Author Topic: John Lannan is a better man than I'll ever be  (Read 17284 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: John Lannan is a better man than I'll ever be
« Reply #325: December 17, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
I might give him a courtesy clap his first time here.

If you gave him the courtesy clap, then he would have a right to be mad.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #326: December 17, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »
Best of luck John, sorry it had to be the Filthies

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #327: December 17, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
If he's wearing a Phillies uniform, I will boo him. Any other team I would have given him the doubt.

If you were demoted at your job and then fired, you would never consider working for a competitor? :lmao: at him owing it to the fans.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #328: December 17, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
Warmly. 

Warmly, but only  the first time.   First time, he's a former Nat. After that, he's a Philly.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #329: December 17, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
Warmly, but only  the first time.   First time, he's a former Nat. After that, he's a Philly.

Basically.  He'll be booed off the field in the same game if he pitches well against us or hits any of our guys :lol:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #330: December 17, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
If you gave him the courtesy clap, then he would have a right to be mad.

he'll get a nice ovation the first time he walks out on the mound, then he'll be booed.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #331: December 17, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »
If you were demoted at your job and then fired, you would never consider working for a competitor? :lmao: at him owing it to the fans.

Of course, I would consider working for the competitor. It's a business and he has to take care of his career.

He doesn't owe us anything. And we don't owe him anything except a courteous reception his first time back. After that, he's one of them.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #332: December 17, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »

I'm glad to see some people get it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #333: December 17, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »
Other than T-Plush and Milledge, I can't think of any former Nats I would actually boo.  I always politely applaud when Livo, Rausch, and any of our other alums take the field (don't get me wrong, I also applaud loudly when they get lit up).   I might wear a "phuck filly" shirt to games, but I can't really see taking the hate to a long-suffering former Nat. 

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #334: December 17, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
I'm glad to see some people get it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A lot of people feel that way.  I think the thing you said that rubbed people the wrong way was the part about Lannan should limit his options out of deference to the fans of the franchise that shafted him. 

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #335: December 17, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »
Other than T-Plush and Milledge, I can't think of any former Nats I would actually boo.

He's out of baseball, but I'd put Felipe Lopez on that list for sure. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #336: December 17, 2012, 12:55:26 PM »
I would boo Lo Duca. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #337: December 17, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »
Other than T-Plush and Milledge, I can't think of any former Nats I would actually boo.  I always politely applaud when Livo, Rausch, and any of our other alums take the field (don't get me wrong, I also applaud loudly when they get lit up).   I might wear a "phuck filly" shirt to games, but I can't really see taking the hate to a long-suffering former Nat. 

dukes?

• babble on
« Reply #338: December 17, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »
Hmmm.  Hard call.  I'm not sure what I would be clapping or booing for anyways..."excellent highway sign, Elijah, we just need 20 more before you go on kp"

dukes?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #339: December 17, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
I don't know whether I'd cheer or boo fat ronnie. He was pathetically bad, but he was also kind of endearing

• babble on
« Reply #340: December 17, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »
Damian Jackson was possibly even less interested in playing than F-Lop.  Plus he was a dick.  I'd probably boo him now.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #341: December 18, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
It's still weird that Lannan will be with the Phillies next year.  He must have a chip on his shoulder that he chose to go there instead of a bigger ballpark where he might have put up better numbers. 

I remember various Redskins players going to Philly and NY just so they could play against the Redskins.  Brian MItchell.  Maybe Arrington and Antonio Pierce? 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #342: December 18, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »
I have to admit - I certainly don't have anything against him nor will I boo him, but I will not applaud or cheer Lannan at all (to my chagrin).

I refuse to ever cheer anyone wearing a Philly uniform on principle.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #343: December 18, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »
It's still weird that Lannan will be with the Phillies next year.  He must have a chip on his shoulder that he chose to go there instead of a bigger ballpark where he might have put up better numbers. 

or maybe it was an offer he couldn't pass up for a team that is going to contend. 

i don't know why so many people think there is some backstory or some conspiracy to him going to philly.  it's a business.  leave it alone.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #344: December 18, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
I don't know whether I'd cheer or boo fat ronnie. He was pathetically bad, but he was also kind of endearing

He was kind of a donk, but I'd cheer him just for the walkoff against the Orioles.

Offline blue911

« Reply #345: December 18, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
Ronnie is one of my favorite Bad Nats. He could hit a little, had a decent arm and great hands. Shame he had the range of a fire hydrant

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #346: December 18, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
Kevin Correia got two years, $10 million, yet Lannan got one year, $2.5 million? Minnesota screwed themselves. Lannan is a superior pitcher to Correia and he was cheaper.
Didn't he make like 5 million last year?
With incentives, Lannan can make up to $5 million with the Phillies.  It sounds like he took the offer that could potentially pay him the most money. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/12/15/john-lannan-agrees-to-one-year-deal-with-the-phillies/

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #347: December 18, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
A lot of people feel that way.  I think the thing you said that rubbed people the wrong way was the part about Lannan should limit his options out of deference to the fans of the franchise that shafted him. 

That's not what I was trying to say. I said that IF he cared about the fans then he would not gone to the Phillies. Given that he doesn't care about the fans (and, according to you, actually holds a grudge against the franchise) then why should we owe him anything than a courteous reception his first time back.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #348: December 18, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »
That's not what I was trying to say. I said that IF he cared about the fans then he would not gone to the Phillies. Given that he doesn't care about the fans (and, according to you, actually holds a grudge against the franchise) then why should we owe him anything than a courteous reception his first time back.

You seem to equate fans with franchise

Offline PebbleBall

« Reply #349: December 18, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »

Seriously, what makes you think he doesn't care about the fans?  It's possible for him to care about the fans and move on to the best opportunity available, he has to make the best choice for his future.

Also:

according to you, actually holds a grudge against the franchise

Quote the part where I said he holds a grudge against the Nats.