1 (7.1%)
Sean Taylor
1 (7.1%)
Moss
0 (0%)
Other
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Favorite Athlete in Washington Outside of Baseball?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline ronnynat

Campbell's slowly moving up to the top, but it's still Arenas for me.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Of active players, I'd have to go with a split between two United players, Ben Olsen and Jaime Moreno.  I really haven't had a fave Cap since Dale Hunter and Peter Bondra left. 

Offline sportsfan882

Caron Butler.  He had a rough childhood to say the least but after spending some time in jail he decided to change his life.  Unlike many professional athletes Caron is a great guy on and off the court.  He does great things for the community and is a model citizen and role model.  On the court he is one of a kind and easily the most consistent player on the Wizards.  Gilbert is great and all but Caron brings it night in and night out.  He is a great rebounder for a guy his size and he is certainly one of the better defenders on the team.  His mid range jump shot is one of the best in the entire league and his free throw shooting is impeccable. 

Gilbert and Ovechkin are close seconds but who knows how long they will be playing for the Wizards and Capitals respectively?  Gilbert is a free agent after this year and I believe Ovechkin is a restricted free agent after this season. Alex is in his prime and wants to win so I see no reason why he wouldn't jump ship at the first chance possible.  I'd like to believe that Gilbert would want to sign a long term deal here since he likes the area and is buddies with a bunch of guys on the team.  It's not like the Wizards are horrible either, making the playoffs 3 years in a row.   

Offline ronnynat

I agree on Caron Butler being a badass and all, but the word "impeccable" should never again be associated w/ shooting free throws. :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I like watching Chris Cooley try to gain momentum after making a catch. It's sort of like watching a crow get pestered by smaller birds... just can't quite get away...

Offline saltydad

As the thread title didn't say "current" athlete, I vote for Darrell Green. I'll never forget watching hime come running from nowhere to catch an otherwise certain TD! Love the man!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kimnat

Here Here!!!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Gotta agree. I was thinking current.
As the thread title didn't say "current" athlete, I vote for Darrell Green. I'll never forget watching hime come running from nowhere to catch an otherwise certain TD! Love the man!

Offline sportsfan882

I agree on Caron Butler being a badass and all, but the word "impeccable" should never again be associated w/ shooting free throws. :)
Shooting 85-90% from the FT line is excellent.  Maybe I should have used a different word. How abut "superb" free throw shooting?  :?

Offline El Kabong

Ovechkin

One of the best things to ever happen to the Capitals' franchise, although if they don't do something soon to stop the bleeding, maybe it'll plant the seeds in his mind to get out of DC.

Offline Dave B

Ovechkin.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Tough question I haven't been able to answer yet.  I like Portis and Moss.  I don't know much about basketball, but both Butler and Arenas have become hometown heros.  I watch hockey even less, but you'd have to have your head in the sand if you havent heard about Ovechkin.  Olie Kolzig is off the list.  I admire him also.  Especially for his Autism causes.

Ovechkin got my vote but sort of like Ali, I haven't had much of a favorite DC player outside of baseball since Peter Bondra left.  I was crushed when he left DC because I grew up watching that guy.

The Redskins haven't had anyone worth cheering for awhile, the Wizards are, well, the Wizards and the NBA sucks, and unfortunately I haven't kept tabs on DC United enough to have gathered a favorite off the team (although I really should).

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!

nospinzone1

Ovechkin

One of the best things to ever happen to the Capitals' franchise, although if they don't do something soon to stop the bleeding, maybe it'll plant the seeds in his mind to get out of DC.

NEED A COACHING CHANGE.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
And he's back! Hey NOSPIN!

Sorry, don't know much about Hockey to comment.  Glad you're back though!