Author Topic: Your card is your ticket to the game  (Read 22945 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Your card is your ticket to the game
« Reply #150: January 29, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »
I got an email from my season ticket group leader via "SplitSeasonTickets Services" instructing the group to set up accounts on this service. I did so and now have access to our group's web pages that includes the home game schedule and a place where we can conduct our draft. I think our group is going to do the draft via this site rather than exchanging emails like we've done in the past. It automatically adds your name to a game on the calender once you've selected that game in the draft.

I imagine we'll all be responsible for printing our own tickets once the draft if final, rather than the group leader distributing them as he's done every other year.  I don't think any of us other than the group leader will get cards.

Hopefully it's smooth - looks good so far.
And I believe you can share with "up to 4 partners" for free.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #151: January 29, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Talked with my Ticket Rep at FANFEST, who was covering for the Red Carpet Rewards area! 

BTW, if you signed up for a season ticket plan last year; and the exhibition game was to be in your plan, it STILL IS!  There was a statement that the Yankee game is no longer included in games.  That's just for Newbies. [...]

Checked 'My Nationals Tickets' just now and my account does have the exhibition match.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #152: January 29, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
If you get Opening Day,  you'll get a commemorative ticket.   It just won't be used for entry.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #153: January 29, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »
If you get Opening Day,  you'll get a commemorative ticket.   It just won't be used for entry.

I suggested that they offer the option of purchasing commemorative tickets for any game you want. Souvenir problem solved.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #154: January 29, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »

Okay, this is my problem. Does anyone else not see that as literally drooling, straightjacket insanity?

Starting this system by forcing it on all STHers, and doing their beta test on OD? There is *no* way it can run smoothly, if only from the idiocy of some people even with a perfect system.

So to avoid nagging about losing the OD ticket, send that out. They are...it just won't be usable. They're already paying for the only way to avoid a clusterorgy on OD, and won't take advantage of it. God, I wish I could get paid for utter incompetence as does whoever is implementing and behind this nightmare.

No one could sell me on this no matter what at this point... But I accept it's a foregone conclusion. Let's just not start it on OD, and do it on game 2. I don't think that's too much to expect, *especially* in light of the Caps nightmare. I knew it was coming for the Nats and never gave it a second thought until I read that horror..

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #155: January 29, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
I would worry about Gio not getting into the HOF instead.

Seriously, just print out your tickets for OD and you're good to go.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #156: January 30, 2013, 04:22:14 AM »
I would worry about Gio not getting into the HOF instead.

Seriously, just print out your tickets for OD and you're good to go.

So they're going to retain entrances dedicated to paper tickets only? Has that been stated, or just going off the way others have done it? Because the bottleneck of the security checkpoints, seems that even if I had a paper ticket the lines from people who don't would be considerable.

Obviously if that's a definite solution for OD, you better believe I'll print it out. Long run though, still a stupid idea to force on every STHer, and even stupider that given the expense of STs, the best option is having to print them out. Paper/ink cost is laughable, but short of a 'print all 81 at once' option, the hassle/time spent logging in and printing out singularly... dislike this entire concept, and even more the way they're going about it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #157: January 30, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »
So they're going to retain entrances dedicated to paper tickets only? Has that been stated, or just going off the way others have done it? Because the bottleneck of the security checkpoints, seems that even if I had a paper ticket the lines from people who don't would be considerable.

Obviously if that's a definite solution for OD, you better believe I'll print it out. Long run though, still a stupid idea to force on every STHer, and even stupider that given the expense of STs, the best option is having to print them out. Paper/ink cost is laughable, but short of a 'print all 81 at once' option, the hassle/time spent logging in and printing out singularly... dislike this entire concept, and even more the way they're going about it.

Even if there aren't lines dedicated to print at home tickets, that is the best option because if 90% of the fans use old style bar code tickets the lines will run much faster for everyone. I'm curious to know whether the same machines work for both the cards and the bar codes, that could definitely affect the wait times based on the quantity of each of the scanners.

