Author Topic: Strass to Harrisburg  (Read 3090 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Strass to Harrisburg
« Reply #25: March 23, 2010, 11:33:30 PM »
Got tix for the Saturday game in Altoona where he'll likely start. Not a big risk - if he doesn't pitch, I'll skip it. Curve games sell out often, the first Saturday will have huge walkup, so I bet I can recoup my losses.

There's a 10 dollar off 50 at Dick's coupon with the tickets, anyway.

I have pdf, so I can always sell them to another crazy bastard on the forum if I decide to bail.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: March 25, 2010, 04:52:54 PM »
does he pitch in anything meaningful before the start of the AA season?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #27: March 25, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »
Got tix for the Saturday game in Altoona where he'll likely start. Not a big risk - if he doesn't pitch, I'll skip it. Curve games sell out often, the first Saturday will have huge walkup, so I bet I can recoup my losses.

I have pdf, so I can always sell them to another crazy bastard on the forum if I decide to bail.

Now that jerk Randy Knorr says he's pitching on the 8th, of course. :lol: Ok Knorr isn't a jerk but I'll probably not use the tix now.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #28: March 25, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
Now that jerk Randy Knorr says he's pitching on the 8th, of course. :lol: Ok Knorr isn't a jerk but I'll probably not use the tix now.
I didn't know Randy Knorr is managing Harrisburg this year.  Hell yeah!

(Hoping he'll manage the Nats some day, for obvious reasons)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #29: March 25, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »
when is harrisburg's stadium renovations scheduled to be done ... this phase at least?

so april 8 is supposed to be strasburg on the bump?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #30: March 25, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »
when is harrisburg's stadium renovations scheduled to be done ... this phase at least?

so april 8 is supposed to be strasburg on the bump?

Yeah, but it's in Altoona.  About 30 minutes farther than Hburg on from the west side of town, more lopsided from the east.

Blair County Ballpark is really nice and the franchise is one of the best run, period. Nice scoreboard.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #31: March 25, 2010, 10:31:09 PM »
Stras dominates, but it looks like he got tired in the fourth, maybe Rizzo didn't send him down just to gain another year of control?

Strasburg solid in intrasquad Minors game
Right-hander strikes out nine in 79-pitch performance

VIERA, Fla. -- Four days after the Nationals optioned him to Double-A Harrisburg, right-hander Stephen Strasburg pitched in a Minor League intrasquad game Wednesday and was solid in a 0-0 tie.

Strasburg pitched 4 1/3 innings, gave up one hit, struck out nine batters and walked three. Strasburg threw 79 pitches, 46 strikes. His fastball was clocked as high as 98 mph.

Strasburg's best inning occurred in the top of the fourth inning, when he struck out the side. The game came to an end in the top of the fifth inning when Strasburg reached his pitch limit.

That frame turned out to be his weakest, because he walked two batters. At one point, he threw six consecutive balls.

The overall pitching line wasn't the only thing that pleased Strasburg. While in the stretch, Strasburg improved his timing to the plate. At one point, he was clocked at 1.4 seconds while throwing a curveball. The Nationals want him to slow down his delivery while pitching in the stretch, so he can throw better breaking pitches and avoid stress on his shoulder.

Strasburg even and had one at-bat -- a nice sacrifice bunt in the second inning to advance a runner to second base.

"It was good to go out there to get some work in," he said. "I was able to pound the strike zone. It was a good outing."

With Strasburg starting the season with Harrisburg, the team's manager, Randy Knorr, and pitching coach Randy Tomlin were watching Strasburg closely. Knorr said he assumed that Strasburg will be his Opening Day starter against Altoona on April 8. Knorr said Strasburg's schedule during the rest of Spring Training is headed in that direction.

"It's exciting to have Stephen," Knorr said. "Stephen is going to be Stephen. He is going to go out there, do the best that he can and see what happens. I think once he gets through Spring Training, I'm sure he is going to be a little keyed up and nervous in the beginning. Once he settles down, you will see the real Stephen."

Before making his Opening Day start, there is talk of Strasburg pitching in the Nationals' final exhibition game against the Red Sox at Nationals Park. The team is expected to make a decision by the end of the week. Washington wants him to get a feel of what it's like to pitch in a big league atmosphere.

"The [front-office guys] haven't really talked to me about that. All I know is, I have a bullpen session in two days," Strasburg said. "Each new day, I have something to work on. I'm not looking too far into the future right now."

Strasburg has been getting a lot of media attention all Spring Training -- no surprise, as he was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft. No matter what he does -- pitch in the Majors or the Minor Leagues -- it's a big deal.

However, he pointed out that there are a lot of players in the organization who should be recognized.

"There are a lot of guys in the system who work really hard. I'm not the only one out here," Strasburg said. "I can honestly say I'm not the only hard worker here. There are some guys who haven't received the media attention, but if they keep working hard, a lot of fans are going to get to know them. Just don't look at one player -- look at the entire team.

