Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 168707 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1275: July 10, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
12 Monkeys is excellent.

i saw it in the theatre and hated it. I thought it sucked but that was a long time ago.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1276: July 11, 2013, 02:42:31 AM »
How Premium Rush has a 76/61 rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I'll never know. Michael Shannon was the best thing in the movie so that probably gave it a boost. JGL is a pretty good actor too but damn this story and writing felt so cheesy.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1277: July 11, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
American version of Oldboy

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1278: July 11, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
American version of Oldboy

holy crap that looks awesome.

brolin has made a good career for himself.  obviously goonies #1.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1279: July 11, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
the conjuring looks so friggin good.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1280: July 11, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
the conjuring looks so friggin good.
No it doesn't. It looks like a super generic haunted house movie.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1281: July 11, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »

Hey, I like those!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1282: July 11, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
Pacific Rim looks awesome.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1283: July 11, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »

the reviews for it have been very good.  you should read more 8)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1284: July 11, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
About time Disney made a movie about...Disney...

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1285: July 12, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Pacific Rim looks awesome.
I know a guy who saw it and he seriously flipped out over how much he loved it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1286: July 12, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
I know a guy who saw it and he seriously flipped out over how much he loved it.

I haven't heard a bad thing about it.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1287: July 12, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »
SHARKNADO was epic

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1288: July 12, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
SHARKNADO was epic

Son of a nag!!! I meant to DVR it. Was it as good as MegaPiranha?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1289: July 12, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »

Son of a nag!!! I meant to DVR it. Was it as good as MegaPiranha?

haha.  those corny movies are awesome.

raptor island comes to mind.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1290: July 12, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
SHARKNADO was epic

Damn it, I was popping back from the dead to post just this. This is amazing to me, Sci-Fi (I refuse them their moronic SyFy renaming) produces a ****load of epic **** each year in this exact same vein. Hell, they had a marathon of other idiotic shark movies all day yesterday surrounding this.

There was zero promotion. What's more, their godawful weekly movies screened on Saturday nights for as long as I can remember, and they *just* moved them to Thursdays a month back. But for some reason, Sharknado has taken the world by storm with less than zero promotion. I'm flabbergasted.

Anyways, reason for posting is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I never laugh at something I read, but this... gold. All the more when you consider who wrote it.

Damon Lindelof: "I am going to write the Sharknado sequel and I am going to do it before Shaknado is over."

Screw trillions of military R&D wasted - let's send Kim Jong-Un a Sharkpocalypse of Sharknados. Snowden? Snowed in as a Sharklizzard descends on the Moscow airport, more like it.

I wonder if Carson Daly thanks god everyday that he didn't marry Tara Reid. How the mighty have fallen.

My vote? Lindelof writes, Abrams directs, Samuel L Jackson stars. Turns out when he got chomped in Deep Blue Sea, his mind became one with the shark because of their genetic tampering for an Alzheimers cure. The past decade has seen good ol' Sam as the Shark Lord, and now he leads the genetically altered sharks to land with a freak storm. And it better be in 3d this time, damn it.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #1291: July 12, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
I can't believe so many people watched (or wanted to watch) Sharknado. I never watch SyFy and watched it on a whim. It was pretty bad, although one of those funny bad movies. I watch a lot of bad movies and it was up there.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1292: July 12, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »
I can't believe so many people watched (or wanted to watch) Sharknado. I never watch SyFy and watched it on a whim. It was pretty bad, although one of those funny bad movies. I watch a lot of bad movies and it was up there.

That's why people watched it. It's more entertaining to laugh at how bad movies are made. Look at The Room. It's hilariously bad but it has a huge cult following.

I love watching SyFy movies on their premier nights. I watched Arachnoquake with my roommates last year. We made a party out of it.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #1293: July 12, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
That's why people watched it. It's more entertaining to laugh at how bad movies are made. Look at The Room. It's hilariously bad but it has a huge cult following.

I love watching SyFy movies on their premier nights. I watched Arachnoquake with my roommates last year. We made a party out of it.

The Room has a great RiffTrax from the guys of MST3K. Fans of Sharknado and The Room should also check out Birdemic. It's unbelievably hilaribad.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1294: July 12, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »
Cobra sucks. It's a Golan-Globus action flick, so that is to be expected, but it sucked in the unentertaining and boring way, like The Hero and the Terror, rather than the over the top hilarious stupid way of Invasion USA.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1295: July 13, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
So I wasn't even able to get through Sharknado Thursday night - too awful to sit through it all at once. Finished it today... wtf? How in the name of God does this tripe get green lit, financed and produced? It's a Saturday and I'm bored, but don't waste anymore time on this horrid film by reading further. It all boils down to: Worst movie in the history of mankind. Battlefield Earth has nothing on this puppy.

