Author Topic: Bad Nationals Nostalgia / "Lean Years" Memories thread (merged)  (Read 27083 times)

Offline NatsLSU

Re: Post Your "Lean Years" Nats Memories Thread
« Reply #275: September 21, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
Jose Guillen and John Patterson. Patterson was sick when healthy. He had a 15k game I think that was on Fox. Great day. Going to a Nats-Dodgers game at RFK and watching Sotiano and Zimm go yard. Manny Acta...oh wait ..No!!! Emilio Bonifacio and Nyjer sparking our teams for a couple of weeks after being acquired,respectively.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #276: September 21, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
Esteban Laoiza also had a pretty good run in '05

Jose Guillen and John Patterson. Patterson was sick when healthy. He had a 15k game I think that was on Fox. Great day. Going to a Nats-Dodgers game at RFK and watching Sotiano and Zimm go yard. Manny Acta...oh wait ..No!!! Emilio Bonifacio and Nyjer sparking our teams for a couple of weeks after being acquired.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #277: September 21, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »
I wasn't really interested in the Nats during their "lean years" (had not appreaciation for sports until a year ago) but I do remember going to Expos games when I lived in Montreal and being able to sit up very close. They always had really cheap ticket deals (this was in 2001) and my dad brought us every once in a while. I have a ball signed by what seems like half the team. My first baseball memories.

I will admit I haven't gone through the torment that you fans have been through! Tons of dedication on this board. I salute you, weathered Nats fans.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #278: September 21, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »
My lean days:

Going to Griffith Stadium to watch a real double header between the Washington Senators and the New York Yankees

Seeing Mickey Mantle (Harper is today's version, maybe better!)

My favorite players were Mickey Vernon, no. 3 and Jackie Jensen, no. 4

I enjoyed the wonderful old black vendor who in a sing-song fashion said, "Get your hot dogs, hot dogs here, etc."  He was always in the same section and the crowd loved him. 

Sitting through the double header and inevitably losing both games.  But who cared?   I was with my father and last night I had tears in my eyes thinking of him.

There were no fancy boxes to sit in, no President's Race, no lead-up music before each batter, no shirts tossed out to the crowd, etc.

Just good ole baseball!!  It was very special.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #279: September 21, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »
Daniel Cabrera starting the home opener in 2009 vs the Phillies. What a disgrace that was.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #280: September 21, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
don't we already have a "bad nationals nostalgia" thread?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #281: September 21, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
My lean days:

Going to Griffith Stadium to watch a real double header between the Washington Senators and the New York Yankees

Seeing Mickey Mantle (Harper is today's version, maybe better!)

My favorite players were Mickey Vernon, no. 3 and Jackie Jensen, no. 4

I enjoyed the wonderful old black vendor who in a sing-song fashion said, "Get your hot dogs, hot dogs here, etc."  He was always in the same section and the crowd loved him. 

Sitting through the double header and inevitably losing both games.  But who cared?   I was with my father and last night I had tears in my eyes thinking of him.

There were no fancy boxes to sit in, no President's Race, no lead-up music before each batter, no shirts tossed out to the crowd, etc.

Just good ole baseball!!  It was very special.

...the way it should be.

Next 4th August is the fiftieth anniversary of my first-ever baseball match (and first live sporting event generally) - my father took me to Senators vs Red Sox at then-DC Stadium, a 7-5 Nats win...next season we're away to the Brewers that day...if I can get a decent air or train fare I might just make that my first-ever Nats away match.

Offline lougretzky

« Reply #282: September 21, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
After his hot end to 2007, my wife surprised me with....a Wily Mo Pena authentic jersey. Probably the only one ever produced. I wore it to a season ticket holder event and Willingham and Olsen laughed at me!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #283: September 21, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »
When they quit selling the 90 minute IPA. I bawled like a baby

:lmao:

Blue offering perspective.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #284: September 21, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »
Jim Riggleman - the moron.

I really don't see us in the playoffs this year if he hadn't left the way he did.  Davey may (or may not have) ended up manager this year anyway, but I believe Davey having half a year with the team last year played a big part in this season's success.

Being a fan of this franchise for about 35 years... '94 and the years that followed for Montreal almost turned me off baseball forever.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #285: September 21, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
I went to high school with a lot of rich kids, some of whom were my close friends. In 2003, at the age of 16, I made a bet with my friend's dad that the Expos would make the playoffs. If they did, he would fly me and his son to Montreal to attend their first home playoff game.

The Expos were tied for the wildcard lead as late as September, but of course ended up losing it to the Marlins.

Offline BCH89

« Reply #286: September 21, 2012, 10:48:01 AM »
Walking around selling lemonade at RFK.
Getting there 4 hours early to get all the stands set up for when the gates opened.
Being able to sit in the mezzanine when we got off work around the 7th inning.

Offline NookLoganMafia

« Reply #287: September 21, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
After his hot end to 2007, my wife surprised me with....a Wily Mo Pena authentic jersey. Probably the only one ever produced. I wore it to a season ticket holder event and Willingham and Olsen laughed at me!

This is an awesome story.  Seriously.  Worst.  Birthday.  Gift.  Ever.  Although if you wore it to the Park now, you'd be instantly identified as a true fan (although 90% of the people would probably have no idea he ever played for the Nats).

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #288: September 21, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
Jim Riggleman - the moron.

Manny Acta - the loser.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #289: September 21, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
Clown GM hires loser Clown Manager.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #290: September 21, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »
Natinals

Offline Fan037

« Reply #291: September 21, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
...the way it should be.

Next 4th August is the fiftieth anniversary of my first-ever baseball match (and first live sporting event generally) - my father took me to Senators vs Red Sox at then-DC Stadium, a 7-5 Nats win...next season we're away to the Brewers that day...if I can get a decent air or train fare I might just make that my first-ever Nats away match.

Hope you get to go!!

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #292: September 21, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »
Is it an urban legend that they discontinued the red "DC" alternate uniforms because they were being bought by members of the Bloods street gang to whom DC meant "Death to Crips"?

Offline fersaltiel

« Reply #293: September 21, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
Jason Bergmann and Shawn Hill. Man, those guys had some games that'd make you think they had ace stuff. Ah, the good old days...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #294: September 21, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
when we used to complain about Jayson Werth......

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #295: September 21, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #296: September 21, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »
Being the only Nats fan in Shea stadium at a game in August 2007.  Joel Hanrahan hit a triple off Pelfry as I recall.  I caught a lot of crap in the Shea parking lot before the game, luckily the Nats won.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #297: September 21, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
I read somewhere, I think it was Jdland.com, that it was exactly eight years ago to the date from the Expos move announcement to the clinch. Nice.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #298: September 21, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
Being the only Nats fan in Shea stadium at a game in August 2007.  Joel Hanrahan hit a triple off Pelfry as I recall.  I caught a lot of crap in the Shea parking lot before the game, luckily the Nats won.

Daughter and I saw Nats / Mets the first April after the Nats traded Brian Schneider and Ryan Church for Lastings Milledge. A cold night, lethargic Nats, and probably Matt Chico pitching. Mets fans shouting "Thanks for Church and Schneider", as Johnny Estrada caught for the Nats, and, I think, Milledge and Willy Mo Pena were in the outfield. Ryan Zimmerman seemed like the only live ballplayer in a Nats uniform, except for The Chief, who pitched the bottom of the 8th on pure will-power. Couldn't break 80 mph, so it must have been one of his last games. John Maine throwing 95 mph; Chico throwing about 89.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #299: September 21, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »