Author Topic: You can just feel it. This is where.....  (Read 8499 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: You can just feel it. This is where.....
« Reply #50: May 23, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
Been away for a few days and I'm always amused that every downturn gets the Legion of Doom reaching for the cyanide.

Offline kravi

« Reply #51: May 23, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »
I'm actually having fun. Like pretty much the whole baseball-watching world I never expected the Nats to do well this year. But I enjoy the small-ball, I enjoy the pitching and the defense. Is the hitting worse than it should be? Without a doubt. But since the pitching/defense is much better than expected, for me it balances out.

I think most people just see the good pitching/defense and that allows them the illusion that "we could be contenders, if only our hitting was up to par". But if our hitting improved, somehow our pitching/defense would slide. We're destined to be, at best, a .49x team this year (at best, mind you), so enjoy it for what it is.

--Me

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #52: May 23, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
I'm actually having fun. Like pretty much the whole baseball-watching world I never expected the Nats to do well this year. But I enjoy the small-ball, I enjoy the pitching and the defense. Is the hitting worse than it should be? Without a doubt. But since the pitching/defense is much better than expected, for me it balances out.

I think most people just see the good pitching/defense and that allows them the illusion that "we could be contenders, if only our hitting was up to par". But if our hitting improved, somehow our pitching/defense would slide. We're destined to be, at best, a .49x team this year (at best, mind you), so enjoy it for what it is.

--Me

I wrote this morning about yesterday's loss being the most frustrating kind of loss, but then talked about how if the offense got going the pitching would falter or how that happened in previous years, but I don't think that will be the case and here is what I said.

At this point in 2010 the Nationals had used seven starters (Lannan, Marquis, Stammen, Mock, Hernandez, Olsen, Atilano). So far in 2011 the Nationals have only needed five starters. This is the biggest reason the starting pitching has looked good. Last season when the Nationals suffered injuries or ineffectiveness from starters they had to rely on non-prospects like Luis Atilano and J.D. Martin. If the Nationals decide to send Lannan to the minors again or suffer an injury the most likely person they would call up is Cuban defector Yuniesky Maya who currently has a 3.80 K/BB ratio and has given up 0.7 HR/9. These are good stats and deserving of a shot in the majors, but not good enough to force anyone out of the rotation, and Maya isn’t the only player performing in the minors.

In seven starts Tom Milone has a 14.67 K/BB ratio and 0.8 HR/9 and at the age of 24 those numbers are enough to warrant a call-up at some point. Brad Meyers has also done well at AA and AAA and in nine starts has 54 strike outs and just one walk. At 24 and 25 Milone and Meyers might be nearing the end of being considered prospects, but they are better options than the Nationals had in the past. If the Nationals are struck by injuries or underperformance the players called-up this season might be a pleasant surprise more than simple replacement level players.

Offline kravi

« Reply #53: May 23, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »
I wrote this morning about yesterday's loss being the most frustrating kind of loss, but then talked about how if the offense got going the pitching would falter or how that happened in previous years, but I don't think that will be the case and here is what I said.

Sure, if our offense does pick up and our pitching/defense doesn't take a hit, great! more power to us. But being disappointed in the team because the season is going exactly as expected, and at least has the entertainment from good small ball (rather than losing every game 11 -4 due to bad defense +errors), well, I can't complain, really.

--Me

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #54: May 23, 2011, 11:17:27 AM »
Who was the donk who was saying how awful the Brewers are and that we are going to roll them?

They have won three in a row and are 8-2 in their last 10 games. Their ace is on the mound tonight. Looks like an easy three game sweep for them.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #55: May 23, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
Their ace is on the mound tonight. Looks like an easy three game sweep for them.

Gallardo is their ace?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #56: May 23, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
Gallardo is their ace?

Until Grienke pitches like Grienke.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #57: May 23, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
Until Grienke pitches like Grienke.

