Author Topic: Magic Number: Angelos can suck it and like it  (Read 27638 times)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Re: That Magic Number: 17 (11 WC)
« Reply #250: September 09, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »
As long as the Nats are in first place, they need to focus on the first magic number and ignore the second.  The last thing we neediest for our team to lose the division lead because the team coasts "after they clinch a playoffs spot."

I'm pretty sure they're focused on the division.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #251: September 09, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
At times like these, I wonder if MDS has an opinion about your opinion.

My opinion is that people that dwell on this jejune nonsense probably haven't gotten laid since the Clinton Administration, if ever.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #252: September 09, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that will happen just because some guys on the internet are posting the WC magic number.

:funny:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: That Magic Number: 16 (9 WC)
« Reply #253: September 10, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
Bump. Liking it!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #254: September 10, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #255: September 11, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
My opinion is that people that dwell on this jejune nonsense probably haven't gotten laid since the Clinton Administration, if ever.

Sadly, you're right in my case. It's stupid and assinine for me to insist that there aren't two wild cards. I don't think it's stupid for the Nats to set their sites on holding on to first place.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #256: September 11, 2012, 12:42:45 AM »
Had your nuts even dropped when he first got elected, son?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #257: September 11, 2012, 01:05:20 AM »
i'm growing increasingly concerned that philly will make the wild card.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
That's an awful thought!!

~brainworm~

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
Every game we play from the 14th on is against someone who thinks they are a contender for the post season....after all the Brewers are tied with the Fillies right now for the 2nd play-off spot....

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #260: September 11, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
Sadly, you're right in my case. It's stupid and assinine for me to insist that there aren't two wild cards. I don't think it's stupid for the Nats to set their sites on holding on to first place.

So Eddie, I see that the thread title has been updated to reflect the full array of possibilities.  This way, the reader and place weight appropriate with his/her own judgement. 

I don't think there's any concern that Nats are focused on anything else but winning the division at this point.  No team would put making the wild card play-in game as remotely as valuable as a division title, given the elimination of one of the two teams immediately, a 50% haircut to the overall probability of winning it all.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Every game we play from the 14th on is against someone who thinks they are a contender for the post season....after all the Brewers are tied with the Fillies right now for the 2nd play-off spot....

...except that the Brewers, despite having won their last four away series, have a poor away record overall - 28-43; in the NL only the Astros, Cubs and Rockies have been worse on the road. They have 11 left at home and 10 away - but that away series is 10 in a row (Pirates/Nats/Reds, in that order).

Offline loshjott

Reds have a lower magic number to clinch their division than the Nats (12 vs. 15), but Nats have a lower magic number to clinch a playoff spot. (9 vs. 11)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.

Guess which team is in the perfect spot to prevent it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Guess which team is in the perfect spot to prevent it.

Humm....does it weigh more than a duck?

That's it - the Nats!

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
Humm....does it weigh more than a duck?

Burn it!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Virtual waiting room...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Got my four tix for each of the LDS games, infield box because dugout box was sold out. Outfield gallery for the wild card as a hedge just in case it happens. For some reason it would not let me buy tickets to the tie breaker, but since there is virtually no chance that we'll play that game who cares.

Oops, just realized that if we end up tied with the Braves there will be a tie breaker game. For some reason I was not given an option for that game, oh well, if it happens I'll get in the door one way or the other.

Offline MorseTheHorse

a 50% haircut to the overall probability of winning it all.

More than a 50% haircut, b/c even if you win the play-in, you are down your best pitcher for game 1 and 2 at least. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
More than a 50% haircut, b/c even if you win the play-in, you are down your best pitcher for game 1 and 2 at least. 

And in the case of the Nats we're already short a pitcher based on a self inflicted wound.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
And in the case of the Nats we're already short a pitcher based on a self inflicted wound.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Aaron Crow?

Offline Clever

Magic number for 2nd place is 5.

Offline houston-nat

Division will be 13 in about a half hour.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Division will be 13 in about a half hour.