a Wizards matchnight in the 400's sometime to find out just how disorganised it can be.)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #45: September 04, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »
OC - I deleted the name in case what he is doing is not by the book.  you probably intended to praise him by the tone, but no need to flag for management in case there is an issue.  Feel free to put the name back in if you meant it to be there.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #46: September 04, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
OC - I deleted the name in case what he is doing is not by the book.  you probably intended to praise him by the tone, but no need to flag for management in case there is an issue.  Feel free to put the name back in if you meant it to be there.

You have a point there.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #47: September 04, 2012, 12:25:50 PM »
Sitting in a empty section or row by yourself is also an indication that you did not buy that seat either.

I've never had one confront me. I don't think the ushers at Nats Park really even care anymore.

Offline porculator

« Reply #48: September 07, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
Ushers/event staff were removing fans near the bullpen last night for saying anything towards the Cubs' bullpen, didn't matter what.  I sit there a lot and have never experienced that.  It was surreal, like we were at a tennis match or something.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #49: September 07, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
Any other night, you can probably get away with more, but you don't need some drunk moron saying something about Carlos Marmol's wife and getting things stirred up even further.