Author Topic: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 3  (Read 14838 times)

Offline Mr Clean

Re: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 3
« Reply #525: July 24, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »

He pinch ran for Bernadina in the first game. Stole second, third and home.

OK I get it. If he is so bad they won't use him, why is he here?

« Reply #526: July 24, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
OK I get it. If he is so bad they won't use him, why is he here?

Because, as Davey said, he wants a guy with a hairy chest sitting by him in the dugout. Stairs not only has a hairy chest, but a hairy back and bottom as well.

Yes, Stairs sucks. Can't hit, run or play the field. But we're stuck with him. He isn't going anywhere IMO.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #527: July 24, 2011, 07:59:17 PM »
enjoy the long flight home and off day after a 3-6 road trip against a division rival and two crappy teams.

Offline PC

« Reply #528: July 24, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
I don't think so.  I've never heard them report any other pitcher's outing (particularly a seven inning one) as a "no-hitter except for x inning."  If he hadn't allowed any baserunners after the first they might have said something like "he was perfect outside of a sloppy first inning."

...Aaand he's coming back out for an eighth ,so you may be right.

From Kilgore's post game report:

LOS ANGELES – Early Sunday afternoon, the Washington Nationals had created for themselves a perfect start. After they sent four batters to the plate, they had scored a run and a runner stood on each base with no outs. They knew a cross-country flight loomed at night, and a pleasant trip already seemed certain. That, of course, was before they made 27 outs without a hit.

Rather than salvaging their first road trip of the second half, the Nationals instead found a new, mind-numbing way to lose during a 3-1 defeat to the Los Angeles Dodgers. After their fast start, the Nationals produced one base runner the rest of the game, a walk by Jayson Werth in the fourth inning. Remove those first four hitters, then, and the Dodgers, led by starter Chad Billingsley’s seven innings, would have no-hit the Nationals.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #529: July 24, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
I was sort of banking on the Nats getting another hit sometime within the next two innings.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #530: July 24, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
what a crappy road trip.

« Reply #531: July 24, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
what a crappy road trip.

Against two bottomfeeders.

Offline PC

« Reply #532: July 24, 2011, 10:57:39 PM »
You know, it just occurred to me.  We saved Clippard and Storen "until we got a lead" (that never came) yesterday and they also didn't pitch today either.  

So, Henry Rodriguez pitched as much as Clippard or Storen in this series, though pitch count he pitched more, 31 pitches in his one inning, 21 pitches in Clippard & Storen's two combined innings.  FYI, those 31 Rodriguez pitches, 12 were strikes, Cippard and Storen's 21 pitches, 15 were strikes.  :?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #533: July 25, 2011, 09:38:27 AM »
You know, it just occurred to me.  We saved Clippard and Storen "until we got a lead" (that never came) yesterday and they also didn't pitch today either. 

So, Henry Rodriguez pitched as much as Clippard or Storen in this series, though pitch count he pitched more, 31 pitches in his one inning, 21 pitches in Clippard & Storen's two combined innings.  FYI, those 31 Rodriguez pitches, 12 were strikes, Cippard and Storen's 21 pitches, 15 were strikes.  :?

That's the frustrating thing about H-Rod. One outing he's absolutely filthy and unhittable, the next he's unhittable because he's nowhere near the plate. As aggravating as it is, with his lack of options, it might almost be worth keeping him until the end of spring training next season. If he hasn't straightened out, cut bait, but on the off chance he puts it together...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #534: July 25, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
remember when we had a 3-6 road trip :hang:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #535: July 25, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
remember when we had a 3-6 road trip :hang:

This last one?