Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Giants, Game 1 (Curly W)  (Read 20873 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Well the runner on 1st is the critical run, Nick made a good play.

Offline carlfish

Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
I'm gonna get lynched for this...

but Chief is better suited to be a Set-Up Man, imo.  he did well last season, until the Braves figured him out.     and he's our closer because we don't really have anyone better.  but his "Stuff" is not really Closer "Stuff". He doesn't have anything that is really overpowering to bank on.

I think Chief could be a premier Set-up Man, if we could get ahold of a Closer with a 97 MPH Fastball and a good Curve.

(and please don't take that as "Bashing Chief" because that's not really the intention)

You know, he still converts on nearly all his saves.

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "Zimmerman11"
Lets get that DP!!!

You got half of a double play.
HOW ABOUT A STRIKEOUT FOR MR. PERSONALITY AT BAT???

Offline carlfish

BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BANG
ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
........................................BANG!

..........ZOOM![/u]

............................................NATIONALS

.............................WIN!!!
[/size]

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
YESS!!!!!

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Pitch 2 - In play, out(s) recorded
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTG Chief, good game Nats!

Willie Mays Hayes 00

GO NATS!!!! 4 N' A ROW!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Quote from: "carlfish"

but Chief is better suited to be a Set-Up Man, imo.  he did well last season, until the Braves figured him out.     and he's our closer because we don't really have anyone better.  but his "Stuff" is not really Closer "Stuff". He doesn't have anything that is really overpowering to bank on.

I think Chief could be a premier Set-up Man, if we could get ahold of a Closer with a 97 MPH Fastball and a good Curve.

(and please don't take that as "Bashing Chief" because that's not really the intention)

Including tonight ... and overcame an error ...

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Undefeated with an Owner!!!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Quote from: "Zimmerman11"
Undefeated with an Owner!!!
 :lol:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Quote from: "carlfish"

I'm aware of that. :)

Offline PC

I curse Correia for this "almost" loss!!!  May we never see him again!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I disagree, but not in the way you think I do.  I'm not sure I buy into the "closer has to throw heat" school of thinking.  To me, it's all about preventing runs, however it can be done.  Why is the closer role more needy so far as 97 mph than a setup, or starter, or any other pitcher?

You are quoting common wisdom, but I'm not comfortable with that wisdom.  But let's not sully the excellent win, and excellent job by the Chief, who had to get 4 outs for the save.  LEt's continue this discussion in another thread, at another time.  Cheers!

Way to go Nats!!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Quote from: "PC"
I curse Correia for this "almost" loss!!!  May we never see him again!

Amen to that ...but still ... he pitched great - an amazing relief effort ..

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Quote from: "tomterp"

I disagree, but not in the way you think I do.  I'm not sure I buy into the "closer has to throw heat" school of thinking.  To me, it's all about preventing runs, however it can be done.  Why is the closer role more needy so far as 97 mph than a setup, or starter, or any other pitcher?

You are quoting common wisdom, but I'm not comfortable with that wisdom.  But let's not sully the excellent win, and excellent job by the Chief, who had to get 4 outs for the save.  LEt's continue this discussion in another thread, at another time.  Cheers!

Way to go Nats!!!

agreed.  I'll say this in parting.  Chief is a Good Closer.  But I think he'd be an even BETTER Set-Up man.  that's all I am saying.

let's end the discussion now, and celebrate THE WINZ!!!!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Holy crap, we're only 8.5 back? I thought it was 10.0 ... well wadda ya know ...

Offline nats2playoffs

GIANT SLAYERS!!!
STILL UNDEFEATED SINCE THE GRAND REOPENING

and 5-1 since iluvryanzimmerman joined this Board!!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Good win everyone ... have a good night!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Quote from: "nats2playoffs"
and 5-1 since iluvryanzimmerman joined this Board!!!

Rolls eyes, while shaking head...

Offline hammondsnats

Bang Zoom!  Another Curly W Is In the Books!!!