He's is facing our lineup tonight... Sooooo

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #58: May 23, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
He's is facing our lineup tonight... Sooooo

Wednesday. And if I were Jim Riggleman I would find some clippings of Grienke turning down the Nationals and put them in every players locker. Also Nyjer Morgan's comments about Milwaukee.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #59: May 23, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
Oops... that's right.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #60: May 23, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »
It doesn't really matter though.  Gallardo and Grienke are both shaky at best.  With our luck though we'll get shutout and/or no hit.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #61: May 23, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
Who was the donk who was saying how awful the Brewers are and that we are going to roll them?

They have won three in a row and are 8-2 in their last 10 games. Their ace is on the mound tonight. Looks like an easy three game sweep for them.

Wasn't that you SF? Don't you have a bet with Linty regarding the Brewers?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #62: May 23, 2011, 11:41:17 AM »
Wasn't that you SF? Don't you have a bet with Linty regarding the Brewers?
Nope, he wouldn't take my bet.

Gorzelanny is going to get raked tonight.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #63: May 23, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
Nope, he wouldn't take my bet.

Wow! You refused to take my bet and he refused to take your bet. That makes Linty worse than SF.  :lol:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #64: May 23, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
LaRoche needs to go on the DL and get this shoulder thing taken care of once and for all.  I remain flabbergasted that we signed him with knowledge of this shoulder injury.  While I understand not re-signing Dunn because of the cost, I can't believe we'd give Willingham away to sign an injured player.  What a tremendous disappointment.  Rizzo has some explaining to do here.

Can someone tell me where the information is available that we signed La Roche knowing about his labrum.I thought it happened in early ST.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #65: May 23, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
I'm pretty OK with how this season has gone overall.  Still on pace to win 75ish games.  Still on the right track.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #66: May 23, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
Earlier this season the Brewers were swept at Nats Park...then went to Philly and took two of three from the Phillies, including a 9-nil pasting with Halladay starting (ripped him for 6 earned runs in 6 2/3 innings).

It all depends on which Brewers team turns up tonight...and which Nats team turns up tonight.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #67: May 23, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »
I'm pretty OK with how this season has gone overall.  Still on pace to win 75ish games.  Still on the right track.

I'm annoyed with the hitting, but hopeful that the team will improve when they

- drop Matt Stairs

- put LaRoche on the DL

- find a pinch-hitter who can hit .250

- find a temporary 1B who can hit .240

- get Ryan Zimmerman back...mid-July?

The starters are good enough. Zimmermann is a talented rookie who will learn how to pitch

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #68: May 23, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »

No he won't.

In other news, I had a dream regarding this team again. In the dream I missed about 3-4 innings of play so I decided to check out the score on gameday. While looking at the box score I noticed we had Hunter Pence on our team as well as a bunch of no name pitchers and Clippard. Pence and Clippard hit bombs and I noticed we scored 3 runs. I go to turn the tv on and I see we're playing the Blue Jays... The score is 81 - 3 the Blue Jays. I don't even know how its possible but somehow our team gave up 81 runs in two innings. By the end of the game/dream we lost 81-53. It was weird as hell.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #69: May 23, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »
No he won't.
Why not? He's been awful two starts in a row now. Ryan Braun owns him

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #70: May 23, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »

You say he will, I say he won't. He could've gone longer against the Mets. I don't see him preforming like he did against Florida. Braun is the only player batting above .300 against Tom. Everyone else is below .300, except for Wil Nieves :lol:

I can see Braun having a good night but that doesn't mean Gorzelanny will necessarily get raked.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #71: May 23, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »

True, but he owns Fielder (.200/.250/.233), Hart (.185/.233/.444), and is good against Weeks (.182/.379/.318).

Offline PC

« Reply #72: May 23, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »
Can you feel it now?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #73: May 23, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »
Can you feel it now?

how about now?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #74: May 24, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
You know what, yes - I feel it.  I feel the doom and gloom and 100 losses a year for the next 10 years and the end of baseball in DC.  Worst team everrrrrrrr!

OK wait - never mind.  I feel 75 or so wins this year, even without LaRoche.