I truly understand the term 'mind blowing' for the very first time. Those final 30 minutes, I felt ready to lose consciousness from the inane absurdity of it all. I wish they'd share whatever they were on when they were filming, because it has to be some mind-bendingly good sh!t. I imagine I spent more time ripping this film apart writing this than they did making it, but c'est la vie. If for any reason you would care, spoilers ahead.

Bomb tornadoes? Oh, of course. Why didn't we think of that before? Tiny canisters of propane = dead tornado. And even deader sharks. I loved it... Sharks all over, three tornadoes hitting downtown LA. Idea to 'bomb tornadoes' by flying helicopters into them, which upon the intelligence of such a plan being questioned, they respond, 'What other option do we have?' Yes, truly, what else makes sense but to fly helicopters into tornadoes of sharks and throw propane canisters lit by flares. That is the only option, obviously. Duh.

What I love more? Big bad ass hurricane hitting LA, sharks infesting the streets. Meanwhile, at its very worst they show people in goddamn outdoor swimming pools going about business as usual. Liquor stores open and running. Because in the midst of even a tropical storm, clearly retirement homes have their peeps swimming casually like on a nice summer day. Awesome message sent too - steal cars, break through police barricades, then run from the f***ing police now chasing you! Of course the vehicle you stole has a nitrous booster button, so buh-bye, coppers!

The ending? I knew they were going to have crazy girl end up surviving after being *eaten by a freaking shark from a helicopter in a tornado thousands of feet in the air.* I mean come on, isn't it obvious that any one of a dozen variables there don't mean instant death?

So instead, hero dude gets eaten by the same shark, now on the ground, that eats crazy girl in the air. With a freaking chainsaw, only to pop out with girl in tow. And the love triangle there isn't too creepy, is it? Hero dude loves crazy girl. Hero dude's son is the same age as the chick he's banging. Then in the final minute the chick ends up with her beau's son for no reason. Nope, not creepy or disgusting in the slightest.

But despite all that, one thing drove me nuttier than all the insanity - there's making camp and cheesing it up, that's one thing. When they have crazy girl go on about being a little girl who went out to sea with her grandad and four others? Masterful storytelling right there folks. Goddamn sharks ate her grandpa! Now, finally, revenge is hers! Except... She then details being rescued by the coast guard in helicopters. Not five f***ing minutes later she's in a helicopter with hero dude's son to bomb the shark filled tornadoes, looking scared to death. Hero dude's son looks over and says, 'First time in a chopper, huh?' 'Yeah,' she responds meekly.

There's parody/moronic, unrealistic camp. Long as people watch it, it'll get made. But to put two scenes back to back like that... Leaving both in the final cut? My god. Obviously there are studios just handing out free money, so where can we sign up? A homeless crack addict could have written, directed and starred in this piece of excrement and have it be more watchable. A goddamn chimp could have made a better film - screw a thousand typewriters over a thousand years. One chimp, one hour - 'Idjsnsk' would be infinitely superior, at the very least make more sense, than Sharknado.

The most depressing part of all, a Google showed the guy behind this made Boo a few years ago. Horror films largely suck for the same reasons as Sharknado, but I remember Boo as a pretty decent take on a haunted hospital. The blaxploitation actor plot was pretty cool, if memory serves. How you go from that to this blows my mind.

My occasional rants on NBC Universal being the biggest pile of dung in modern entertainment - any network funding and airing crap like this on a weekly basis needs to die. Any Sci-Fi network is the only hope of risky, unproven but totally innovative and wild concepts by young writers/directors, the next Firefly/Whedon/Abrams/Whatever on a shoestring budget. Or use what little money is available for these types of projects into Sharknado, and Blast Vegas or whatever the hell the name of this week's masterpiece is. Speaking of, I see Frankie Muniz is starring in Blast Whatever... Good grief, I thought it was an epic fall even for Tara Reid to 'star' in one of these. How does a promising young actor go from Malcolm to this? His career is done for, obviously.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1296: July 13, 2013, 09:14:03 PM »
The True Grit remake reruns well.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1297: July 13, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
CONDENSED VERSION
...Sharknado... Worst movie in the history of mankind....

But forgot to apply the use of spoilers.
Don't assume everyone else has seen it, or that they want you to tell them everything that happens.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1298: July 16, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »

looks really good

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1299: July 16, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »
despicable me 2 was very good.