Author Topic: MLB financials, NoVA development, Etc.  (Read 4026 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
MLB financials, NoVA development, Etc.
« Reply #25: November 29, 2010, 10:29:03 AM »
The Marlins ownership are the ones who bankrupted the Montreal franchise, pulled off the disgusting franchise switcheroo to end up in Florida, and are now suspected of defrauding taxpayers of enormous sums of money. They trade away all their arbitration eligibles and let players like Cody Ross just walk away. They play for empty seats every night. Sure, they are superior :roll:

The Lerner family doesn't know a ball club from a hole in ground, but they are extremely smart and successful IN BUSINESS. Check the post today about how they played hardball with the government over eminent domain for the Metro, I'm pretty sure NatsAddict would applaud that. They'll figure it out soon enough, or lose interest and let someone else run the show, but careful what you wish for if you are really pining for Loria.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: November 29, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »
The Lerner family doesn't know a ball club from a hole in ground, but they are extremely smart and successful IN BUSINESS. Check the post today about how they played hardball with the government over eminent domain for the Metro, I'm pretty sure NatsAddict would applaud that.

you're praising them for demanding government subsidize an insane increase in the value of their property by bringing metro to Tysons?

Offline blue911

« Reply #27: November 29, 2010, 10:34:12 AM »
TEAM'S REFUSAL

Before the team was awarded the favorable deal -- the Marlins basically secured every dollar of revenue made at the stadium -- several commissioners argued the city and county had the right to know the team's financial position, given that taxpayer dollars would foot almost $500 million of the stadium's cost.

But the Marlins refused, pointing to their protected status as a private entity.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/25/1790865/outrage-simmers-over-marlins-stadium.html

I find this rather amusing. Why didn't they simply tell the Marlins to go freak themselves?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #28: November 29, 2010, 10:38:38 AM »
you're praising them for demanding government subsidize an insane increase in the value of their property by bringing metro to Tysons?

They got estimates, took the land, and the value dropped. If that had happened to a private business, wouldn't they be SOL?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #29: November 29, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/25/1790865/outrage-simmers-over-marlins-stadium.html

I find this rather amusing. Why didn't they simply tell the Marlins to go freak themselves?

Pretty sure it's because most of the politicians involved are profiting handsomely from the contracts.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: November 29, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »
They got estimates, took the land, and the value dropped. If that had happened to a private business, wouldn't they be SOL?

if it was a private business, they would probably be getting something back for making Lerner Enterprises so much money

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #31: November 29, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »
if it was a private business, they would probably be getting something back for making Lerner Enterprises so much money

Metro isn't always a good thing. Tysons Corner very well could become the next Springfield.

Offline blue911

« Reply #32: November 29, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »
Metro isn't always a good thing. Tysons Corner very well could become the next Springfield.

Georgetown Mall vs Pentagon City.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: November 29, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
Georgetown Mall vs Pentagon City.

I'm guessing Pentagon City brings in more revenue

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #34: November 29, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
The Marlins ownership are the ones who bankrupted the Montreal franchise, pulled off the disgusting franchise switcheroo to end up in Florida, and are now suspected of defrauding taxpayers of enormous sums of money. They trade away all their arbitration eligibles and let players like Cody Ross just walk away. They play for empty seats every night. Sure, they are superior :roll:

The Lerner family doesn't know a ball club from a hole in ground, but they are extremely smart and successful IN BUSINESS. Check the post today about how they played hardball with the government over eminent domain for the Metro, I'm pretty sure NatsAddict would applaud that. They'll figure it out soon enough, or lose interest and let someone else run the show, but careful what you wish for if you are really pining for Loria.

let the marlins worry about the marlins ... we worry about the nats.

and who gives a crap about their business if they aren't successful in giving us a product worth a damn in terms of nats baseball.  and you would think if they were so successful in business and have all this money, we'd see a dime or two spent on this team.  but we don't because they are greedy and cheap.

anywho back to the subject at hand, let's get a #1 starter. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: November 29, 2010, 11:00:35 AM »
but we don't because they are greedy and cheap.

anywho back to the subject at hand, let's get a #1 starter. 

one clause seems to preclude the other

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #36: November 29, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »

Georgetown Mall is like a ghost town. It's depressing. The shopkeepers sit outside their stores and talk about how they aren't making money. They need the metro.