I wouldn't recommend printing tickets for all 81 games, just opening day, smaller crowds and more experienced fans and ticket takers will make the card system workable in a short amount of time.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #158: January 30, 2013, 08:08:10 AM »
The cards will have a chip in them and work like SMART TRIP

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #159: January 30, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »

And god knows the SMARTRIP cards make the Metro lines go faster. So we know the potential is there if done properly.

Call me crazy but I won't judge the  idea until I see it in action. Talk to me in 3 months.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #160: January 30, 2013, 09:05:59 AM »

...which means they'll work only half to two-third of the time (from what I've seen, particularly at matchnights - that's why I've never gotten one myself).

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #161: January 30, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
...which means they'll work only half to two-third of the time (from what I've seen, particularly at matchnights - that's why I've never gotten one myself).

Are you talking about Smartrip cards? I've had one for years and never had a problem.

Offline 114D

« Reply #162: January 30, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »
My plan is simple -- throw the cards away and print every ticket on my work printer, then divide them up.  It will be much easier, especially since I have a lot of tickets and many games are split between multiple people.  Paper and time wasted, and no pretty tickets for mementos.  This is the worst idea ever, IMO.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #163: January 30, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »
My plan is simple -- throw the cards away and print every ticket on my work printer, then divide them up.  It will be much easier, especially since I have a lot of tickets and many games are split between multiple people.  Paper and time wasted, and no pretty tickets for mementos.  This is the worst idea ever, IMO.

Printing them all at work, government employee huh?

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #164: January 30, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »

My plans is simple too. Email them and have my partners print them. A whole lot easier than divvying them up myself and making arrangement for pick ups. Been emailing tickets I couldn't use for years. No biggie.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #165: January 30, 2013, 11:44:43 AM »
Are you talking about Smartrip cards? I've had one for years and never had a problem.

Yes - there hasn't been a matchnight (or for that matter just a routine trip to/from the office) when I haven't seen people experiencing problems with them.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #166: January 30, 2013, 11:52:58 AM »
Yes - there hasn't been a matchnight (or for that matter just a routine trip to/from the office) when I haven't seen people experiencing problems with them.

My Nats Park Metro pass died about a year after I bought it, now I stick to the paper card for the couple times a year that I ride Metro.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #167: January 30, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »
My Nats Park Metro pass died about a year after I bought it, now I stick to the paper card for the couple times a year that I ride Metro.

That would be fine and good, but last year, Metro added a surcharge of $1.00 PER TRIP onto paper farecards.  That's on top of the largest fare hike in agency history.  But Smartrip cards have their issues and I've gone through several.  Damned if you, damned if you don't...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #168: January 30, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
That would be fine and good, but last year, Metro added a surcharge of $1.00 PER TRIP onto paper farecards.  That's on top of the largest fare hike in agency history.  But Smartrip cards have their issues and I've gone through several.  Damned if you, damned if you don't...

No kidding, I may have to get another card.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #169: January 30, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »

The $1 charge is called the Metro tourist tax.:~)

I've had the same Smarttrip card for about 3 years and I've used it hundreds of times with no problem. I keep it in my wallet so it might be better protected than some others.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #170: January 30, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »

I ride the Metro during rush hour and I see dozens of people going through using Smartrip cards. Rarely ever a problem. But those are regular users of the system. Game crowds might be different.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #171: January 30, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
I just know I'm gonna jinx myself and should keep my mouth (ok, fingers?) shut, but I have to note that I have been using the same Metro card every day since 2001, literally many thousands of rides.  Maybe they made them better back then?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #172: January 30, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
My understanding is that the Nats cards were made of cheaper materials and failed more often. Next time I'll get a regular card.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #173: January 30, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
My understanding is that the Nats cards were made of cheaper materials and failed more often. Next time I'll get a regular card.

my wife and I both have nats cards- I used it every day until about 4 years ago, and still use it occasionally. Both cards are still going strong 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #174: January 30, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
I just know I'm gonna jinx myself and should keep my mouth (ok, fingers?) shut, but I have to note that I have been using the same Metro card every day since 2001, literally many thousands of rides.  Maybe they made them better back then?

I got my SmarTrip card on the first day they were sold to the public back in 1999. Still have the same card and it still works, though in fairness I'll note that I don't ride the Metro all that often these days.