"Look at the Major League team that is up there now. There's a lot of new faces. Just be excited for a new season. Hopefully, my time will be soon. If not, just hang with me. I'm working hard down here."

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #32: March 25, 2010, 10:37:33 PM »
:clap:  Doesn't sound pissy at all to me about being down there.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #33: March 25, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »
His pitch count is high for 4 1/3 innings, but I guess that problem will sort itself out when he gets to the ig leagues... it'll be a lot harder for him to K nine in that many innings. The walks worry me a bit, but it's just one start.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #34: March 26, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »

I got tix to that game too, first row behind the visitor dugout!! Don't know if Strasburg will pitch or not, but I hope to get lucky and get an autograph. It would be awesome I was able to get one on a rookie card or something and Strasburg end up a HOFer. Be awesome to be able to pass that down to my son.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #35: March 26, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
I got tix to that game too, first row behind the visitor dugout!! Don't know if Strasburg will pitch or not, but I hope to get lucky and get an autograph. It would be awesome I was able to get one on a rookie card or something and Strasburg end up a HOFer. Be awesome to be able to pass that down to my son.

You will have fun, I guarantee. I reviewed the park in another SS thread, but Blair Co Ballpark is really nice. Good sightlines, great crowd, nice score board. They are marketed regionally so they do great business. It's right off the highway, too.

PS If I go, come to the cheap seats and have a beer.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #36: March 26, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »
His pitch count is high for 4 1/3 innings, but I guess that problem will sort itself out when he gets to the ig leagues... it'll be a lot harder for him to K nine in that many innings. The walks worry me a bit, but it's just one start.
I was talking to Single A reliever today and he said the pitch count was for a lot of foul balls by just trying to stick out the bat. He did have a number of full counts because of it. Thats all. He also said it was 12 k's to 15 batters...  but whose counting. LOL!

« Reply #37: March 27, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »
Honestly, as a fan, I would rather have one extra year of him later than three extra weeks of him now.

If this team is serious about being a contender, it shouldn't matter.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #38: March 28, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »
You will have fun, I guarantee. I reviewed the park in another SS thread, but Blair Co Ballpark is really nice. Good sightlines, great crowd, nice score board. They are marketed regionally so they do great business. It's right off the highway, too.

PS If I go, come to the cheap seats and have a beer.

Cheap seats? The ones I bought were only $12 lol... What a value!

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #39: March 28, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »
If this team is serious about being a contender, it shouldn't matter.

Why not?  If you push the clock on FA/Arbitration back, you get another year of him which makes it easier to be a contender for one more year before having to deal with the potential monster contract.  This is exactly the move the team should make if it is intent on being a contender for a longer period of time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #40: March 29, 2010, 04:19:45 PM »
Mr. Kilgore is reporting SS will open his pro career @ Altoona on April 11.  

Extrapolate that out, making the 5 starts in Harrisburg everyone's projecting, he'll then pitch on April 16, 21, 27 and May 3.  The games on the 16th, 21st and May 3rd will be at home.  Assuming he then gets the jump to AAA, he'd be on schedule to pitch May 8, 13, 18, 23 and 30.  Only the game on the 18th is on the road.  

That would then put him on schedule, assuming everything goes according to plan, to make his debut in DC, vs. Cincinnati on the weekend of June 4-6.  

Edit***

Zuckerman projects his stars to be on April 16, 21, 26 and May 1.  It looks like he's projecting every 5th day, rather than every 5th game.  Either way, he projected the Cincinnati series for his debut as well.

Edit 2***

I actually missed a day, so my every 5th game projection should be for a May 2 start, not May 3.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #41: March 29, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
June 6th, June 6th, June 6th :pray:

My dad got that game in his ticket package.  Let it happen, ye baseball gods!

Edit: and grrr, son of a B*, they couldn't schedule him to pitch in Bowie, could they? :bang: :rant:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #42: March 29, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
June 6th, June 6th, June 6th :pray:

My dad got that game in his ticket package.  Let it happen, ye baseball gods!

Edit: and grrr, son of a B*, they couldn't schedule him to pitch in Bowie, could they? :bang: :rant:

Sunday, June 6th would be ideal.  I have tickets to that game, it's a Sunday afternoon game against a team that isn't stacked. 

As for not pitching against the Baysox, I don't think we want to give Pete Angelos the chance to bank on Strasburg for his own profits.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #43: March 29, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »
As for not pitching against the Baysox, I don't think we want to give Pete Angelos the chance to bank on Strasburg for his own profits.
Asselos is going to be banking on Strasburg for years, so I couldn't give a crap.  Besides, whatever gate receipts the Baysox would get that day are tiny compared to the size of your standard ML balance sheet.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #44: March 29, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »
Debating whether to get Altoona tickets for the 11th as well.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: March 29, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »
That's seriously a debate?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #46: March 29, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: March 30, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
SS slated to start 4/11 in Altoona. However, 4/11 is the first time the Nats need a 5th starter. So a) they might still use him, or B) he'll be lined up to be plugged into the rotation at any time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #48: March 30, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
B.