Offline blue911

« Reply #37: November 29, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »

Me too.  I've only been in Georgetown Mall a couple of times but it was like a ghost town.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #38: November 29, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »
http://www.yelp.com/biz/springfield-mall-springfield-2

This is the sadest dead mall in the area. Metro killed the mall. I get sad just thinking about it. Springfield Mall was a huge part of my childhood. I spent a lot of tokens in those Timeouts.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #39: November 29, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »

This is the sadest dead mall in the area. Metro killed the mall. I get sad just thinking about it. Springfield Mall was a huge part of my childhood. I spent a lot of tokens in those Timeouts.

It's not  justmetro, the demographics of the area changed. Metro can bring in upscale residents, like Columbia Heights. The garden apartments and pictureso shops and strip clubs took their toll.

Offline blue911

Re: MLB financials, NoVA development, Etc.
« Reply #40: November 29, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »
It's not  justmetro, the demographics of the area changed. Metro can bring in upscale residents, like Columbia Heights. The garden apartments and pictureso shops and strip clubs took their toll.

Wait a minute. Springfield Mall has strip clubs?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #41: November 29, 2010, 11:08:49 AM »
Wait a minute. Springfield Mall has strip clubs?

There's a couple within walking distance. The old Dauphine "Steak House" is still around, I think.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Re: Rizzo: #1 starter is Nats priority
« Reply #42: November 29, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »

MS13 wasn't that much of a problem at the mall until the Metro brought in the rival gangs. Tysons is a much more exclusive area than Springfield, but people shouldn't think Metro is automatically some great thing. It has hurt areas as well.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: November 29, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »
My problem with all of these statements is one of the largest liabilities is debt, and one of the largest expenses is servicing that debt. call me a pinko commie or whatever, but this reminds me of a leveraged buyout being used to take over a perfectly healthy company then slowly killing it with the cost of servicing the debt

Usually it's not the debt alone, but the debt narrows the margins so much that there is no room for error.  A slight downturn, or unanticipated increase in expenses, can wipe out slim profit margins.  Of course, the opposite is true, for very little money down the returns can be huge.

Garfinkel's, Woodward and Lothrop are two local examples of killed by debt taken on in LBO's.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #44: November 29, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »

I worked in Sport and Hobbie Warehouse for a while.  Dated a girl who worked in Wicks and Sticks.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #45: November 29, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
I worked in Sport and Hobbie Warehouse for a while.  Dated a girl who worked in Wicks and Sticks.

I don't remember Sport and Hobby, but I remember the little trading card shack, Shortstops.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: November 29, 2010, 11:18:32 AM »
I think white flint competes pretty well for shadow of it's former self. I think montgomery mall killed it, but I remember when I lived in Bethesda and it was the 'nice' mall. It also had a Chicken Basket near, and they made the best wings, ribs and fries

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: November 29, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
I think white flint competes pretty well for shadow of it's former self. I think montgomery mall killed it, but I remember when I lived in Bethesda and it was the 'nice' mall. It also had a Chicken Basket near, and they made the best wings, ribs and fries

Montgomery went upscale, and so White Flint is irrelevant. No one can afford Bloomingdale's, but if you can go to a fancy mall and still hit up Sears, that's relevant these days.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #48: November 29, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »
I don't remember Sport and Hobby, but I remember the little trading card shack, Shortstops.

Sport and Hobby was inside one of the arcades, the arcade wrapped around S&H and one other shop on the corner (orange julias?)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #49: November 29, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »
Sport and Hobby was inside one of the arcades, the arcade wrapped around S&H and one other shop on the corner (orange julias?)

Ok I remember now, over by JCPenney?