Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Reynaldo Lopez, RHP  (Read 33117 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow the Prospects: Reynaldo Lopez, RHP
« Reply #100: June 08, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »

What? Oh, you mean traded? I don't see any moves happening, sadly, but either way, I think the Nats (& the scouting community) are really high on him.
No, promoted.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #101: June 08, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »
No, promoted.

P-Nats? He's with Harrisburg though? IDK what he meant by "be a Nat."

Offline Slateman

« Reply #102: June 08, 2016, 11:41:42 PM »
P-Nats? He's with Harrisburg though? IDK what he meant by "be a Nat."

Oh, I thought he was in high A ball

Offline Matugi

« Reply #103: June 09, 2016, 08:58:55 AM »
If you want a bat you're gonna have to give up Lopez to get it

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #104: June 09, 2016, 10:20:06 AM »
Another 7IP 13K perfomance.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #105: June 09, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
If you want a bat you're gonna have to give up Lopez to get it
If he is pitching like this, in Double A or triple A, by the trade deadline, the Nationals should be able to leverage Lopez and minor parts for a rather substantial bat without giving up Giolito or Turner.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #106: June 09, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
If he is pitching like this, in Double A or triple A, by the trade deadline, the Nationals should be able to leverage Lopez and minor parts for a rather substantial bat without giving up Giolito or Turner.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  Lopez is the most expendable of all our prospects, while Giolito and Robles are the least.  Any trade for a bat at the deadline will center around Lopez and possibly Fedde or Goodwin

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #107: June 09, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »
Even if you take Giolito off the board, between Fedde, Voth, and Lopez the Nationals have some guys they can move. You don't have to have elite prospects to make a move. Brad Peacock, AJ Cole, Tom Milone, and Robbie Ray have turned into good trade pieces for the Nats.

I am happy with the pitching in our system. Wish the hitting was up to par.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #108: June 09, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
Yes, that's what I'm saying.  Lopez is the most expendable of all our prospects, while Giolito and Robles are the least.  Any trade for a bat at the deadline will center around Lopez and possibly Fedde or Goodwin

I disagree. Lopez could be extremely valuable. The way he's developed, he's looking like Syndergaard. At worst, he's Betances. I'm not willing to give up Lopez without a really, really good and long term piece. We're going to want a Lopez when Gonzalez and Scherzer start their expensive decline. Particularly if you want to compete in a post 2018 NL East.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #109: June 09, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
I disagree. Lopez could be extremely valuable. The way he's developed, he's looking like Syndergaard. At worst, he's Betances. I'm not willing to give up Lopez without a really, really good and long term piece. We're going to want a Lopez when Gonzalez and Scherzer start their expensive decline. Particularly if you want to compete in a post 2018 NL East.

If Gio keeps it up he might not be here next year.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #110: June 09, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
I'm not saying he's untouchable, but I want more than Ryan Braun or Carlos Gonzalez in a trade involving Lopez. To me, you give up middling prospects for guys with big deals, as taking on the deal is the big win in the trade (like with Papelbon). The last thing I want to do is repeat what the Blue Jays did with Dickey or the Padres with Kemp.

If we're trading Lopez in a package, with his stock up this high, I'd expect to be getting back a Christian Yelich, Gregory Polanco, George Springer, or Nomar Mazara type player

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #111: June 09, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
I'm not saying he's untouchable, but I want more than Ryan Braun or Carlos Gonzalez in a trade involving Lopez. To me, you give up middling prospects for guys with big deals, as taking on the deal is the big win in the trade (like with Papelbon). The last thing I want to do is repeat what the Blue Jays did with Dickey or the Padres with Kemp.

If we're trading Lopez in a package, with his stock up this high, I'd expect to be getting back a Christian Yelich, Gregory Polanco, George Springer, or Nomar Mazara type player

This. Lopez has taken a step forward this season, fixing almost everything that scouts were worried about. The BA midseason update should be pretty telling.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #112: June 09, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »
This. Lopez has taken a step forward this season, fixing almost everything that scouts were worried about. The BA midseason update should be pretty telling.

This. Still needs to work on the change, but even it is better and more consistent then it was at the end of last season.

Pitcher A in Double A: 54.0 IP 11.50 K/9  2.00 BB/9  1.33 HR/9 3.00 ERA 3.36 FIP
Pitcher B at Double A: 56.2 IP  11.12 K/9 3.34 BB/9  1.11 HR/9 3.97 ERA 3.65 FIP

A is Syndergaard. B is Lopez.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #113: June 09, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »
This. Still needs to work on the change, but even it is better and more consistent then it was at the end of last season.

Pitcher A in Double A: 54.0 IP 11.50 K/9  2.00 BB/9  1.33 HR/9 3.00 ERA 3.36 FIP
Pitcher B at Double A: 56.2 IP  11.12 K/9 3.34 BB/9  1.11 HR/9 3.97 ERA 3.65 FIP

A is Syndergaard. B is Lopez.   
How do you know he needs to work on his change?  Have you been in touch with the scouts?  You didn't even know he was in Harrisburg.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #114: June 09, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
How do you know he needs to work on his change?  Have you been in touch with the scouts?  You didn't even know he was in Harrisburg.

Haven't seen any recent scouting reports, but that was the big knock. You can see he has some command issues with the FB and curve (albeit after 12 Ks :) ) in this video. Can't find anything beside a blurb about his pitching performance. http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=792189783&topic_id=&sid=milb&tcid=vpp_copy_792189783&v=3

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #115: June 09, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »

He forms an opinion and uses select advanced metrics to justify his opinion.  Geography is optional...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #116: June 09, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »
Haven't seen any recent scouting reports, but that was the big knock. You can see he has some command issues with the FB and curve (albeit after 12 Ks :) ) in this video. Can't find anything beside a blurb about his pitching performance. http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=792189783&topic_id=&sid=milb&tcid=vpp_copy_792189783&v=3
Probably tired by that point.
Most likely an optical illusion but that fastball "hops" just like I saw in Potomac last year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: June 09, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »
He forms an opinion and uses select advanced metrics to justify his opinion.  Geography is optional...
The Slate Method.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #118: June 09, 2016, 05:56:44 PM »
Probably tired by that point.
Most likely an optical illusion but that fastball "hops" just like I saw in Potomac last year.

Yup. You can see his arm dropping a bit (he's usually at a higher 3/4 slot). I wish these cameras were better... That one fell down hahaha

Offline Slateman

« Reply #119: June 09, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »

I've seen him pitch. Its a show me change. Which isn't terrible, but he needs to work on control.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #120: June 09, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
That curve missed it's spot, but damn, it had some serious movement. Easy to get excited about this guy!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #121: June 09, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »
I've seen him pitch. Its a show me change. Which isn't terrible, but he needs to work on control.
I will have to wait for an actual scouting report.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #122: June 09, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
I will have to wait for an actual scouting report.

I know you're just bashing on Slate, but most scouting reports say similar things (flat CH, no drop, no command, similar release point though).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #123: June 09, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »
I know you're just bashing on Slate, but most scouting reports say similar things (flat CH, no drop, no command, similar release point though).
Just poking him.

:poke: :poke:

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #124: June 10, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
I'm going to agree with Slate here. His ceiling is Syndergaard and his floor is Betances. This guy isn't getting moved by Mikey Rizzo unless the Nats get a cheap, good, controllable player in return. I've always said Fedde is the guy who gets moved, and I'm sticking to that. I forsee a rotation in 2018 consisting of Giolito, Strasburg, Lopez, Scherzer, and Ross. The arms aren't going to be the issue, it's all in the bats.